Playing One Pocket Covid-19 style

johnnytronic

Verified Member
This is a great table (extra tight pockets) but needs a little tune up, some how both pockets roll into each other on both sides of the table. Short rail and long rail banks. The table sits on a wood floor and we know it will change w/ temperture. I'm thinking of getting some 1/4" metal plates for the owner so the table can sit on more than one wooden slat at a time. Has anyone have experience with this. Maybe I should post in another section?

As far as that trap I'm in--I do not recall how I got out. I do recall that I lost 3 games that session.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Johnnytronic said:
This is a great table (extra tight pockets) but needs a little tune up, some how both pockets roll into each other on both sides of the table. Short rail and long rail banks. The table sits on a wood floor and we know it will change w/ temperture. I'm thinking of getting some 1/4" metal plates for the owner so the table can sit on more than one wooden slat at a time. Has anyone have experience with this. Maybe I should post in another section? ...
With that amount of weight it seems like the table would settle into a permanent position irrespective of the weather. Years ago I used to play in a poolroom in downtown Pittsburgh called McGann's (which Cardone will remember), and another in Dormont, PA called Nick's; and they both had old wooden slatted floors. The tables remained level year around.

OTOH if the table is rolling in on itself it may just require internal levelling. As you know the Diamonds have many levelling screws underneath the slate. It might take a table tech to do it right, but I'm sure there's a couple of good techs in the Chicago area.

You might also visit the "table mechanic" forum over at AZbilliards. They've got some pretty knowledgeable guys over there. They might know about the wood floor situation.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
With that amount of weight it seems like the table would settle into a permanent position irrespective of the weather. Years ago I used to play in a poolroom in downtown Pittsburgh called McGann's (which Cardone will remember), and another in Dormont, PA called Nick's; and they both had old wooden slatted floors. The tables remained level year around.

OTOH if the table is rolling in on itself it may just require internal levelling. As you know the Diamonds have many levelling screws underneath the slate. It might take a table tech to do it right, but I'm sure there's a couple of good techs in the Chicago area.

You might also visit the "table mechanic" forum over at AZbilliards. They've got some pretty knowledgeable guys over there. They might know about the wood floor situation.
My table at least changes fairly dramatically because of moisture content raise and lower the ground. Water is an unstoppable force I tell you

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
This is a great table (extra tight pockets) but needs a little tune up, some how both pockets roll into each other on both sides of the table. Short rail and long rail banks. The table sits on a wood floor and we know it will change w/ temperture. I'm thinking of getting some 1/4" metal plates for the owner so the table can sit on more than one wooden slat at a time. Has anyone have experience with this. Maybe I should post in another section?
There's a lot to take in here, but you might find this helpful.
Leveling a diamond is tricky, but not too bad if you're handy and have access to a machinist's level. Make small adjustments and keep rechecking.
Here's what the wedges look like under the slate:

johnnytronic

Verified Member
I came back to this because this table still has issues after being worked on. We are now going to give it one more chance and I'm really hoping to be able to isolate what's actually going on. Maybe I will record the tune up process.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I came back to this because this table still has issues after being worked on. We are now going to give it one more chance and I'm really hoping to be able to isolate what's actually going on. Maybe I will record the tune up process.
John, remember that going up (or down) with Diamond's internal leveling system the pressure on the slate will keep going up (or down) slightly over a period of hours.

johnnytronic

Verified Member
Does ol' what's-his-face still come over to play? :unsure:
Are you referring to Ghosty? If so, he has not been here as I have had a lot time during the day to play--He only plays from like 2pm-730pm. Depending if he's winning or losing. :p

johnnytronic

Verified Member
John, remember that going up (or down) with Diamond's internal leveling system the pressure on the slate will keep going up (or down) slightly over a period of hours.
Yes, thank you. We are aware that when leveling a table--if you strike up the shims to make it perfect. The slate will keep moving up for awhile. This table has odd issues. Almost all pockets roll into one another--Even the sides pull in. It's almost like the top of the table is clamping down on the perimeter of the slate. We even went around the perimeter and actually added our own shims in an attempt to stop this effect--Made very little difference.