Plenty of gold in California

thebaby

Verified Member
For all you onepocket.org railbirds. California is the place to be starting now. A lot of conversation about action is popping up everywhere. Shane, Darrin, Efren, Francisco, Bergman, Saez, Shuff, Ike. The list just keeps growing. There is 3 tournaments within the next 3 weeks. The Swanee, The 6th annual Chuck Markulis Memorial, The Bar Table Championships, with the U.S. Open one pocket Championship being played at the same venue. Well if you can't make it out here, PLAY THE GAME clothing has a couple of memorable shirts for these events. Check them out below. Available now at www.playthegameclothing.com (under the special event tab) There is a limited supply. Get yours!

Attachments

• PC61 Black 2014 US BAR Back-final.jpg
    PC61 Black 2014 US BAR Back-final.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0
  • K469_Black_4.jpg
    K469_Black_4.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • LST680_black_flat_front-2.jpg
    LST680_black_flat_front-2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PC61 Choc Brown 2014 6th Markus Memorial FINAL-FINAL.jpg
    PC61 Choc Brown 2014 6th Markus Memorial FINAL-FINAL.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Are we talking about the same California?

There may be some tournaments coming up, but the players don't have 2 pennies to rub between themselves. I think the best, most accurate quoye I have heard about the unnamed here famous pool hall in so cal is "you could turn the entire place upside down and shake it, about 40 dollars would fall out of the pockets collectively". :heh

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Are we talking about the same California?

There may be some tournaments coming up, but the players don't have 2 pennies to rub between themselves. I think the best, most accurate quoye I have heard about the unnamed here famous pool hall in so cal is "you could turn the entire place upside down and shake it, about 40 dollars would fall out of the pockets collectively". :heh

I have played pool in California for 60 years and bet fairly high for 50 of them, starting in Southern Cal and ending up in Northetn Cal, where I am now. I have never lived anywhere else.

I usually get to bet enough to pay attention. Part of this is because I am not a nut hunter and not a pain to play with, but the action certainly is not like it was years ago. Players of all levels now can get their competitive fix playing in tournaments. When I lived in Los Angeles there were very few tournaments and you had to match up and bet a little something to feed your competitive juices. Now every pool room that is still here has multiple tournaments. I know at Hard Times in Sacramento there are at least five a week for different level players. I am not knocking tournaments, the rooms need them to survive.

Hard Times in Bellflower, where I hung around for a few years in the late 80's/early 90's, is a tough nut to crack. Probably more pool scuffs still there than any other room down there, and they might have money, but are not looking to spread it around.

What we need Tyler, is more stake horses to put the players that are broke in action.:D

tylerdurden

Verified Member
been there, done that

select carefully :eek: :eek: :)

a trustworthy 'broke' pool player, too ez an invitation to dumpcity :sorry

never again ...

It is kind of sad. The only time a backer can really get "legitimately" involved is if he is sure of the player. How often does that happen? How often does a money man come into a pool hall, want some action (we get up to this point enough), and then know a guy well enough or long enough to not worry about anything funny happening.

I have often thought, and this is only half joking, that the entire pool playing community needs to go on the stall for about a year. Businessmen would be coming in on their lunch hour making an extra 50 here and there. Sure it would cost a lot that year, but then we'd have a whole herd of suckers hooked for life :heh

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I have played pool in California for 60 years and bet fairly high for 50 of them, starting in Southern Cal and ending up in Northetn Cal, where I am now. I have never lived anywhere else.

I usually get to bet enough to pay attention. Part of this is because I am not a nut hunter and not a pain to play with, but the action certainly is not like it was years ago. Players of all levels now can get their competitive fix playing in tournaments. When I lived in Los Angeles there were very few tournaments and you had to match up and bet a little something to feed your competitive juices. Now every pool room that is still here has multiple tournaments. I know at Hard Times in Sacramento there are at least five a week for different level players. I am not knocking tournaments, the rooms need them to survive.

Hard Times in Bellflower, where I hung around for a few years in the late 80's/early 90's, is a tough nut to crack. Probably more pool scuffs still there than any other room down there, and they might have money, but are not looking to spread it around.

What we need Tyler, is more stake horses to put the players that are broke in action.:D

Someone should open another original Costa Mesa Hard Times.............might borne another McCready :eek::eek:

SJDinPHX

Suspended

The only time a backer can really get "legitimately" involved is if he is sure of the player. How often does that happen? How often does a money man come into a pool hall, want some action (we get up to this point enough), and then know a guy well enough or long enough to not worry about anything funny happening.

I am far from naïve Tyler, but I do believe that when a sweater says, "its a dump"...he will very rarely have 'guessed' correctly !...Almost all railbug's just want to 'appear' smart..:cool:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Someone should open another original Costa Mesa Hard Times.............might borne another McCready :eek::eek:

What a place! Charlie The Ape, Keith and a host of others. Every action player within 100 miles would show up after hours on weekends.

I met Ernesto Dominguez there when they called him Juetto(SP). My FRIENDS at 4th & Main talked me into giving him the call 8. I did not like it.

I was playing a long 9 ball session one time and running out of gas, when my friend Tweedy (Jim Schermerhorn) said "Here, take this". I asked Jim (He was a trucker) what is was, and he said " It will get you home from New York in three days".

I played 8 or 10 more hours, went home and mowed the yard before I finally crashed.

There were more characters in that one pool room than you could find now in several states. Keith was young, but he was the man in Hard Times. Charlie would stake him and he gave everybody weight. They had a few bar tables in there and he gave all the champion Mexican players the cure. They ran racks, Keith (They called him El Diablo) ran sets.

One of the best action rooms out here for a short period of time.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
What a place! Charlie The Ape, Keith and a host of others. Every action player within 100 miles would show up after hours on weekends.

I met Ernesto Dominguez there when they called him Juetto(SP). My FRIENDS at 4th & Main talked me into giving him the call 8. I did not like it.

I was playing a long 9 ball session one time and running out of gas, when my friend Tweedy (Jim Schermerhorn) said "Here, take this". I asked Jim (He was a trucker) what is was, and he said " It will get you home from New York in three days".

I played 8 or 10 more hours, went home and mowed the yard before I finally crashed.

There were more characters in that one pool room than you could find now in several states. Keith was young, but he was the man in Hard Times. Charlie would stake him and he gave everybody weight. They had a few bar tables in there and he gave all the champion Mexican players the cure. They ran racks, Keith (They called him El Diablo) ran sets.

One of the best action rooms out here for a short period of time.

First pool room I'd ever been in with a leather couch and Fireplace. Roll out 9 ball back then.