Owen vs. Bustamante

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I have to disagree with you again here, Jeff. The shot can be hit almost full with a tip of right hand english. That will twist the fourteen into the proper line for the bank and allow me to control the cue ball far better than you suggest.
It's just me, but I like it better than any other shot I see.

Tom

Ok Tom that's cool, we will just have to disagree on this one because from the look of it, the 14 must be cut where it would hit the left side of the 6 ball if the 11 wasn't there. I know you can fudge it a little with rhe but nowhere near enough IMO to get the 11 through the gap and control the CB.

This shot has peril written all over it for me, lots of unfavorable things can happen trying combinations in between several balls and even if you do thread the needle there is no guarantee you will even get the 11 to drop or stay near your pocket.

If you don't get the 11 near your pocket and you somehow manage to leave the CB where you want it, he's gonna have many options to move balls in his favor and trap you.

That's just how I see it Tom no offense intended.:) :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I gotta leave it up to Gabe to decide here, because I'm sittin' here thinkin' all my betters are nutz. :D

No way I'm shootin' any of those balls for a make. My second choice would be to hit about 1/3 of the 2, carom to 1/2 the stripe, and to the long rail.

I'll defer to the guy at the table who can see all the angles better than we can here.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Ok Tom that's cool, we will just have to disagree on this one because from the look of it, the 14 must be cut where it would hit the left side of the 6 ball if the 11 wasn't there. I know you can fudge it a little with rhe but nowhere near enough IMO to get the 11 through the gap and control the CB.

This shot has peril written all over it for me, lots of unfavorable things can happen trying combinations in between several balls and even if you do thread the needle there is no guarantee you will even get the 11 to drop or stay near your pocket.

If you don't get the 11 near your pocket and you somehow manage to leave the CB where you want it, he's gonna have many options to move balls in his favor and trap you.

That's just how I see it Tom no offense intended.:) :)

None taken, Jeff. These photo images can be very deceptive, so you may be right. Many times I take shots that I think can pay off big if hit well. I don't always hit them as well as I would like. Still, If at the table, I see this shot as one that I can pull off, I'm going for it. One thing is certain, I will not be selling out the cue ball here and that is a big plus for me.

Tom

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
None taken, Jeff. These photo images can be very deceptive, so you may be right. Many times I take shots that I think can pay off big if hit well. I don't always hit them as well as I would like. Still, If at the table, I see this shot as one that I can pull off, I'm going for it. One thing is certain, I will not be selling out the cue ball here and that is a big plus for me.

Tom

You're a gracious man Tom, and your way with words is one of your strong suits. You see the game as well as anyone and better than most, and you know your abilities at the table, so if you say you think the shot is on, I believe you would definitely pull the trigger on it, and not lose the CB.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I like banking the "8" ball as Dennis suggested :), but here is my entry for what Gabe may have done...it seems doable. The red lines are the cueball and the green lines are the path of the object balls. With right english, bank the 3; carom into the 15; and spin the rock down table.

Dave

Attachments

• 1pocket diagram 1.png
    1pocket diagram 1.png
    486.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
CK,

This shot is good, I did not see it. If you make the ball what do you shoot next? If I was to shoot it I might shoot it with top-right and leave the cueball down by the 10.

Hey, I was about to diagram that one, but I like several of the other shots too, if the eight don't fit. Good one and WTG DOC...Nice wwyd..

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I like banking the 4 ball as Dennis suggested, but here is my entry for what Gabe may have done...it seems doable. The red lines are the cueball and the green lines are the path of the object balls. With right english, bank the 3; carom into the 15; and spin the rock down table.

Dave

Dennis suggested banking the 8 ball straight-back.

attachment.jpg

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
One quick question Kid,

Would you shoot this shot in Yuma, Arizona at 3:00PM in August with all you had bet on the outcome and no ride outta town? You gotta walk if you mess it up!

no

One quick question Kid,

Great imagination Kid but if it comes up when we play, I'm hoping you take a swing at it. :):):)

Is this VP4 shot?

touche! hehe

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I like banking the 4 ball as Dennis suggested, but here is my entry for what Gabe may have done...it seems doable. The red lines are the cueball and the green lines are the path of the object balls. With right english, bank the 3; carom into the 15; and spin the rock down table.

Dave

Good eye Dave,
I never saw this shot, goes to show that looking over the table a little more yields better results sometimes. I just settled for the 3 rail on the 15 and was busy looking at Tom's shot and never really searched the table again. I like your shot here if the 3 and the 15 are close enough together to get the desired CB action. I'd like the CB over more towards his long rail, but even where you show it settling is gonna leave him in some trouble.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Cincy, Your shot reeks of desperation. Why, when nearly the entire table favors you, will you play a shot which requires sending the cue ball on a wild ride around the table? You are not in any danger here, there is no need to do anything that can cause a loss of cue ball control.

Be aggressive but control your urge to take big risks.

Tom

Was that book plug? :)

Just kidding, but seriously, no I would not shoot this shot for the money. It seemed like all of the other good shots were diagrammed so I just threw this one out there to think about.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
CK,

This shot is good, I did not see it. If you make the ball what do you shoot next? If I was to shoot it I might shoot it with top-right and leave the cueball down by the 10.

Thanks Dennis, just throwing another option out there although I don't think its very practical -- too much risk for not much reward

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Dave

That's a heck of a shot Dave!! My concern with it is that it seems to me the speed control on the cue ball is pretty important, but with two caroms for me, I am not sure I could judge the cue ball speed -- especially relative to the speed on the two object balls. If you can, that shot is a beauty though. If the balls don't land right, however, it looks like you could leave your opponent a nice cut on the 2-ball with an angle to go behind the balls -- unless the balls are rearranged so that isn't even available lol.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Dave

i dont see how you can make the cue ball go backward then go forward....:confused:
if it goes along the tangent line and hits the top of the stripe i could see the follow english getting the cue ball go as diagrammed
but the stripe would have to go to the side rail
great imaginative shot tho....:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
No need to drag this one out, since most of the possibilities have been discussed. Gabe did bank the 8 straight back-- it went in like an arrow. I didn't spot the selection when I was watching it. But there were some great suggestions from y'all that I hadn't seen, if the 8 had been unavailable. Granted, one has to stare at it awhile to see that it's there. I particularly liked Jeff/Frank's and Tom's opinions.

Gabe ended up in nice shape, but he did not run out. However Busty couldn't close the deal either, and Gabe won the game. ~Doc

Owen 1B.jpg

Owen 1C.jpg

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Good eye Dave,
I never saw this shot, goes to show that looking over the table a little more yields better results sometimes. I just settled for the 3 rail on the 15 and was busy looking at Tom's shot and never really searched the table again. I like your shot here if the 3 and the 15 are close enough together to get the desired CB action. I'd like the CB over more towards his long rail, but even where you show it settling is gonna leave him in some trouble.

Just trying to add to everyone's creativity, but after looking at it, that shot sure looks fun. :)
Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
That's a heck of a shot Dave!! My concern with it is that it seems to me the speed control on the cue ball is pretty important, but with two caroms for me, I am not sure I could judge the cue ball speed -- especially relative to the speed on the two object balls. If you can, that shot is a beauty though. If the balls don't land right, however, it looks like you could leave your opponent a nice cut on the 2-ball with an angle to go behind the balls -- unless the balls are rearranged so that isn't even available lol.

Set it up and try it with a lot of right, it may be easier than you think since you do not lose a lot of speed off the 1st and 2nd ball because they are so close to each other. I was just trying to add something to a thread that discussed all the "good" shots. :)

Did you have fun at the US Open 1-pocket event?

Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
i dont see how you can make the cue ball go backward then go forward....:confused:
if it goes along the tangent line and hits the top of the stripe i could see the follow english getting the cue ball go as diagrammed
but the stripe would have to go to the side rail
great imaginative shot tho....:)

In my mind, the cue ball is only following the tangent line each time, not really going backwards. Once the first ball to bank is hit, there is no time for the cue ball to do anything but follow the tangent line and once it hits the second ball it follows the tangent line again. Nothing is really going backwards.

Again, I was just playing around to add to the thread that caught my attention, there were so many good options mentioned. To tell you the truth, there was a leap of faith that the cue ball could fit between those two balls enough to back the first one, but the carom would be on regardless (or close) and I believe the cue ball could easily spin up table.

Dave

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I've got some grapes for sale and they're kinda sour.

OK,OK the 8 bank is a good shot, but I can't shoot it with such a small target zone for a safe cue ball. Gabe missed it enough that Busty would comfortably slice in the 7 if the 8 didn't go.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Was a good shot but I agree with Steve or whoever said earlier that it didn't look like you could hit enough of the 8 and that it would bank long without holding it quite a bit....

I am sure if we were at the table it would be easier to judge.