Question for John B on straightbacks

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
John, I have a "How do you approach it" type question on longer straightbacks. Actually, the way I approach it- wondering if any of your calibre see it this way.

I have 2-3 systems for straight-backs, we all know "like it lays" where you play the angle of it, and maybe add a little spin to help straighten it...

I seem to be higher % on S.B. banks using another method - "take it as it is" and Adjust-- meaning, on a hot day you adjust the speed or Cueball throw amount by recalling the effects of temperature range on object ball english - for example when it is hot, a WIDE angle ball can be held more with English than it can with speed. And on a cold day, a bit different. And relating how a ball holds at different speeds seems to consistently change with Temp...SO...

This has become second nature, and actually very consistent for me. Do you find yourself using a different set of 'Speeds' in warmer environment(TV Table) vs a colder table?

I literally have memorized and noted the BELOW 68 degree room, the 68-74 degree room, and the 75-88 degree room, and 90-92 and 93-98. I keep these groups in memory and adjust up or down according to humidity.

I have found what works for me, and all that Half-ball hit, 2-4 line, stuff is actually harder to remember than this is.....Now, it has evolved past straightbacks, right into my other banks as well...

Do you feel this is good or would you suggest a different approach?

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
i cant speak for John, but as I recall him telling me he hits just about every bank with about the same speed watching him he does, unless its a unusual shot; and uses spin to make the area on the cushion a bigger target, he uses the same stroke thats for sure. I'm going off memory here so dont shoot the messanger.

I shoot straight backs better than most other banks and I cant really eplaine how I do it, I use the same stroke for sure. I know this because when I havent played banks in a while that stroke disappears and so does my % of pocketing straight backs.

i'm just responding to this thread hopeing to attract some more attention to it, i'm far from a good bank player, I have my moments. I have played Cotton lots of banks, who Banks real good and he spins in all his straight backs, unless he needs to stiffen it up to hold the rock to avoid a kiss, this way gives you a much larger area of rail to hit because it deends on how much spin you put on the CB. Also if there are balls on the head rail in the way by using enough spin you can shoot the CB 5" away from the point and it will still curve back in. Its a feel thing. Same stroke just different amount of spin,

Its hard to explain

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:
John, I have a "How do you approach it" type question on longer straightbacks. Actually, the way I approach it- wondering if any of your calibre see it this way.

I have 2-3 systems for straight-backs, we all know "like it lays" where you play the angle of it, and maybe add a little spin to help straighten it...

I seem to be higher % on S.B. banks using another method - "take it as it is" and Adjust-- meaning, on a hot day you adjust the speed or Cueball throw amount by recalling the effects of temperature range on object ball english - for example when it is hot, a WIDE angle ball can be held more with English than it can with speed. And on a cold day, a bit different. And relating how a ball holds at different speeds seems to consistently change with Temp...SO...

This has become second nature, and actually very consistent for me. Do you find yourself using a different set of 'Speeds' in warmer environment(TV Table) vs a colder table?

I literally have memorized and noted the BELOW 68 degree room, the 68-74 degree room, and the 75-88 degree room, and 90-92 and 93-98. I keep these groups in memory and adjust up or down according to humidity.

I have found what works for me, and all that Half-ball hit, 2-4 line, stuff is actually harder to remember than this is.....Now, it has evolved past straightbacks, right into my other banks as well...

Do you feel this is good or would you suggest a different approach?

First off,english dosen't take good when the table is damp or sticky or humid..whatever you want to call It. Banking short Is what I call It. I tend to not hit them as hard under conditions like that.One reason the pockets will be playing playing tight when there like that. another thing I do Is use more of a natrual angle when playing under humid conditions,because like I said,english won't work very well. I have noticed that when In somebodys house...just a few extra people coming In can really effect the way the tables plays.You just have to pay attention and learn to adjust. Hope that helps.