Pool books

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
A friend was showing me his pool books, which I will list below. I asked him if he was interested in selling and he said he is:

Encyclopedia of Pool - excellent condition, some wear on the dust jacket
Blue Book of Cues - all 3 editions (?), one hard cover and 2 soft cover
Bet High, Kiss Low, by Grady Mathews - brand new, wouldn't let me touch it, never opened
Shots, Moves and Strategies, by Eddie Robin - pristine, still in the original wrapper, in a USPS Priority Mail mailer, with Robin's address sticker in Las Vegas on the box. Autographed? He can't remember, but bought directly from the author about 10-15 years ago. My own guess would be that Robin did sign it, but nobody will know until it is opened. Don't authors normally autograph a book they sell directly? Does Eddie Robin?

He is not a member here, doesn't lurk. I don't intend to conduct an auction, but any offers can be PMed to me and I will forward them to the seller. You can make an offer on the lot, or individually. Will he sell? I believe he will, but I don't intend to get involved beyond handling messages. However, if anything works out, I will guarantee his action. Hard offers only, please. After the weekend I will show him what I have rec'd on this site.

beatle

Verified Member
you got to put a price on things. or go to an auction site like ebay.

or how about this/ i offer 11 dollars for all of them please have him respond personally with his firm counter offer..

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Beatle, the guy doesn't care whether he sells the books or not, and isn't going to put a hard price on them, and I'm not going to tend an auction. I will take offers, if any, for four or five days and then pass them along, and he can decide what he wants to do. You might get the lot for your 11 dollars, if that's the best offer - but of course that won't happen. If they don't sell I will buy Mathews' book for myself and the rest can go back on his shelf. I would not expect him to make any counter offers.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If the Robin book is wrapped, it might not be autographed. But the ones I have seen bought directly from him in recent years have all been autographed. I would be happy to take it for 100 -- which is probably not half what it should be.

beatle

Verified Member
basically your tending an auction by not having him list his prices. most places require a price when you attempt to sell something.
what happens now if someone say 110 for the book. all it does is make conflicts within the group for no reason other than someone doesnt want to tell what he expects to get.
suppose he wants or would take 120. not likely he will come back and say that and maybe steve would have paid it. or someone else would but wont offer to not offend steve.
i hope steve gets it though. good luck.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
That's why I requested offers by PM. Since Steve made his offer in this thread, I imagine someone will offer just a few bucks more - but who knows? Except for yours, beatle, all offers so far have been for the Eddie Robin book.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Thursday evening - I just spoke to the seller, and got a price for the Eddie Robin Book. He will take $350 for it - first offer. He told me the book is in a plastic envelope, and he did not take it out. There is an autograph on the cover, but it might be a part of the cover illustration, he could not tell! He has found an autographed copy on Amazon or EBay, offered for $500. Protect yourself at all times - this is all I know about it.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
The current market on Shots, Moves & Strategies is $200-$250. Amazon has two copies at $250. Brookeland Billy put up his copy at $225 a month ago in Classifieds. I sold one there recently for $160 but it was damaged -- some kind of problem with a chainsaw😳.

Robin recently has been signing SM&S in silver pen on the cover.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Maybe this silly thing is about over. No one has made an offer on anything except the SM&S, and the price of it may have put it off the table - I will ask if the signature might be in silver ink - and if no one buys it by Tuesday I'll take it off. 'Nuff -

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
For those who may be interested in the books but are not collectors and will probably resell or give away the books, I think reasonable prices for each of the ones listed is $40 to $60, except for SM&S. Freddy's Encyclopedia is in print and being sold for $40 new. Grady's book is being offered at $200 online -- there are lots of crazy prices online. For SM&S if you just want to read it, $250 is reasonable and you can probably get most of your money back quickly if you resell it. If you are a collector and are interested in the packaging and such (an old Balabushka shipping box is worth serious money to some people), maybe $280.

A review of Grady's Bet High, Kiss Low is here: https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.billiard/c/uTsURm3Jei8/m/CPqa7IcFaaEJ

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I have some pool books , but at this point in my life , I would rather put them in the fireplace on a cold winter day , than deal with a bunch of internet idiots over them, no matter what they are worth.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I have some pool books , but at this point in my life , I would rather put them in the fireplace on a cold winter day , than deal with a bunch of internet idiots over them, no matter what they are worth.
Or if you ever get back to the pool hall, leave the books there for them to sell or give away.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Or if you ever get back to the pool hall, leave the books there for them to sell or give away.
I wonder what the true odds on that would be............ somewhere in the vicinity, of the amount of molecules of dust, in the universe.