Pete Fusco vs. Nick Varner 1994 Roanoke #2

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I would have played the 9 to get position on the 12 but certainly not taking a chance to make or move the 15. The position on the 12 gives a chance to make another ball and break out the stack. With a good breakout a chance for a run out. Without a good breakout, then removing the 15 is much more controlled.
Playing position from the 9 ball to the 12 ball isn't easy. You still must play the shot hitting the rail first to play position on the 12 ball, and your window for opportunity is a small one. Yes it's possible, but difficult. Playing the shot in the fashion that Varner chose offered more chances to get things done, i'll explain why I believe that.

With the way he shot the shot he could have been thinking possibly two different ways. One way would be to pocket the 15 ball and take his chances on coming up with another shot, possibly on the 12 ball or the 10 ball. The other way he could of been playing the shot was to swing the cue ball deeply out of the corner, and then go toward the stack with a little speed to play position on the 12 ball by striking the stack before the 12 ball and play position on the 12 ball, and at the same time loosen up a few ball while doing so.

I really can't say for sure if that was what he was thinking, but I can say that after looking at the shot the way he played it those two options were possible, and available.

If the 15 ball wasn't in the picture, I would play the second option, by swinging the cue ball deeply out of the corner and then going into the stack with a good chance of coming way with a shot on the 12 ball. Using this method will also create a better chance of running out by opening more balls up.

Dr. Bill

tylerdurden

Verified Member
You're right about changing angles by adjusting the speed and hit with shots, but in this instance I don't believe that striking the 14 ball was possible, if so Varner would have chosen that route. That's the way i'm thinking, but maybe he believed the shot he chose was a better shot than glancing off the 14 ball, even if it was available. We'll never know that, but what we do know is the shot he chose was a very good shot for the situation. And yes I strongly agree with not doing anything haphazard that would jeopardize your opportunity to get what you needed to get done with your shot. This is based off the score, and the ball position that favored Fusco. It was imperative for Varner to not only score a few balls, but equally as important to eliminate the position of the 15 ball. And if you notice his shot choice gave him the potential to do everything.

Dr. Bill

It could very well be he thought a scratch was possible if he skimmed the 14 (or especially of he just missed it). That is why I was talking about hitting the 7 thin.... but sometimes shooting at an "imaginary" pocket isn't fun -- how thin is too thin :)

I love his shot -- this was a good situation to examine. Some of the most perplexing situations in one hole are when you DO finally get a shot.