owen /nevel 2008 #1

bernie p

Verified Member
Interestingly enough, this exact shot came up for me a few months ago.

It might not seem like it, but if you cut bank the 11 to your hole with inside english (9 oclock) and pocket speed, the 8 ball and 5 carom and bank off your opponents long rail, back over to your side and whitey goes uptable and back off the short endrail to leave a shot on the 8 or the 5.

It takes a little practice to convince yourself that the shot works, but it can be quite predictable.

I would not shoot this if I need just one ball, but I would if I needed 2 or 3.

Our own Lenny Marshall showed me this shot, so I have to give the credit to him ;)

Thanks.

Bernie.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

It might not seem like it, but if you cut bank the 11 to your hole with inside english (9 oclock) and pocket speed, the 8 ball and 5 carom and bank off your opponents long rail, back over to your side and whitey goes uptable and back off the short endrail to leave a shot on the 8 or the 5.

It takes a little practice to convince yourself that the shot works, but it can be quite predictable.

Our own Lenny Marshall showed me this shot, so I have to give the credit to him ;)

Thanks.

Bernie.

That shot is a strong shot that some players dont know. Johnny Ervolino showed me this shot in 1999 and I have been shooting it ever since. It puts your opponent in a world of hurt. I was giving a lesson down here about 4 years ago and I showed the person this shot and 2 days later it came up and they needed all 3 and got out.:D
If the cueball is about an inch higher it lays real juicy!!
P.S. the 5 ball doesn't bank off the long rail it goes uptable and hits by the middle diamond and comes back down. The cueball caroms uptable off of the balls just to the right of the middle diamond but the inside english will then spin the cueball to the left side of the table not leaving a bank on the 5 ball (well one he cant shoot anyway because the 11 ball is in your hole or by it and the 8 ball is by the 2nd diamond on your side rail)

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I like Bernie and The Hacker's shot, very much so. Also remember the little ploy where you can kick gently at the 15 and let the cue ball take it's place as you take an intentional and make the score 5-5, but you spot one right up against the cue ball and put him in a death trap...

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

Thanks.

Bernie.

This same shot came up here on a WWYD and Dr. Bill explained the workings of it. It definitely is a good shot with good results. I have since played this shot a number of times with good results.

By the way Bernie I watched you play this past weekend on Lenny's stream and you really do have a good game. Nice shooting.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Thanks.

Bernie.

Awesome, can't wait to try this out!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Thanks.

Bernie.
i drew the 8 alittle short

the 8 ball will usually come over to your side as onepockethacker mentioned
wwyd5.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Gabe got away with one here. The ten ball looks to be too far from the end rail to bring it over to Gabe's side and still control (stop) the cue ball. He could easily have sold out a no risk bank or possibly something worse. As it is he has a move working but one which could backfire on him if Larry can pull off a good shot here.

I can see Larry playing a carom with the five ball off the eleven. The cue ball takes a natural roll to the side rail and on to the end rail for position. The five plays natural toward the pocket. A half ball hit would do the trick. Yes, there is risk of giving up a simple bank with this shot but the odds are in Larry's favor for a good outcome.

Tom

onepockethacker

Verified Member
he left nevel like this
View attachment 8984

I bank the 8 ball from here with left english and go up table with the cueball. The only other shot worth anything is banking the 10 ball up to the 3 diamond on your side rail but if your opponent can see the 10 ball it isn't worth shit.
P.S. The billiard with the balls by the spot is a sucker shot.. unless you make it then your a hero:D

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Rob, I don't see how banking the ten back up table is a good shot unless you can kill the cue ball on the bottom rail. This is tough to control and not give up a good bank on the eight, five, or eleven. There are way too many banks to choose from down there. The other shot of banking the eight ball can be a very effective shot but has some risk to it. First, enough English must be applied so as to avoid hitting the elven or five on the way back up table and second the English leads the cue ball directly toward the upper corner pocket. If this shot is hit well I like it very much.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Rob, I don't see how banking the ten back up table is a good shot unless you can kill the cue ball on the bottom rail. This is tough to control and not give up a good bank on the eight, five, or eleven. There are way too many banks to choose from down there. The other shot of banking the eight ball can be a very effective shot but has some risk to it. First, enough English must be applied so as to avoid hitting the elven or five on the way back up table and second the English leads the cue ball directly toward the upper corner pocket. If this shot is hit well I like it very much.

Tom

I wouldn't bank the 8ball if I was getting backed from a backer that I despised:sorry. Playing the carom is a much better shot but one that I still wouldn't be comfortable with shooting. Another shot would be to play the 13ball and billiard the 8ball, if this shot is laying right for the billiard it's by far the strongest shot available. You're losing by the score of six to five and have a chance to send both balls toward your pocket, if either ball falls...game over. If that shot isn't available I would consider playing off the 10ball like Hacker mentioned, at least he was able to grab ahold of himself before he committed to banking the 8ball.:eek::p

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I wouldn't bank the 8ball if I was getting backed from a backer that I despised:sorry. Playing the carom is a much better shot but one that I still wouldn't be comfortable with shooting. Another shot would be to play the 13ball and billiard the 8ball, if this shot is laying right for the billiard it's by far the strongest shot available. You're losing by the score of six to five and have a chance to send both balls toward your pocket, if either ball falls...game over. If that shot isn't available I would consider playing off the 10ball like Hacker mentioned, at least he was able to grab ahold of himself before he committed to banking the 8ball.:eek::p

Dr. Bill

Bill, I was with you 100% until I set the shot up and tried it a few times. Surprisingly enough the shot works well but as I said, navigating past the five and eleven requires a fair amount of English and that English sends the cue ball toward the corner pocket which makes the shot somewhat problematic.

I also set up the same situation (as best I can figure it) and played the carom shot which is the shot I most like (not that I like it) it's just the best I see here. Like you, I thought I might be in a position to play off the five and carom the eight but the natural angle does not play into the eight. That is unless I set the shot up incorrectly which is entirely possible.

Tom

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I got in Late, but this is for the OP;

I'd cut the 11 three ball combo and cue a horizontal 9 o'clock stunner and land whitey middle of the foot rail froze. The Swipe movement of your cue ball will Push the line of balls ever so slightly/all of em...towards your opponents pocket, with the 5 ball jammin' up the ten ball up table. You'll be hiding behind the eleven 8 combo that will line up towards the 10-5 at the head of the table. If ya come a little long and your still on the foot rail, it's all good. This shot is very controllable, plus the eleven ball combo will widen the 11-8 wall for your benefit, opponent will have to go up table with whitey on his next shot.

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

Billy once again banking the 8 ball is another ROUTINE shot.. if you cant execute it dont bother worrying about the WWYD's because you aren't going to beat anyone. Cutting at the stripe and playing the billiard on the 8 ball is the mentality that got you to 0 and 3 against me. Now Billy if i keep turning the light bulb on for you pretty soon we will be playing even:eek::lol You out shoot me 2 to 1 its your thinking that is your downfall:sorry:D:p
P.S. Im laughing thinking about YOU shooting the cut on the stripe and billiard on the 8 ball saying to yourself..." MAN ARE THEY GOING TO CHEER WHEN I PULL THIS ONE OFF" LMFAO Then you shoot and its the old HOMER SIMPSON...D'OH

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Billy once again banking the 8 ball is another ROUTINE shot.. if you cant execute it dont bother worrying about the WWYD's because you aren't going to beat anyone. Cutting at the stripe and playing the billiard on the 8 ball is the mentality that got you to 0 and 3 against me. Now Billy if i keep turning the light bulb on for you pretty soon we will be playing even:eek::lol You out shoot me 2 to 1 its your thinking that is your downfall:sorry:D:p
P.S. Im laughing thinking about YOU shooting the cut on the stripe and billiard on the 8 ball saying to yourself..." MAN ARE THEY GOING TO CHEER WHEN I PULL THIS ONE OFF" LMFAO Then you shoot and its the old HOMER SIMPSON...D'OH

Rob, I think you are being too critical in your assessment of the carom shot. I see many way this shot can be played successfully even without pocketing the five ball. I admit the shot has its potential down side but so does the bank on the eight ball. There are also many things with that bank which can go wrong too. All in all I think the decision to shoot one or the other of these two shots is measured in the comfort level of the shooter. The better I feel with any particular shot at any particular time is usually the best option. Second guessing ones self is rarely the best decision. To put it another way I have learned to trust my instincts. BTW, If there is a natural carom into the eight ball, (which I do not believe there is) then all the better.

Tom

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Well I would bank the 8 ball without question. You have to load up and bank at the 15 ball to avoid the kiss but it's still what I would shoot. I make many lame choices, and Hacker has to scold me using uppercase (yelling at me ) :eek: even thought the threads are labeled WWYD. :frus I feel comfortable he won't scold me here since I like the same shot the Grand Poobah does. :)
Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
First of all, the "5 ball" appears to me to be a stripe. Could it be the 13-ball? Anyway, from the picture in post #9 it doesn't look to me like the CB would even carom into the 8 ball, unless it caromed so thin that it might scratch in the corner. But to me, there are too many things that could go wrong with that shot. I'd resist the urge...;)

For better players, I like Rob's banking the 8 ball with inside english. For average players, loading up the CB with that much inside at that distance carries the risk of hitting the OB wrong, with unpleasant results. Still, I might take a swing at it.:)

Shooting the 8 ball bank with no english will cause a kiss, but with inside it's probably okay.

Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
First of all, the "5 ball" appears to me to be a stripe. Could it be the 13-ball? Anyway, from the picture in post #9 it doesn't look to me like the CB would even carom into the 8 ball, unless it caromed so thin that it might scratch in the corner. But to me, there are too many things that could go wrong with that shot. I'd resist the urge...;)

For better players, I like Rob's banking the 8 ball with inside english. For average players, loading up the CB with that much inside at that distance carries the risk of hitting the OB wrong, with unpleasant results. Still, I might take a swing at it.:)

Shooting the 8 ball bank with no english will cause a kiss, but with inside it's probably okay.

Doc

I totally agree with you on that carom. That does not look juicy to me at all; I would not even consider considering it :) But, I do learn something new in here everyday :cool: