Opponent choked me

Eengat

Verified Member
Over in Europe, we played a long set of short rack banks. I have been practicing a lot. When setting the balls open up in practice i more often make 5/6 balls occasionally 8/9/10
But yesterday my opponent put pressure on me. I couldn't see straight anymore.
I then tried to fall back on system and structure but that didn't help.
I lost all feeling for the shots.

What do you do then? Force the issue, play aggressive...i mean we are past the point of deliberation and slowing the game down.
My opponent is freewheeling at this point.

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Over in Europe, we played a long set of short rack banks. I have been practicing a lot. When setting the balls open up in practice i more often make 5/6 balls occasionally 8/9/10

What do you do then? Force the issue, play aggressive...i mean we are past the point of deliberation and slowing the game down.

Well, it's not surprising you can't see straight and are losing feeling!

Tell him to quit choking you!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The one time I played in DCC Banks division when I warmed up on the table I was raining banks like crazy. My opponent came to the table as I was on a roll and saw that. Once the match started he had decided to play me real tight, and I saw very little to shoot at. When I did shoot, yeah more often than not missed and he mopped up the remains, lol. He told me after that watching me run banks earlier he decided he better do that, and it sure worked. I think that illustrates how just practicing on your own is not sufficient to make you "match tough" -- you need to face the competition who will make you pay for playing too loose (unless everything is falling for you of course!). Experience helps with that and possibly for practice you could "take turns" vs yourself -- one of you playing more aggressively and the other much more defensively. Just a thought and good luck!! Great to see the European Banks and One Pocket happening!!

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I agree with Steve on 'playing yourself'. I do that quite a bit and like to play as he recommended some. Play one side wide open and the other very conservative . I hook myself just to see if I can get out of it without leaving a shot. "How do you get to Carnegie Hall" - practice, practice, practice ;) :D :D

Later, Pel

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
banking

banking

If i'm hitting em good, I don't have to worry about being out moved, if a player will run and gun with me, I stand a good chance of winning.

John Brumback

Verified Member
If i'm hitting em good, I don't have to worry about being out moved, if a player will run and gun with me, I stand a good chance of winning.

That's cause you been playin bank pool for 55 years.........JB

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
this is very obvious, but sometimes when youre feeling the pressure, the fundamentals of pool fall by the wayside,i would have slowed WAY down and just made sure i was keeping everything straight fundamentally...... just an aside, ive always thought a long race of 9ball banks was better for a offensive banker,and full rack better for defensive minded bankers.......

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I was playing in a big tournament and was actually playing up to my speed.
I wasn't nervous, no pressure, stroking well.
All of a sudden I lost touch with my body, it was like I was tripping but it must have been Adrenalin.
I have a video tape of me during the loose stage and then you see me and I looked like a cheap robot , just moving around like I was on a program, it's actually pretty funny.
never did have it again or ever figure out what happened.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

What often helps me is a stiff shot of Bourbon.