Pickle

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Had this tonight. There are two more balls on the table along my opponents rail. The cue ball is not frozen to the seven but real close. It sure looks like a dead scratch in one side or the other. I need one ball, my opponent needs 3. My pocket is lower right as you view from the head string where I took the pic

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371775794.592383.jpg

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Had this tonight. There are two more balls on the table along my opponents rail. The cue ball is not frozen to the seven but real close. It sure looks like a dead scratch in one side or the other. I need one ball, my opponent needs 3. My pocket is lower right as you view from the head string where I took the pic

View attachment 8471

Steve...If I can reach it, I'd probably jack up vertically and draw my ball - shoot the red ball into the 14ball, while drawing the cueball back towards the middle of the foot rail - and maybe get the red and 14balls re-positioned to my side of the table with the shot also...

What did you do?

- Ghost

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I would be two rail kicking at this one ball. I'd probably choose a medium speed. It does look like you can hit that third rail, then ball and scratch, which does not bode well for my shot. It is hard to tell though.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I posted this from my phone, so could not label pockets or anything. Tyler, my pocket is the other end of the table :)

Larry, I don't think I could have shot forward at all without a scratch or getting called for a double hit/push -- at least with a normal stroke -- because the cue ball and 7 were very nearly frozen but not quite.

labeled view:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-06-21_07-58-36.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-06-21_07-58-36.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 0

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I posted this from my phone, so could not label pockets or anything. Tyler, my pocket is the other end of the table :)

Larry, I don't think I could have shot forward at all without a scratch or getting called for a double hit/push -- at least with a normal stroke -- because the cue ball and 7 were very nearly frozen but not quite.

labeled view:

Oh, I see. Excuse me. I would just jack up here and get a legal hit and make the cb arc back toward your side rail there. I just wouldn't think or try to do to much here, it is an awkward little spot but not a game winner or loser. Just pass with some sort of jack up.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

labeled view:

Frozen or not you should be able to shoot off the 7 and go to the other side of the table. Doesn't matter if it's lined up to the pocket, you have enough table to work with that you can alter the path of the CB just enough to miss the scratch. Try it, you'll like it.

Lou Figueroa

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
You are going to have to deal with the ball in the pocket sooner or later. I am shooting two rails to either make or take out.

My only other option is to take a scratch, hiding the ball in the hole and hoping I get some kind of shot the next inning to make or move the ball in the hole.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Steve...If I can reach it, I'd probably jack up vertically and draw my ball - shoot the red ball into the 14ball, while drawing the cueball back towards the middle of the foot rail - and maybe get the red and 14balls re-positioned to my side of the table with the shot also...

What did you do?

That's the shot I'd shoot, but the balls lie too far up table to angle the cue at 45+ degrees, unless Steve can shoot left handed. So I think he's stuck with thinning off the left side of the OB and rolling the CB to the side rail. No need to try a trick shot here. He needs a ball, the opponent needs 'em all...

BTW if the shooter aims down at the CB at a 45 degree angle, he is deemed to NOT have made a double hit, even though he may have (unless of course it's obvious).

Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'm going to take a foul and shoot the cue ball directly at the head rail in line with all three of his balls. I get a minus one and he is trippled up on a combo for his pocket.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Steve, if you line up as though you wanted to drive the cue ball approximately toward the first diamond past the opposite side pocket, use an elevated cue about 30 to 45 degrees, and shoot a half masse ( left hand English ) with only a medium stroke. You will get a quick reaction on the cue ball and it will curve below the side pocket and die. The object ball does not have to travel very far for this shot to work well. Remember to have plenty of chalk on the tip of your cue and be sure to shoot through the cue ball. If you want the cue ball to get to the end rail just hit it a touch harder. With just a little practice the shot actually becomes a very easy shot to perform and you will develop a good feel for judging the path you want the cue ball to take. You will find this shot comes up in a variety of situations.

Tom

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Just remember the opponent has the UPPER Left hand pocket. Just get your jump cue and shoot from the left side of the table. Do the shot that the Ghost describes shooting down with holding the cue like you are throwing a dart method. Easy as pie..

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Steve, if you line up as though you wanted to drive the cue ball approximately toward the first diamond past the opposite side pocket, use an elevated cue about 30 to 45 degrees, and shoot a half masse ( left hand English ) with only a medium stroke. You will get a quick reaction on the cue ball and it will curve below the side pocket and die. The object ball does not have to travel very far for this shot to work well. Remember to have plenty of chalk on the tip of your cue and be sure to shoot through the cue ball. If you want the cue ball to get to the end rail just hit it a touch harder. With just a little practice the shot actually becomes a very easy shot to perform and you will develop a good feel for judging the path you want the cue ball to take. You will find this shot comes up in a variety of situations.

Tom

Also use a very close bridge, it'll remove the deflection and allow the spin to react quicker. :)
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I'm going to take a foul and shoot the cue ball directly at the head rail in line with all three of his balls. I get a minus one and he is trippled up on a combo for his pocket.

Duh. I didn't see the pocket designation. I thought the oppo had the one in his pocket. Totally different situation.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Tom

is this what you mean??
i dont know how to draw curved lines
tt1.jpg

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Yes Larry,
That is about it. Smooth stroke. 30 degree elevation with left hand English. Line up toward the first diamond past the side pocket and stroke through the cue ball moderate speed. Pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it. Let me know how you do.

Tom