Out-moved?

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
Do you win most of your matches because you out-move your opponent, or because your opponent miss balls he should make?

Why do you lose? Do you get desperate and try shots you are not a favourite to make, or do you dog the run-out when given a chance?

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Thinking too much. And hurrying after I think.
Roy Steffensen said:
Do you win most of your matches because you out-move your opponent, or because your opponent miss balls he should make?

Why do you lose? Do you get desperate and try shots you are not a favourite to make, or do you dog the run-out when given a chance?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Roy Steffensen said:

All of the above, but you still get 9/8 in Las Vegas, and if I have too much to drink at our dinner (highly likely) that could go to 10/8.:p

Actually, I was a very good defensive player for most of my one pocket playing days and would wait for a mistake and had plenty of patience to wait for a shot and could run a few balls when I got one.

With the game today being much more agressive, I have kind of gone along with the flow and become more of a "Gofer" myself. I just do not have the patience I used to have and this is partly due to getting beat too many times by todays players that have more firepower than they used to. If you play safe too long they will ultimately come up with a shot that will beat you. The new players know enough moves to be dangerous but fire at their hole often enough to keep a ball running stroke going.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
jrhendy said:
All of the above, but you still get 9/8 in Las Vegas, and if I have too much to drink at our dinner (highly likely) that could go to 10/8.:p

Actually, I was a very good defensive player for most of my one pocket playing days and would wait for a mistake and had plenty of patience to wait for a shot and could run a few balls when I got one.

With the game today being much more agressive, I have kind of gone along with the flow and become more of a "Gofer" myself. I just do not have the patience I used to have and this is partly due to getting beat too many times by todays players that have more firepower than they used to. If you play safe too long they will ultimately come up with a shot that will beat you. The new players know enough moves to be dangerous but fire at their hole often enough to keep a ball running stroke going.

That's the kind of response I was looking for.

I started playing one-pocket just a few years ago, and most of the guys I play against only know the "8 and out" move. They go for everything, and very often succeed which turns the game in their favour even if they dog it and only run a few balls.

They play "wrong" one-pocket, but still succeed a lot. So with the new kind of players playing the game, is moving skills not so important anymore, cause the best shooter will win in the end?

(I won't even go near a table if you don't give me a much better handicap. I can't compete at your level, you play too smart. I don't even know what kind of spot I should ask for, cause I am such a newbie that I can't tell a good spot from a bad spot).

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Roy Steffensen said:
I started playing one-pocket just a few years ago, and most of the guys I play against only know the "8 and out" move. They go for everything, and very often succeed which turns the game in their favour even if they dog it and only run a few balls.

They play "wrong" one-pocket, but still succeed a lot. So with the new kind of players playing the game, is moving skills not so important anymore, cause the best shooter will win in the end?
your moving skills have to get better and your shooting skills too to beat those guys
the guys that really play "wrong "one pocket you should beat unless their shooting skills are many levels above your moving skills
because if they never miss you should be getting a big spot:D
but john i think gave a very sincere observation from a very experienced player(thanks john)
as well as he knows the game he has had to make adjustments to his shot selection because of the mindset and firepower of the new generation
very strong observation john:)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Roy, I will never be a shooter - I've known that for a long time. To have a shot at winning I have to be careful and leave the CB in safe places, which I have learned to do reasonably well. When I lose, it's often because I have gone for a shot that 'might turn out pretty good' but doesn't. On a good day, I pretend not to see those shots at all. It's my best bet.

If anyone is going to be successful going for such shots, he had better be able to run out the game when they work. Don't take big risks when you are hoping to get a couple of balls.

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Roy Steffensen said:

This is something I'm trying to change about all of my games right now; especially 1P.

I most often win because the other guy misses a shot he's supposed to make. I usually get a number of balls when they miss a ball and play for shape.

However, I would really love to learn how to *force* a guy to make a mistake, how to repeatedly trap him so that in order for him to not foul he has to sell out a shot. I expect this wont come in a matter of months, but only years of subtle study and table-practice will at some point give me what I want.

In the same vein (vane? vain?), I also lose games because I miss shots I'm not supposed to. If I'm down in the count and the guy leaves me a full table slice, I'll fire at it, if I feel I'm at least 60% to make it. But that's the end of things...

I usually lose a game somewhere in the middle when I miss some silly little punt shot trying to get shape around the stack and forget to make the ball before adding position. :/

Wayne

Verified Member
Roy Steffensen said:

Not necessarily. If you become a great mover you can break down a great shooter. It is fascinating sometimes to see a great shooter all of a sudden unable to make a ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Roy Steffensen said:

I win mostly by out-moving the opponent. When I lose it's most often because I insist on attempting to play safe AND move a ball(s) toward my hole, in situations where I should know better. That's when I make most of my mistakes.

Doc

Weatherman

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, Ga.
Why do I lose???

Why do I lose???

Why do I lose?

That's easy.

Because I THINK like Efren
( before you all go crazy, I said "like" not "equal to" )

and EXECUTE like, well, ME!

a dangerous combination!

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Roy Steffensen said:

If I win, it is usually because I out-moved my opponent, and I ran well with the shots I got. I lose when either I mess up a move and they run out, or more often, when I dog the shot I worked so hard to earn. The two most frustrating mistakes would be, missing with ball-in-hand and getting just one ball or two balls when you should have got a whole bunch. How many times do I have to beat my opponent to the shot????

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
NH Steve said:
If I win, it is usually because I out-moved my opponent, and I ran well with the shots I got. I lose when either I mess up a move and they run out, or more often, when I dog the shot I worked so hard to earn. The two most frustrating mistakes would be, missing with ball-in-hand and getting just one ball or two balls when you should have got a whole bunch. How many times do I have to beat my opponent to the shot????

Me too Steve.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:

When you say you out moved youre opponent by out moving him. Explain what you did. People want too nohowe you did it.

Give the facts.

Tell them what you did to beat youre opponent to the shot. Cont just make it cut and dry and say you won because you out moved hum.

Share youre knowledge and experience.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Artie Bodendorfer said:
When you say you out moved youre opponent by out moving him. Explain what you did. People want too nohowe you did it.

Give the facts.

Tell them what you did to beat youre opponent to the shot. Cont just make it cut and dry and say you won because you out moved hum.

Share youre knowledge and experience.
if i knew how to quote 2 posts is put steves post here.
thats a great explanation for me too regarding winning and losing

outmoving my opponent means i was able to move balls into makeable positions for me while keeping him in situations where he could not do anything offensive.
or had trouble nuetralising the positions i put him in
i could keep the pressure on him

shooter718

Thinking too much

Thinking too much

newfosgatesucks said:
Thinking too much. And hurrying after I think.

Around here we call that "paralysis through analysis"!

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
shooter718 said:
Around here we call that "paralysis through analysis"![/QUOTE

I will just give one parts off moving. Moving means you have control off the ehole game and never loosing that position. Just like in Chess. I am not going to explain how you do that .

It took a lot off time and thinking to figure it out. And maybe the way for you to learn it is by you doing it and figureing it out.

Or ask some off the fire power dhooters howe you do that. Thier are a lot off socalled experts. Ask them howr you do that. And we have some good one pocket minds on this site ask them.

Im sure they have some answers. I will give one more important part too pool that everyone should learn. A little latter.

And then I will take a rest. Because I have to get my story out on 60 minuits or on TV or in the newspaper. Or a appointment with the president.

This is my goal. And it needs to be done nowe. And if someone has the answer how is can do it thenm. It will be a big help for the country and the peopl;e.

And thats is all I am interested in wright now. And what I will be working on.

And I hope someone has a better way or Idea howe this can be done.

For he good off the country.And the generation off our children and grand children. I hope some one comes up with the answer.