Pool Nickname challenge

jnav447

From
Orlando, Fl
How about Richie "Rich" Richeson (that's the way it's spelled on the Accu-Stats tape), arguably one of the top 5 or 10 1P players currently. I don't know if Tang Hoa has a knickname but he plays nice 1P. Also, "One Pocket" Charlie Justice was a terrific 1P for 30 years (played great banks, too). He played just under champion speed in his prime, and played the stack as well as anybody. He died about 4 years ago. He was an old-school hustler who was a lot of fun and got a lot of younger players interested in 1P - he is sorely missed. Maybe John "JD" Dougherty (sp?) from Seattle, a really good 1P player. Glad to see Lotsapoppa on the list; real fun guy, could do stuff I never saw anyone else do, and probably the best pure hustler I ever saw. San Jose Dick was the best I ever saw at playing with any housecue - he'd let you pick the worst, warped, mushroomed-tip, 15 oz dog and never miss a ball. I never saw Bugs - he's probably the top housecue guy. Ernest "One Armed Bandit" Morgan gave the best exhibitions I ever saw (maybe next to Mike Massey) - he could do stuff one-handed jacked up that was incredible. I am in awe of your list - thanks for the effort, it was a blast going through it and dredging up painful memories (lost a ton to Surfer Rod and Flyboy in the 70's - they were 2 topnotch road dogs).

jnav447

From
Orlando, Fl
Can't believe I forgot Nick "The Kentucky Colonel" Varner. Also, Alex "The Lion" Pagulayan and Kim "California Kim" Davenport. Correction to my last post: should be John "JD" Doherty. AZ Billiards lists Sparky Ferrule - I think Sam is right for first name. Two pretty good players that may have nicknames are John Schmidt and David Matlock.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Horseface Harry

Horseface Harry

One of the great nick-names of all time is Horse-face Harry from Detroit, who is sometimes innocuously referred to as Harry the Horse. But believe me, Cornbread Red -- who I think gave him the name -- only called him Horse-face. He was around the Rack in Detroit during its heyday. He once beat a black player named Washington Tony out of $50,000 in one night. They started out playing for $100 a game-- which at the time was Horse-face's limit. Tony forced him to win the money. Harry played a good short-stop speed.
the Beard
Old school pool. Bank on, brother!

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
fred bentivegna said:
Phil, the "Hat" that beat me in SC was Eddie Burton. You are thinking of Ronnie The Hat Mayes. (AKA The Bald Eagle)
Freddy
Fred, I might add that Rich "Rocketman" Slupik did a wonderful impersonation of Ronnie " The Hat" Mayes.
Phil Welch

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Pelican said:
Mike "Biloxi Mike" Suber. 4th place at DCC ought to earn hi m aspot on the list.

Pel

Gotta spellcheck that name for you....That would be Mike Surber....and he does play real good one pocket, and banks.

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
Originally Posted by Smorgass Bored
If you're talking about Tall Paul from New Orleans,his name is Paul Kopple(sp) and he lives in Slidell,La. His home weathered Katrina nearly unscathed.

hemicudas said:
Did he ever live on the east coast, Smorg? Seems like Tall Paul did. That's why I was thinking Grady would remember. He was friends with Steve Oaks at one time.

I saw a youtube match the other day with a West Coaster named 'Tall Paul', but it wasn't the Tall Paul from New Orleans. The New Orleans 'Tall Paul' has had that nickname as far back as I can remember...
Doug
( sorry that it took so long to answer you.......... only two years :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Smorgass Bored said:
I saw a youtube match the other day with a West Coaster named 'Tall Paul', but it wasn't the Tall Paul from New Orleans.
The "Tall Paul" from the Bay Area is Paul Barros (sp). He always played good shortstop speed-- about like Dave Piona. His game in his prime would be comparable to Mississippi's JayBird. Paul must be in his late fifties now. Our man John Henderson knows him very well.

Doc

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Last time I saw 'Tall Paul' Barrows he was living in Reno NV. And, the player he was practicing against was John Henderson
BTW, I took the video that is on YouTube.

gulfportdoc said:
The "Tall Paul" from the Bay Area is Paul Barros (sp). He always played good shortstop speed-- about like Dave Piona. His game in his prime would be comparable to Mississippi's JayBird. Paul must be in his late fifties now. Our man John Henderson knows him very well.

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
Last time I saw 'Tall Paul' Barrows he was living in Reno NV. And, the player he was practicing against was John Henderson
That was a cute video, Tom. It cracked me up. Looks like it wasn't shot that long ago. Have you posted any others on YouTube?

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
That was a cute video, Tom. It cracked me up. Looks like it wasn't shot that long ago. Have you posted any others on YouTube?

Doc
Paul & I were playing for $20 a game before the monthly Hard Times One Pocket Tournament. That safety I played makes me look like a sucker. Come to think of it, I am a sucker anymore. I told the guys at the room I have turned into the kind of guy I used to go looking for. I think I can still play (can't), have a little $$ and will bet it. I usually tee it up with Roger Estelle before the tournament, but he travels so much he isn't always there. Lets me bet want I want too. What a guy! The good thing about gambling before the tournament is they only have a couple of hours to take you off. There is a monthly tournament coming up next Saturday and there will be a few of them there early waiting to nab the prize (me). Billy Palmer wins most of the tournaments, but he may be in Reno at the Bar Table tournament, so someone else may have a chance.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:

Doc
Paul & I were playing for $20 a game before the monthly Hard Times One Pocket Tournament. That safety I played makes me look like a sucker. Come to think of it, I am a sucker anymore. I told the guys at the room I have turned into the kind of guy I used to go looking for. I think I can still play (can't), have a little $$ and will bet it. I usually tee it up with Roger Estelle before the tournament, but he travels so much he isn't always there. Lets me bet want I want too. What a guy! The good thing about gambling before the tournament is they only have a couple of hours to take you off. There is a monthly tournament coming up next Saturday and there will be a few of them there early waiting to nab the prize (me). Billy Palmer or T-Rex win most of the tournaments, but they may be in Reno at the Bar Table tournament, so someone else may have a chance.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Would like to see

Would like to see

SactownTom said:

Do you have a link to that video or do I have to search for it?
Thanks

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
Come to think of it, I am a sucker anymore. I told the guys at the room I have turned into the kind of guy I used to go looking for. I think I can still play (can't), have a little $$ and will bet it.
We used to call that chummin', John...:D A good tactic for unsuspecting fish. I suspect you're still a pretty dangerous player. Hell, I wish we had a monthly 1P tourney around here!

Doc

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Tall Paul and John Henderson
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=iTTCHEQ9Zkc[/ame]

Ronnie Allen practicing.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZHE0Nn9K74[/ame]

These are the only videos I've posted and they were from last year.

Maybe there will be more in the future....

I've a ton of pics for the players in the HardTimes tournaments.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Thanks Ghost

Thanks Ghost

One Pocket Ghost said:
Gotta spellcheck that name for you....That would be Mike Surber....and he does play real good one pocket, and banks.

I knew it was Surber, that was one of those my fingers were going faster than my brain :eek: . Reckon I need to hire me a proof reader :D

Later, Pel

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
Deal Me IN

Deal Me IN

Pelican said:
.....that was one of those my fingers were going faster than my brain. Reckon I need to hire me a proof reader :D
Later, Pel

I'm avrailable.
Doug
( for the write priece )