Pool Nickname challenge

bjspivey

Verified Member
From
TEXAS
names

names

hemicudas said:
Tony "Shrimp Boat" Watson and Freddy, Grady, I need help with this one,,,, Tall Paul ???? Never knew his last name.
Do you mean Treetop He was Tall Paul I think,? :confused:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
bjspivey said:
Do you mean Treetop He was Tall Paul I think,? :confused:
Might be, BJ. I only knew him by Tall Paul. Another is, Jamie "Red Riffle" Farrell and Jason "Jaybird" Breland.

Last edited:

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
nicknames

nicknames

What about Seattle Sam Trevitt from some little town in N. Carolina, who came to the Rack n Cue in Detroit with Phil Hubbard? And Patch Eye, aka One-Eyed Henry aka Jafar Basheer. And what about Hoon Dog Calhounwho bet hi at the Rack and played one pocket on the 5 by 10 there. And what about Black Bart, Bob Ogborn.

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
Nickname

Nickname

After running the U.S. Open One Pocket for so many years and spending way too much time around Grady, some of the players started calling me Grady Jr. or "The Little Professor" especially after I started shaving my head. I don't think I did as much for the game to be among the legends listed there, but it's a nice homage to Mr. Mathews. Every time I play the game I run into shots and moves that he taught me either in the room or via books and videos.

I also didn't see George "Trickshooter" Middleditch on the list.

Matt Rosendaul

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
carlajohnson said:
What about Seattle Sam Trevitt from some little town in N. Carolina, who came to the Rack n Cue in Detroit with Phil Hubbard? And Patch Eye, aka One-Eyed Henry aka Jafar Basheer. And what about Hoon Dog Calhounwho bet hi at the Rack and played one pocket on the 5 by 10 there. And what about Black Bart, Bob Ogborn.
Is it Sam Trivett or Trevitt? I probably just entered a typo spelling it Trivett...

And would I spell that Houn' Dog Calhoun?

You all are doing a fantastic job -- keep them coming!!

Still wondering about a real name for 'Tall Paul' or 'Treetop', too...

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
hemicudas said:
Grady, I need help with this one,,,, Tall Paul ???? Never knew his last name.

If you're talking about Tall Paul from New Orleans,his name is Paul Kopple(sp) and he lives in Slidell,La. His home weathered Katrina nearly unscathed.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Smorgass Bored said:
If you're talking about Tall Paul from New Orleans,his name is Paul Kopple(sp) and he lives in Slidell,La. His home weathered Katrina nearly unscathed.
Did he ever live on the east coast, Smorg? Seems like Tall Paul did. That's why I was thinking Grady would remember. He was friends with Steve Oaks at one time.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Crying Sam

Crying Sam

NH Steve said:
Is it Sam Trivett or Trevitt? I probably just entered a typo spelling it Trivett...

And would I spell that Houn' Dog Calhoun?

I knew Seattle Sam Trivett in Houston, where we played bank pool at the Le Cue. Of course I won! I wound up giving Greg Big Train Stevens 1/2 ball playing bank, 9 to 8. I was with the famous tush-hog, Sugar Shack Johnny Novak and 3-Fingered Ronnie Sypher, AKA Ocean City Ronnie. Sam's more common nickname at the time was "Cryin' " Sam, because he cried and groaned about everything during a game. He had spent time with Eddie Taylor and banks was probably his best game.

Old-School Pool, Bank on, brother!
the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Baby brother

Baby brother

This one has got to go in, from Chicago, Richard "Baby Brother" Powell, the greatest black 3 cushion player who ever lived. Jim Parker from the Ill. Billiard Club in Chicago, is doing a 2 part story in the mag, Professor Q- Ball about the exploits of Richard Powell. Few humans have ever heard of him, outside of Chi. He played great in the 50s and 60s but wasnt allowed in the tourneys because he was black. For money, he robbed many of the big guns. But I'll let Jim Parker tell you the stories in Professor Q-Ball.

Old School Pool, Bank on, brother!
the Beard

thepavlos

Verified Member
From
BOSTON, MA
professor Q-ball

professor Q-ball

Hi
What is the subscription info or phone number for that magazine?
Thanks
Paul

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
hemicudas said:
Actually it was, Calvin "Country" Harcrow, Steve. Charlie was right about the mixture though. Calvin use to do pushups between racks. Looked something like this.
I just noticed that it doesn't seem like this could be the same 'Country' referred to by Bugs and Grady, since Grady described 'Country' as a black player :) . Bill, you must be talking about 'Crazy Calvin', who is also described in Buddy Hall's book, Rags to Rifleman.

So, any ideas about the player Grady and Bugs were talking about called 'Country'??

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Country

Country

NH Steve said:
I just noticed that it doesn't seem like this could be the same 'Country' referred to by Bugs and Grady, since Grady described 'Country' as a black player :) . Bill, you must be talking about 'Crazy Calvin', who is also described in Buddy Hall's book, Rags to Rifleman.

So, any ideas about the player Grady and Bugs were talking about called 'Country'??
You are right, Steve. It isn't the black guy, Country, but the guy you refered to as Country Calvin Hargrove, and he was called Country, actually his last name was/is Harcrow as opposed to Hargrove. Many people made that mistake as they called Greg Stevens, Craig Stevens. I am sure Calvin could have been refered to as Crazy at times too. Calvin Harcrow is left handed if that helps.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In the Legends of Bank Pool nominations thread a few more nicknames came up -- how about some help with these:

'Howard the Coward'
-- who was/is he?
'West Side Johnny Boy' -- do you have a real name and is he still playing?
Is or was Tony Coleman known as 'Banks' or 'Benton Harbor Tony'?
'Black Hank' from NY -- any more info or whole name?

Also, I wanted to thank Lloyd Welcome for sending me a whole bunch of names and corrections. The list now is up to about 300 names.

r0ttie1

Verified Member
From
Phoenix
NH Steve said:
In the Legends of Bank Pool nominations thread a few more nicknames came up -- how about some help with these:

'Howard the Coward'
-- who was/is he?
'West Side Johnny Boy' -- do you have a real name and is he still playing?
Is or was Tony Coleman known as 'Banks' or 'Benton Harbor Tony'?
'Black Hank' from NY -- any more info or whole name?

Also, I wanted to thank Lloyd Welcome for sending me a whole bunch of names and corrections. The list now is up to about 300 names.
I've heard of Tony Coleman refered to as "Banks" and he is from Benton Harbor.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
fred bentivegna said:
I knew Seattle Sam Trivett in Houston, where we played bank pool at the Le Cue. Of course I won! I wound up giving Greg Big Train Stevens 1/2 ball playing bank, 9 to 8. I was with the famous tush-hog, Sugar Shack Johnny Novak and 3-Fingered Ronnie Sypher, AKA Ocean City Ronnie. Sam's more common nickname at the time was "Cryin' " Sam, because he cried and groaned about everything during a game. He had spent time with Eddie Taylor and banks was probably his best game.

Time and drugs have fried my brain. Sam Trivett was not the banker known as cryin Sam. That was Cryin' Sam Crotcher, and that was who I played. If I remember, Trivett was a fat guy. Howard the Coward is dead. He died young from cancer and heart failure. West Side Johnny Boy is dead. He also died young. Probable OD'd, as he was a heavy heroin user. Piggy Bank had a lot of trouble playing Howard and he could never beat Johnny Boy. Howard and Johnny Boy were both gunfighters and perfect gentlemen to play with.
Tony Coleman from Benton Harbor, MI is known as Tony Banks.
Bank on, brothers. Old school pool.
I have Black Hank, from NY's name at home somewhere. I'll post it when I return from the BCA tourn in Vegas. On a five by ten, Bugs didnt like it.
the Beard

Last edited:

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
I think the guy you played who was called "Cryin' Sam" Crotcher was also known as "Okie Sam". In Eddie Robin's book "Shots, Moves & Strategies", Eddie Taylor mentions him as his road partner for years before he moved to San Francisco and died in the '80s. I think in the book Robin spelled his name as "Crotzer" but I'm not sure.

ironman

Verified Member
Country Calvin

Country Calvin

Country Calvin hailed from Warren Arkansas and was without a doubt the most vivacious 9-ball player to play the game. The last I heard,he owned a place in Texarkana and was married.
The observations are correct! When Calvin got his "recipie" right, ( and he would work very hard to get it right) he was subject to beat anyone, and beat them badly. He was quite a character.
Don't forget about "Jumpin" Tony Watson!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hank Montague

Hank Montague

The black player from Chicago that never left the South Side and played as good as anybody was, NY Hank Montague. I personally seen him play Eddie Taylor to a draw in bank pool on a five by ten at 51st and Indiana. Bugs avoided him, and I hate to admit that I ducked him too. He played way too safe for my taste.
Country Calvin was a real character. I played him in Hot Springs, AR. He was so jacked up when we played, that his feet never touched the floor the whole set. He just levitated around the table.
I will come with West Side Johnny Boy and Howard the Coward's name as soon as I get in touch with Piggy Bank.
Bank on, brothers! Old school pool.
the Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
backpocket9ball sent me a few more Philly area nicknames, which I have added in my database, but not yet added on the Nickname page, but will soon.

I was also wondering about some other names bandied about here recently:

I could use real names for:
West Side Johnny Boy
Sleepy Bob
Harry the Hook
George the Drummer
Bus Driver Ronnie

Thanks