Philadelphia style One Pocket

crazysnake

Verified Member
Would someone please explain what are the characteristics of Philadelphia style One pocket. Please.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
That would...

That would...

......be a myth and too blurry to explain technically as are all philisophical questions.Just keep posting but above all keep practicing the Chicago style of 1P.......

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i could be wrong but to me philadelphia style is similar to chicago style
BOA CONSTRICTOR.....:heh
squeeze your opponent to death...:D
accu stats has the 1991 legends of one pocket PHILADELPHIA STYLE
where you can buy many matches
http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...14508343&BACK=A0008A1B0000005B1C01206383411C1
the jimmy fusco vs jim rempe match
with freddy (R.I.P) as main commentator
is a claasic often recoomended as a match to watch for an aspirring 1p player
hope this helps

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well I don't know much about the Philly style myself, but I do know that Philly has had a nice history of One Pocket being a popular game, like Washington DC does also. Philly also has a strong tradition of Straight Pool of course, and of all the major games, I think Straight Pool skills probably make the easiest transition to One Pocket skills.

stedyfred

Verified Member
I can't comment on Phila. one pocket in 2014 but in the late 70's and 80's the top players in Phila. were good managers at any pool game including one pocket. They knew the importance of always playing the score, understood risk-reward, utilized the stack constantly, and played excellent in endgame situations. You may see a moving fiesta UNTIL it came time to shoot ( these guys were very good straight pool players and could run balls rather easily). The SQUEZZERS could shoot straight.

stedyfred

Verified Member
I can't comment on Phila. one pocket in 2014 but in the late 70's and 80's the top players in Phila. were good managers at any pool game including one pocket. They knew the importance of always playing the score, understood risk-reward, utilized the stack constantly, and played excellent in endgame situations. You may see a moving fiesta UNTIL it came time to shoot ( these guys were very good straight pool players and could run balls rather easily). The SQUEZZERS could shoot straight.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
The singular time I have heard of Philadelphia having a "style" of one pocket is the tournament that bore the same name. The city may well have a style, but I have never heard about it. Others have chimed in and I agree - there are several matches recorded by Accu-Stats that are great, as much (or more) for their commentary as the actual moving.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

And Fred...all of what you said defines playing One Pocket correctly, and playing it well.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Mike

Verified Member
In a nut shell, let the other guy make the mistake.

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
The only game I know of that seemed to be unique to Philly was one ball in the side. A variation of straight pool.

Bill S.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Philadelphia style One Pocket

The first time I spoke with The Beard, when I told him that I am from Philly, he let me know that back pocket nine ball originated here. I think I have heard that phila 1p is similar to Chicago and squeezing style but I'm not sure tbh. I may see Jimmy Fusco later today so if I do I will be sure to ask him.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I didn't know the Fusco's. Jersey Red said they were great players.
About the ones I did know.
Their style was bite up enough for the first game and if they lost, go out on the street and lug some passerby back to stake the next one. :D:p:)
Rod.
P.S. I played Peter Rabbit many times.

stedyfred

Verified Member
Back pocket nine ball was very popular in Phila. and if 2 players were of a different skill level you may see a front to a back,2fronts to a back, a side of the table to a back, 5 to a back or 6 to a back. You could also see 5 or 6 to a side pocket.

crazysnake

Verified Member
Thanks to all who have contributed commentary on this thread. I have watched (awhile back) an accustats video of Varner playing Fusco. This was before I started to gain a better understanding of the game. I think Mike's comment sums it up best "... let the other guy make the mistake...." I'm beginning to believe that there isn't an actual "Philadelphia Style", just something someone made up when they put on a tourney with mostly Philly players. I recall that in the Varner Fusco match, I think it was legends Roanoke 91, Fusco did a lot of "squeezing" and very carefully maneuvered the cue ball. Does anybody recall this match?

crazysnake

Verified Member
Re: Philadelphia style One Pocket

Thanks to all who have contributed commentary on this thread. I have watched (awhile back) an accustats video of Varner playing Fusco. This was before I started to gain a better understanding of the game. I think Mike's comment sums it up best "... let the other guy make the mistake...." I'm beginning to believe that there isn't an actual "Philadelphia Style", just something someone made up when they put on a tourney with mostly Philly players. I recall that in the Varner Fusco match, I think it was legends Roanoke 91, Fusco did a lot of "squeezing" and very carefully maneuvered the cue ball. Does anybody recall this match?
Oops, it's Roanoke 94.

stedyfred

Verified Member
Checkout Roanoke 95 Steve Dobrowolski vs B. Hall and you will see a sample of what I was referring to ref offensive firepower.