"PiggyBanks" vs. E. Strickland 2012 D.C.C.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Dennis,
You can always come to Tunica, and beat this dummy at banks...I'll play till the bank runs out of money...
the stun coupled with right english on John's shot and the deflection off the ball forces it to go that way... just saying...

B

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dennis,
You can always come to Tunica, and beat this dummy at banks...I'll play till the bank runs out of money...

B

That's the way to woof me, use a line that I've heard at least 100 times from guys who were soon to quit after losing 2 or 3 games.

Show some self-respect Bille and stop woofing at a guy who stopped playing 8 years ago because his eyes went bad. I wouldn't walk across the street to play anyone much less go to another state and you should know that by now.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Dear BounceBackBrumback,

First of all Catfish breath, let's get one thing straight before you get everybody around the world chiming in on your behalf: we are not and have never been discussing the best way to bank that ball cross-side. That was not the original discussion. Here's what I said in post #11

You responded by telling me to watch the DVD you so generously sent me.

I responded to that with this:

Do you see the problem CFB? I'm referring to you telling people to use inside to make pockets bigger and you respond by telling me to watch the DVD. We are not discussing the best way to make that cross-side bank.

Now let me be so bold as to directly quote you from your Bank Pool DVD, this is at 3:05 of the DVD:

And yet, in your post above you say:

I'm very confused John, which is it? That bank can't be made with draw at all or maybe sometimes it can but it's not the best way to hit it?

Jeez, if it can be made with a touch of draw then I guess I was right in that post I made months ago.

But if it can't be made with draw as you say in your DVD then I guess you have to fall back on the "bounce-back" theory. That's not very palatable is it? Trying to explain how a cueball comes back so far as it hits a ball almost equal to it in size & weight isn't your long suit is it?

Again, for your information, this is what I am discussing here as long as you don't veer off-course again:D

Idea & Theroy #1...Shooting a cross-side bank with inside english that doesn't NEED to be hit with inside english does not make the shot easier.

This is the topic John.

Dennis

Hello world.There is this fellow that I gave one of my how to bank dvds ( the guy doesn't miss a trick,let me tell ya) and the first thing he did was to find a huge mistake I made while filming said dvd.It was the cross side shot where you put the cball on the spot and the oball a ball's width away from the rail.Well in the dvd,I did say that you cannot make the shot using draw.I should not have said that.I stand corrected. You CAN make it with draw BUT it is by far the hardest way to make the shot.Most likely when you use draw you will double kiss the shot.However this same fellow is arguing with me,Freddie the Beard and Eddie Taylor.He thinks you should use draw to help hold a ball.He is very wrong about that.Draw makes the object ball go long.Something you do not want on said shot.:sorry world.

You really didn't watch the dvd,did you? You really think that I cannot make the pocket play bigger with inside english? Would you be willing to bet on this? You got me.. if you do.Put up a 1000$.You Sir, are fightin a losing argument here.Is that on topic enough......Beer Breath??

Anyone got anymore shot selections?? This ones getting old.I'd like to come up there and give you 9 to 6 palyin full rack and I aint never seen you hit a ball:) Who in the world would want to hit that shot with draw?:sorry:lol Your Friend John B.

if you can't gamble with friends who you going to gamble with? I'd like to bust you then go have some drinks.Bring it on big boy.You ever bit off more than you can chew? Good day sir, you lose this one:sorry:lol. Johnny bush beer Breath B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Hello world.There is this fellow that I gave one of my how to bank dvds ( the guy doesn't miss a trick,let me tell ya) and the first thing he did was to find a huge mistake I made while filming said dvd.It was the cross side shot where you put the cball on the spot and the oball a ball's width away from the rail.Well in the dvd,I did say that you cannot make the shot using draw.I should not have said that.I stand corrected. You CAN make it with draw BUT it is by far the hardest way to make the shot.Most likely when you use draw you will double kiss the shot.However this same fellow is arguing with me,Freddie the Beard and Eddie Taylor.He thinks you should use draw to help hold a ball.He is very wrong about that.Draw makes the object ball go long.Something you do not want on said shot.:sorry world.

You really didn't watch the dvd,did you? You really think that I cannot make the pocket play bigger with inside english? Would you be willing to bet on this? You got me.. if you do.Put up a 1000$.You Sir, are fightin a losing argument here.Is that on topic enough......Beer Breath??

Anyone got anymore shot selections?? This ones getting old.I'd like to come up there and give you 9 to 6 palyin full rack and I aint never seen you hit a ball:) Who in the world would want to hit that shot with draw?:sorry:lol Your Friend John B.

if you can't gamble with friends who you going to gamble with? I'd like to bust you then go have some drinks.Bring it on big boy.You ever bit off more than you can chew? Good day sir, you lose this one:sorry:lol. Johnny bush beer Breath B.

When are you going to learn to read? I said:

Idea & Theroy #1...Shooting a cross-side bank with inside english that doesn't NEED to be hit with inside english does not make the shot easier.

I did not say:I cannot make the pocket play bigger with inside english?

They are two different things.

I also never said: you should use draw to help hold a ball.

Yes, I watched the DVD.

P.S. There are many shot selection threads in the one-pocket forum and it seems you never comment on them?:confused:

If all you can do is write gibberish write it to Bille.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
When are you going to learn to read? I said:

I did not say:I cannot make the pocket play bigger with inside english?

They are two different things.

I also never said: you should use draw to help hold a ball.

Yes, I watched the DVD
P.S. There are many shot selection threads in the one-pocket forum and it seems you never comment on them?:confused:

If all you can do is write gibberish write it to Bille.

Dennis

Sorry ole buddy.Guess I can't read then. I thought for sure you were saying that I could not make the pocket play bigger with inside english.

PS: I don't comment in the onepocket forum because I'm not a champion onepocket player,Only banks;) Sorry again for all the gibberish.Might have had one to many this evenin and I just misunderstood you Sir :eek: Peace bro or whatever.John B.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
No...you didn't:).

Bille, I know about collisions between billiard balls and one thing you're neglecting to consider is that a ball in motion (cueball) possesses much energy and is only going to "bounce-back" a negligible, almost immeasureable amount for our discussion. You probably would never see it on a pooltable without a high-speed camera filming it.

JB hit the shot with draw and won't admit it, that's all. No need for all the other comments to be made concerning elastic collisions, rebounding, bounce-back or anything else.

Dennis

Dennis and JB,

The use of draw that has been the center of the conversation---> Are we talking at the point of contact between the cue ball and object ball or where the pool cue tip contacts the cue ball????

It is entirely possible that you are both correct just talking about different points in time during the shot.

In order to have a stun ball at the point of contact you would at a minimum have to hit slightly below center (draw) but you could have zero backspin (stun) on the ball when it contacts the object ball.

I say he shot the shot with drun (draw+stun) :D

Dudley

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
And because even if I did use draw YOU DON"T WANT TO OR NEED TO!!!!! The best way to make that shot is to stun the cball through the object ball!!
No draw,draw WILL make the object ball go long,you do not want that.Why don't you Just addmit that your still hot about that time I got on your butt for you for telling some poor soul to shoot that shot with draw.You were wrong then and you are wrong now! Good day Sir! :mad::p John B.

Dearest CatfishBreath,

I didn't really remember you "getting on my butt" for anything so I found the thread and my post. Here's what I wrote and here's the thread http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5768:

Tennessee Joe6 said:
I don't shoot banks but like One Pocket. Some of the players talk about inside Engflish and pinching the bank. I always thought a level cue and center cue ball was the most accurate banking method. How often do good bankers use inside English/Pinch? When is it used?

Cowboy Dennis said:
Joe,

Here is a very basic shot that illustrates the use of inside/pinch. Place the object ball one ball width off the rail at the diamond and put the cueball on the spot. You won't bank the ball cross-side without a touch of inside and maybe a little draw, all depending on your table.

Of course, now that we can't see the WEI table anymore we don't know what layout I drew but I do think I erroneously showed the shot with more draw than I should have.

Since you can read maybe you'll notice that I wrote "a touch of inside and MAYBE a little draw". I also wrote "depending on your table".

Since you and your fanclubbers are such sticklers for being proved wrong I thought I'd show you something and ask you about it, as long as you can keep your ego in check and keep it friendly.

Here are the two cross-side banks from your DVD. The 1st shot is the 3 ball and you use minimal draw and the 3 ball goes wide into the pocket.

On the 2 ball bank you use much more draw and the 2 ball pulls up much shorter and hits the left side of the pocket.

3 ball.jpg

cueball position after the 3 ball.jpg

2 ball.jpg

cueball position after the 2 ball.jpg

Wouldn't you expect the 2 ball to go wider since you used more draw on it? Shouldn't the 3 ball have pulled up shorter since you used less draw on it?

Maybe, just maybe, I actually knew what I was talking about. Maybe it depends on your table? You think? Maybe it depends on several factors. Maybe I know what they are without actually having wrote them all in my post, you think? I was just trying to show a simple shot to someone trying to learn how to "pinch" a bank. I wasn't making a DVD.

The point, CatfishBreath, is that I didn't write anything wrong in my post to Joe although I still think I showed the layout with more draw than I should have. Sorry for that error but I probably haven't set it up and shot it in 20 years. You on the other hand set it up for your DVD and shot it and pulled it up shorter with more draw than you did with less draw. Go figure.

P.S. CatfishBreath, I am off till saturday night and have a case of beer and 3 bottles of Jenna's finest (12 yr. old):D.

P.Ps. My original point to you in this thread, which you still have not addressed, was this: Idea & Theroy #1...Shooting a cross-side bank with inside english that doesn't NEED to be hit with inside english does not make the shot easier.

Feel free to comment if you'd like and remember this; "all publicity is good publicity".:)

RBL

John Brumback

Verified Member
Dearest CatfishBreath,

I didn't really remember you "getting on my butt" for anything so I found the thread and my post. Here's what I wrote and here's the thread http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5768:

Of course, now that we can't see the WEI table anymore we don't know what layout I drew but I do think I erroneously showed the shot with more draw than I should have.

Since you can read maybe you'll notice that I wrote "a touch of inside and MAYBE a little draw". I also wrote "depending on your table".

Since you and your fanclubbers are such sticklers for being proved wrong I thought I'd show you something and ask you about it, as long as you can keep your ego in check and keep it friendly.

Here are the two cross-side banks from your DVD. The 1st shot is the 3 ball and you use minimal draw and the 3 ball goes wide into the pocket.

On the 2 ball bank you use much more draw and the 2 ball pulls up much shorter and hits the left side of the pocket.

View attachment 6185

View attachment 6189

View attachment 6187

View attachment 6188

Wouldn't you expect the 2 ball to go wider since you used more draw on it? Shouldn't the 3 ball have pulled up shorter since you used less draw on it?

Maybe, just maybe, I actually knew what I was talking about. Maybe it depends on your table? You think? Maybe it depends on several factors. Maybe I know what they are without actually having wrote them all in my post, you think? I was just trying to show a simple shot to someone trying to learn how to "pinch" a bank. I wasn't making a DVD.

The point, CatfishBreath, is that I didn't write anything wrong in my post to Joe although I still think I showed the layout with more draw than I should have. Sorry for that error but I probably haven't set it up and shot it in 20 years. You on the other hand set it up for your DVD and shot it and pulled it up shorter with more draw than you did with less draw. Go figure.

P.S. CatfishBreath, I am off till saturday night and have a case of beer and 3 bottles of Jenna's finest (12 yr. old):D.

P.Ps. My original point to you in this thread, which you still have not addressed, was this: Idea & Theroy #1...Shooting a cross-side bank with inside english that doesn't NEED to be hit with inside english does not make the shot easier.

Feel free to comment if you'd like and remember this; "all publicity is good publicity".:)

RBL

Hey my good ole buddy.I sure have missed ya:) I'm sorry for being a jerk every now and then.Your right again,I let my ego get to me sometimes;) Ok so that cross side can be made with a little draw even though I don't think that's the best way to hit though. I was just kidding when I made the comment about the balls bouncing off one another.I really don't know if they do or not:sorry.I tried to take a look at the vid Doc put up about the bouncy balls but I couldn't get the dern vid to come up.Maybe they do maybe they don't.I'm quite sure your right though with that fancy smart book you got.I got to go take a boat motor off right now (and have a couple cold ones) so I'm going to duck that question once again:p.Talk to ya later bud.When I get back you will get my answer.John B.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
...I was just kidding when I made the comment about the balls bouncing off one another.I really don't know if they do or not:sorry.I tried to take a look at the vid Doc put up about the bouncy balls but I couldn't get the dern vid to come up.Maybe they do maybe they don't...
John-- Here's another copy of the video. Perhaps it will open for you now. Although the video was made to show whether there is any spin creation with center CB at slow, medium, and fast speeds, it actually shows what happens to the CB at contact as well. There is no "bounce-back" at either of the 3 speeds.

http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_speed_videos/new/HSVA-82.htm

If it won't open for you, just go to the billiards.colostate.edu site.

~Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I got to go take a boat motor off right now (and have a couple cold ones) so I'm going to duck that question once again:p.Talk to ya later bud.When I get back you will get my answer.John B.

I've also got to replace a boat motor John, one of mine threw a rod. Do you have any Rolls Royce dealers near you? Maybe I can get a deal:p:D

CBD's Yacht.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
Dearest CatfishBreath,

View attachment 6185

View attachment 6189

View attachment 6187

View attachment 6188

RBL

12 year old? Well then how old is mine:eek::p

Yes Sir,I will try to keep my ego in check and keep it friendly from now on.It's gonna be hard though:p

Ok,Is that red line a statement or a question or a theroy or what in the hell does that mean.If it's a question,(oh thanks for seeing that I can read:D) IMO! yes I think that it helps to put a tad of inside on most any head on banks.IMO it does make the shot eaiser.But,I can hold the shot with stun too.That's one way I make my pocket open up( for a lack of better words).I remember now...you hurt my damn feelers when you said you couldn't get passed the first shot in my dvd.That's when I imploded:lol

PS: I really don't like arguing about shots that are on my dvd.I stand behind every shot that's on it,and will,till I go to the grave.Ya'll can go right a head though.:p
My brother has a Silver Shadow that's sitting in his driveway and has sunk halfway up on the wheels,it's been sitting there for so long.I was the last guy that drove it and parked it there too.Silver Shadow= Rolls Royce.Since you don't get out much,thought I would explain to you what that meant.haha
John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
12 year old? Well then how old is mine:eek::p

Yes Sir,I will try to keep my ego in check and keep it friendly from now on.It's gonna be hard though:p

Ok,Is that red line a statement or a question or a theroy or what in the hell does that mean.If it's a question,(oh thanks for seeing that I can read:D) IMO! yes I think that it helps to put a tad of inside on most any head on banks.IMO it does make the shot eaiser.But,I can hold the shot with stun too.That's one way I make my pocket open up( for a lack of better words).I remember now...you hurt my damn feelers when you said you couldn't get passed the first shot in my dvd.That's when I imploded:lol

PS: I really don't like arguing about shots that are on my dvd.I stand behind every shot that's on it,and will,till I go to the grave.Ya'll can go right a head though.:p
My brother has a Silver Shadow that's sitting in his driveway and has sunk halfway up on the wheels,it's been sitting there for so long.I was the last guy that drove it and parked it there too.Does he also have a crankshaft from an old straight-8 out by the curb with his mailbox bolted to it?Silver Shadow= Rolls Royce.Since you don't get out much,thought I would explain to you what that meant.haha
John B.

CatfishBreath,

Thanks for the heads-up about the Rolls but I've known that since I was 8.

Class, this will be the topic of discussion for today;

My statement: Idea & Theroy #1...Shooting a cross-side bank with inside english that doesn't NEED to be hit with inside english does not make the shot easier.

Your statement: IMO! yes I think that it helps to put a tad of inside on most any head on banks.IMO it does make the shot eaiser.

You can see the obvious contradiction in our views.

Let's take this one step at a time so I don't get confused. Are you saying to me that you think it's o.k. to use unneeded english on a bankshot? If so, why?

I'll be gone for the day and won't get back till late this evening or maybe afternoon. Think long and hard about your reply.

P.S. Yes, 12 yr old Jameson (that's whiskey JimmyB., not a girl), that crap I sent you was from 3 p.m. on the day it was sent.

The 12 yr. old has a metal container it's shipped in and it actually has a cork stopper! I'm sure you've heard the ole saying "he likes to pull a cork". I'm down to 2 bottles left now. At $45 per bottle I take it slow.
Jameson12.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
CatfishBreath,

Thanks for the heads-up about the Rolls but I've known that since I was 8.

Class, this will be the topic of discussion for today;

My statement: Idea & Theroy #1...Shooting a cross-side bank with inside english that doesn't NEED to be hit with inside english does not make the shot easier.

Your statement: IMO! yes I think that it helps to put a tad of inside on most any head on banks.IMO it does make the shot eaiser.

You can see the obvious contradiction in our views.

Let's take this one step at a time so I don't get confused. Are you saying to me that you think it's o.k. to use unneeded english on a bankshot? If so, why?

I'll be gone for the day and won't get back till late this evening or maybe afternoon. Think long and hard about your reply.

P.S. Yes, 12 yr old Jameson (that's whiskey JimmyB., not a girl), that crap I sent you was from 3 p.m. on the day it was sent.

The 12 yr. old has a metal container it's shipped in and it actually has a cork stopper! I'm sure you've heard the ole saying "he likes to pull a cork". I'm down to 2 bottles left now. At $45 per bottle I take it slow.
View attachment 6214

Eglish is a relative term,sir.I like to use just a tad.ie:meaning that it only takes maybe a 1/4 of a tip's worth from center to help hold a bank.I do like to hold every bank I shoot if I can.That helps me create the biggest pocket that I keep talking about. IMO it is needed to help hold a bank to make the pocket open up.So that means...is it needed or unneeded? So in closing, I will say that,yes I think It's perfectly ok to use a little english on a straight in bank.Hope you have or had a great day:) John B.

PS: well then, if mine's crap I'm going to knock it off this 4th of July weekend.I've been trying to save it.:lol

PPS: I'll bet your the one guy that "could" get blood out of a turnip.jk jk jk:p
Can I ask you this question...? Are you trying to improve your bank pool game? I'm just curious.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Eglish is a relative term,sir.I like to use just a tad.ie:meaning that it only takes maybe a 1/4 of a tip's worth from center to help hold a bank.I do like to hold every bank I shoot if I can.That helps me create the biggest pocket that I keep talking about. IMO it is needed to help hold a bank to make the pocket open up.So that means...is it needed or unneeded? So in closing, I will say that,yes I think It's perfectly ok to use a little english on a straight in bank.Hope you have or had a great day:) John B.

PS: well then, if mine's crap I'm going to knock it off this 4th of July weekend.I've been trying to save it.:lol

PPS: I'll bet your the one guy that "could" get blood out of a turnip.jk jk jk:p
Can I ask you this question...? Are you trying to improve your bank pool game? I'm just curious.

Dear CatfishBreath,

I'm done with my work for today, I think I sweated about 5 lbs. off working in this heat. Heavy T-storms rolled through a little while ago and cooled everything off nicely though. I drank two Heinekens before I came home and they were very good. Haven't had one in a year.

Well then, that brings me to me next question then John. I'll put it in red so you don't overlook it:p.

Are we in agreement that the use of inside english (even 1/4 tip) makes the first-rail target smaller for the object ball?

P.S. My bank game doesn't need improving, I haven't played a serious game of Banks since the mid-80's when McCue went into semi-retirement. But I still know how to play and hit 'em o.k. when I practice. It's just the eyes that make me miss, the stroke & knowledge is still there. I actually ran a 7 last year but I was just practicing. I have no idea how a guy who misses shots because he hits the cueball in the wrong place could accidently run 7 banks but I did. I wouldn't want to bet on it happening again anytime soon though:).

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Dear CatfishBreath,

I'm done with my work for today, I think I sweated about 5 lbs. off working in this heat. Heavy T-storms rolled through a little while ago and cooled everything off nicely though. I drank two Heinekens before I came home and they were very good. Haven't had one in a year.

Well then, that brings me to me next question then John. I'll put it in red so you don't overlook it:p.

Are we in agreement that the use of inside english (even 1/4 tip) makes the first-rail target smaller for the object ball?

P.S. My bank game doesn't need improving, I haven't played a serious game of Banks since the mid-80's when McCue went into semi-retirement. But I still know how to play and hit 'em o.k. when I practice. It's just the eyes that make me miss, the stroke & knowledge is still there. I actually ran a 7 last year but I was just practicing. I have no idea how a guy who misses shots because he hits the cueball in the wrong place could accidently run 7 banks but I did. I wouldn't want to bet on it happening again anytime soon though:).

Dennis

I like them Hineys every once in a while too! Bet you had a little buzz goin.They's alot stronger than them ole miller lites aint they?:p I've been drinkin ML's too lately.

Ok,I read your question 4 times at least and still can't figure it out.Why do you make your questions so hard?:frus:lol What do mean..It makes the target area smaller? Me no understand. JB

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Ok,I read your question 4 times at least and still can't figure it out.Why do you make your questions so hard?:frus:lol What do mean..It makes the target area smaller? Me no understand. JB

Dear CatfishBreath,

Schools out down there right? Find a 3rd grader hauling buckets of water from the creek, up the mountain to the shack and ask that kid what it means:):p.

Seriously though, here's what it means John: Whenever you bank a ball you have a certain area on the rail that the object ball can hit and be pocketed. I'm asking you if we agree that that area is made smaller by the use of inside english(even 1/4 tip).

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Dear CatfishBreath,

Schools out down there right? Find a 3rd grader hauling buckets of water from the creek, up the mountain to the shack and ask that kid what it means:):p.

Seriously though, here's what it means John: Whenever you bank a ball you have a certain area on the rail that the object ball can hit and be pocketed. I'm asking you if we agree that that area is made smaller by the use of inside english(even 1/4 tip).

Dennis

Ohh,Okkk.Well then,no..I do not agree with you.It makes it bigger. With my method and of a touch of english (1/4 tip) I think my target area becomes bigger.I can hit the object ball in a pretty big area and make the bank.That's one reason my method of banking is so strong.You don't have to or need to be so precise(or see as good;)). You got anymore questions?:lol I'll be back,got to go put a few coats of tung oil on my ole deer rifle stock.I'm refinishing it.30 06 ruger m77 had her for 30 years and she was old when I got her.Redfeild scope.I do love her too.:) Oh and it's raining here.Got a tenth so far. John B.