Pool Nickname challenge

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,549
In the History of One Pocket section here on OnePocket.org I have just put up a new page on pool nicknames. It includes an index of 158 player names along with their AKA's.
http://onepocket.org/Nicknames.htm

You will notice that they are arranged alphabetically, both by real name and by nickname -- but there is no 'key' to connect the nicknames with the real names. Well, I thought some of you might enjoy a real challenge -- to see how many you can figure out on your own :) I'll include the 'key' in a couple of weeks or so after you guys have a crack at the list without the 'key'.

Also, I'd like to add more names and nicknames, and that's another place the challenge comes in: I'll be happy to send a free OnePocket.org polo shirt (like the one Efren Reyes wore in winning the DCC One Pocket division in 2005 :) ) to whoever sends me the most usable additional names for the list. That's a $40 value!!

The rules are simple:
  1. Be pretty sure of the real name spelling if you can
  2. No insignificant locals please -- these should be either players or backers that well-traveled road players at least would know of
  3. Be prepared to know something about the player/backer whose names you are submitting so I can 'verify' the names
  4. Quality is as important as quantity, so the integrity of the list is maintained

Have fun!
 

Troy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
89
Tony Chohan, aka "T-Rex".
Although he's relatively a youngster, he shoots well enough to be included.

Troy
 

suki

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2004
Messages
328
Great fun Steve

Great fun Steve

However I don't know how many we will miss as I feel a lot of players that would be recognized in the West have never been heard of East of the Mississippi. Especially in the early years of pool when there was no internet.
Now the following I would suggest I am not sure everyone knows but I sure did and even in my early years I never got past Nevada playing pool.
Sax Del Porto Don't know if he had a nickname, cannot remember
Mark (the snake) Haddad
"One Eye" Hank Hurst
"Texas" Tony(forgot last name)
"San Jose" Dick (some people thought that was me. lol)(no last name)
"Filipino Gene" Gene Ventura?
Billy Palmer
Lettuce Larry(Oyler)
Ray(surfer) Suden at least that what we called him, might have another handle, he spent awhile on the east coast.

I am sure there are a lot more
 

Troy

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
89
San Jose Dick is on Steve's list.
I don't think Billy Palmer has an AKA.
Filipino Gene is definitely Gene Ventura.
Then there's Al the Plumber who played at the old Cal Billiards some 20+ years ago.
And who could forget Memo... :) He's still around. He has two license plates, "PLRSCEO" and "PLRZCEO".

Troy

suki said:
However I don't know how many we will miss as I feel a lot of players that would be recognized in the West have never been heard of East of the Mississippi. Especially in the early years of pool when there was no internet.
Now the following I would suggest I am not sure everyone knows but I sure did and even in my early years I never got past Nevada playing pool.
Sax Del Porto Don't know if he had a nickname, cannot remember
Mark (the snake) Haddad
"One Eye" Hank Hurst
"Texas" Tony(forgot last name)
"San Jose" Dick (some people thought that was me. lol)(no last name)
"Filipino Gene" Gene Ventura?
Billy Palmer
Lettuce Larry(Oyler)
Ray(surfer) Suden at least that what we called him, might have another handle, he spent awhile on the east coast.

I am sure there are a lot more
 

bjspivey

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
63
names

names

Lizard [Steve Smith] Little Al, [Mason], Posie[Prather], Gabby, Fort Worth? Buddy,[DennisOk],Brier,W.Va,, Vernon Spivey,my dad!,B.J.[Dallas] :D Brenda Spivey :pT.R From fla [backer],Torpedo,Max[Dallas],Little Earl[Collins]Ky,Fat Randy [Tulsa,Ok]Cowboy [Alb]Roadrunner {Fla]Sufer Rod [calif],Big Mike [Dallas,Backer]Rubin[Dallas]Fibber,[dallas Backer],Leamon[Alb]Burl {Corbin Ky]TheGoose,[Benny Conway],Twilight Zone Larry,[Mobile],Broomstick[Mobile] :eek:where is my spell check? :confused:Forth-Worth Blackie [Backer],Big Ralph[Ft.Worthbacker]Bomar[Dallas],Rusty[Dallas backer],Billy T.[Dallas],Dink, Huntington W.Va.Hessie[Adkins]also! Pittsburg Paul,[Huntington.]Amarillo Slim[Thomas Austin Preston Jr.]Can play better than you think!! Akron Joey ,JOE KERR and My old friend who got me out of a verrry tight spot in Kilgore Tx-Glen Knowles a good o-p, Bank & 9-ball player from Youngstown Ohio.The Bushwacker --Gary nolen.Jimmy Reed, thats "35"now!! lol
 
Last edited:

diane

Verified Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2004
Messages
11
Sum mo names

Sum mo names

Okay, here's a few more...
Eddie "The Hat" Burton-from North Carolina I believe
"Flyboy" Jimmy Spears-Houston, TX
Robert "Lefty" Bennett-Knoxville, TN
"BB eyes" CJ Wiley-Dallas, TX
"Mags" Mark Gregory-Ocalla, FL
"John Drew" John Hagar, Jr-San Antonio, TX
"Fat Harold" Dollar-North Carolina
"Fountain Inn Red" James Willis-Fountain Inn, SC
"Doughboy" Shannon Daulton's other aka-Somerset, KY
"The Driller" Gary Drennan-Oklahoma
"Canadian" Joe Lawrence-duh!
"Diamond Bill" Cress-Seattle, WA via Madison, WI
Roger "The Rocket" Griffis-Good ole Texas boy
Marco "The Snake" Marquez-Mexico
"Junior" Norris-Texas
"Smokey" Bartlett-Texas
Larry "The Turtle" Price-Kentucky
"Country" Calvin-Texarkana, TX
"Mad-dog" Mike Danner-Mobile, AL
Knicknames only (don't know their real name)..."Tangle eyes"..."Topwater"...
"Weasel"..."Hippy Dave"..."Chew-ta-bacca"............................. :D
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,549
diane said:
Okay, here's a few more...
Eddie "The Hat" Burton-from North Carolina I believe
"Flyboy" Jimmy Spears-Houston, TX
Robert "Lefty" Bennett-Knoxville, TN
"BB eyes" CJ Wiley-Dallas, TX
"Mags" Mark Gregory-Ocalla, FL
"John Drew" John Hagar, Jr-San Antonio, TX
"Fat Harold" Dollar-North Carolina
"Fountain Inn Red" James Willis-Fountain Inn, SC
"Doughboy" Shannon Daulton's other aka-Somerset, KY
"The Driller" Gary Drennan-Oklahoma
"Canadian" Joe Lawrence-duh!
"Diamond Bill" Cress-Seattle, WA via Madison, WI
Roger "The Rocket" Griffis-Good ole Texas boy
Marco "The Snake" Marquez-Mexico
"Junior" Norris-Texas
"Smokey" Bartlett-Texas
Larry "The Turtle" Price-Kentucky
"Country" Calvin-Texarkana, TX
"Mad-dog" Mike Danner-Mobile, AL
Knicknames only (don't know their real name)..."Tangle eyes"..."Topwater"...
"Weasel"..."Hippy Dave"..."Chew-ta-bacca"............................. :D
Was (or is) 'Country' a black player -- I know a couple of different players have mentioned him and I know nothing about him. The name might be coming up in a OnePocket.org interview with Bugs & his crew (in a few weeks :) ). Can anyone enlighten me a little?
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Country was a high roller

Country was a high roller

Country was a black high roller from NY. He is still alive and he must be close to 80. He played good straight-rail billiards, top-notch dirty 8-ball and decent one-pocket. He just got out of jail a few years back. I know him 40 years and I can't remember his name. He hung out in Detroit when the big action was there. He and I played partners one pocket $1000 a man against Freddy Salem there. Freddy Salem was playing him 9 to 7 at that time. With Country as my partner, we played Freddy even. We were a good combo and we beat Freddy 8 in a row. Country wouldn't shoot at a bad shot with a machete at his throat.
the beard

NH Steve said:
Was (or is) 'Country' a black player -- I know a couple of different players have mentioned him and I know nothing about him. The name might be coming up in a OnePocket.org interview with Bugs & his crew (in a few weeks :) ). Can anyone enlighten me a little?
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,399
Troy said:
I don't think Billy Palmer has an AKA.
Troy
May I suggest "The Embalmer". Billy "Embalmer" Palmer. After all, that's what he does to most guys he plays. :(

Doc
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,549
Between what y'all have posted here and sent in email, you're doing great -- keep 'em coming!

There must be more current players that have names that have stuck a little already...

Ryan McCreash - 'Genie Man'

Tony 'Who, Me?' Ruberto -- just kidding :)

Is 'Silver' Ochoa's first name actually Silver or Sylver?
What is 'Pookie's' real name?
Is 'Will Pay's name really Will Pay?

I haven't updated the list on line, but have been in my own files, getting the updates ready for the next changes, so just because you haven't seen the new names or corrections added doesn't mean I am ignoring them!
 

Shorty

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
167
Nicknames

Nicknames

How bout?

Sonny "Tex" Springer, but we call him Big Money Sonny
Marshall "The Squirrel" Carpenter
Junior Carpenter, Marshall's brother, not sure his real name
Keith "Earthquake" or "The Ether" McCready

and my personal friend...

RH "Unk" or "Professor" Gilmer...who don't play too bad a game of one-hole himself.

Shorty
 

SactownTom

Moderator
Joined
May 31, 2004
Messages
813
How about Steve "OnePocket.org" Booth?

Or, Tom "SactownTom" Suarez?

The charter members of this forum are all great players and have their own monikers..

Pelican
OldHasBeen
$Bill aka hemicudas
GulfportDoc
my favorite... SUKI

Not all are legends of the One Pocket madness, but ardent gamesters.
 

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
Only One

Only One

I am only going to post one name on the list and let you guys take your turn.

Al Bonife---------New Your Blackie.

NEXT.
 

Splash

Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2005
Messages
21
fred bentivegna said:
Country ... played ... top-notch dirty 8-ball... Country wouldn't shoot at a bad shot with a machete at his throat.
the beard
Off topic, but curious what rules "dirty 8ball" suggests.

If only I wouldn't shoot at bad shots.... or learn the difference.

Thanks
 

Grady

Verified Member
Joined
May 23, 2004
Messages
491
"Country" was a black player who was probably the greatest pool hustler that ever lived. His only losers were when he wanted to donate some money on purpose. He played only the wealthy and because of that, his true speed was never known.
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
dirty eight ball

dirty eight ball

Splash said:
Off topic, but curious what rules "dirty 8ball" suggests.

If only I wouldn't shoot at bad shots.... or learn the difference.

Thanks
Dirty 8 ball is where you can shoot at any ball and the Q ball and object ball doesnt even have to hit a rail.
the beard
 

stevelomako

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
994
Grady said:
"Country" was a black player who was probably the greatest pool hustler that ever lived. His only losers were when he wanted to donate some money on purpose. He played only the wealthy and because of that, his true speed was never known.
Grady,

Someone wanted to know "Countrys'" real name. I was going to ask John McHenry but I just found out he had a triple bypass a week ago (he went to the pool room today though, he's doing good). I came in a little while ago and Darold was here with black Nate. Nate said his name was Charles but couldn't remember his last name.

Haven't seen anyone mention "Bucktooth" yet, or the "The Nub" (one armed player).

Never mind about "Tooth". I looked and saw his name on the list.
 
Last edited:
Top