question for steve

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
steve would you explain why you changed the rules for voting or am I wrong about the rules ? since a lot of people did'nt know about this site till they were informed about the voting for there favorite one pocket player they naturally just joined and i was informed they could'nt vote because they were'nt a member for the last 30 days . artie b could'nt even vote for himself nor his one daughter . his other daughter got to vote though . you have to understand that rules should'nt be changed while the voting was going on ! it taken time for some people to pass the word about this site and then they join and cant vote . i think its kind of unfair to the new people who joined so they could vote on an important ballot . the object is to get more people interested one pocket , casting their vote i'm sure would make them more interested to see how the voting was going . i'm sure you have an explanation thats why i'm asking for a few people who want to know why and for what reason they could'nt vote ! I mean its not right when you cant even vote for yourself ! artie b did'nt even know this was going on until a week ago . philip guagliardo

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I had to restrict 'New Member's voting privileges because of the potential of developing problems with new registrations for the sole purpose of voting for a certain players. Although that is a common problem with unrestricted internet elections, it has not been a problem on this site in the past. I dislike the restrictions as well, but it had to be done to maintain the credibility of the balloting.

Certainly I want as many genuine new fans of the game to join and vote, and go on to participate in OnePocket.org in other ways. However, I would be doing all of our long-standing members a disservice if I allowed the voting to turn into a contest of who can recruit the most new members just to vote – not to mention a disservice to all the outstanding Hall of Fame candidates not benefiting from the practice.

I manage the One Pocket Hall of Fame event in connection with the Derby City Classic. I can assure you that Greg Sullivan and company are very concerned about the potential problem of 'knowing who is voting'. It is a legitimate concern for unrestricted internet voting. Existing members have been around long enough to establish a known reputation; new members have not.

New members will have an opportunity to become known too, and they will have many years of opportunity to vote in future elections -- if they stick around and get involved.

Thank you for your understanding -- and support.
Steve Booth
OnePocket.org

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Loophole plugged...

Loophole plugged...

As I see it, there was a loophole in the HOF member voting rules which resulted in "stuffing the ballot box" in favor of certain players. It seems to me that the loophole has now been plugged. If this had continued, the integrity of the poll would have been at the very least, tarnished; at it's worst, meaningless. The character of the entire site, along with the HOF would have been put into question.

I looked at the Mission Statement of OnePocket.org in the "About Us" menu. For anyone who hasn't yet read it, it's pretty clear what the purpose of this site is. Judging by his recent action, I think the Administrator has done a very creditable job of holding the site to it's mission.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
New voting rules

New voting rules

After much consideration, I am inclined to agree with Gulfport Doc and Steve Booth regarding the new voting exclusion rules of 30 day minimum membership. If nothing else it will encourage more people to sign on now so that they can vote in next year's event.
the Beard

Vote on, brothers!

SactownTom

Has anyone used the 'referral' option for this forum?

If you have introduced friends and fellow players (yes, they could be one in the same) to this site, there is a 'referral' option for the new member to give credit for the introduciton.

"Open" voting would be better for web traffic, but wouldn't IMO validate the voting process.

Good Work Steve, as always.