Onepocket.org only tourney

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
The Roots of SSI and SSII events Success

The Roots of SSI and SSII events Success

Let's start out with a location that is central to a majority.

Red Shoes in Chicago, or maybe more south... let's start with a location that has near accomodations.

The same mindset is prevalent in my immediate area...give and you get....we each give/spend allot to get there and our time and such, it's nice to see and have a room owner understand this and ''it's good For business''. Having worked in Customer Service for 37 years....DUH. This owner, as we all know in the bar/poolroom business is a ''one of kind person'' by his actions. Bogies at present.....is the exception to ''all the events'' I've EVER attended in my years of ''draggin the pot'', except the collegiate events. What I'm hoping, others REALIZE this type of business model is a no brainer. It's at the core of church thought. My town and any others within thirty miles have NO parking meters Anywhere, business owners and patrons love it. It's tough when all they do is Take, then the give hopefully comes.....here it's real.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
How about Romines in Milwaukee? If you have never been there, it's like missing Willie Munson :). or Nelson :D

Romines is a nice room, been there many times. It's not really central to anywhere.

I'm going to make my own pool room list, in the order I think is best overall considering many factors.

1. Bogies. Come on man, no room other than Buffaloe's comes close to supporting the players.

2. Memphis. It's pretty much in the middle of the country

3. Chicago. One pocket galore

4. New Orleans. Lots of one pocket and you can't beat the food.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Romines is a nice room, been there many times. It's not really central to anywhere.

I'm going to make my own pool room list, in the order I think is best overall considering many factors.

1. Bogies. Come on man, no room other than Buffaloe's comes close to supporting the players.

2. Memphis. It's pretty much in the middle of the country

3. Chicago. One pocket galore

4. New Orleans. Lots of one pocket and you can't beat the food.

Means a lot coming from you, because you have been everywhere!

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Memphis

Memphis

I play more at Southaven Rec Center now than Highpockets, but I still love HP , Tracy and all the friends there. SH has always been the one pocket poolroom of Memphis. I have tried to stay neutral in the discussion but if you want I'll talk to Rowsey or Tracy and see who would be interested in holding this Momentous Inaugual Event.~T

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I just got off the phone with Frank Haines, the owner of Lacy's Cue in Chalmette (New Orleans). He said he'd love to host the event as far as free table time. Said we could have 6-8 tables-- whatever we need. Lacy's has 15 Diamond Pro's and 17 Diamond bar boxes. There is decent food available, and a good bar. It's non-smoking, and clean. http://www.lacyscue.com/

So if there are other locales willing to host, let's get them listed, then we can poll the guys to see which venue they would support, and then set a date.

~Doc

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I just got off the phone with Frank Haines, the owner of Lacy's Cue in Chalmette (New Orleans). He said he'd love to host the event as far as free table time. Said we could have 6-8 tables-- whatever we need. Lacy's has 15 Diamond Pro's and 17 Diamond bar boxes. There is decent food available, and a good bar. It's non-smoking, and clean. http://www.lacyscue.com/

So if there are other locales willing to host, let's get them listed, then we can poll the guys to see which venue they would support, and then set a date.

~Doc

I'm in for a New Orleans tourney.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Whatta ya think of a once a year one pocket tournament for members only.
Sort of a get acquainted in person gathering complete with a nice dinner celebration together before the tournament.

We could do a race to 4? no losers bracket? One weekend? $100.00 entry?

Establish some tier movement among us perhaps, any takers?

I'm in, and I don't care where it's held... :)

Would love to see this happen

I'm in regardless of the format ...

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

~Doc

Doc,

First of all thank you for taking the time and making contact with the owner of Lacy's. Sounds like you put in some time and effort in securing a venue. From how you describe it the place sounds great.

I know LSJohn is also working diligently on procuring a room in or around Memphis. I haven't seen anyone else post on their efforts in acquiring a room in any other part of the country, however I may have missed their post somehow.

I suppose that once all parts of the country are heard from on confirmed locations, then it would be a good time to decide on the "when" in the equation.
I am fairly sure that Lacy's or Memphis would draw enough players (24) to have a great inaugural Members Only One Pocket tournament, but it's probably going to be difficult picking the right weekend for everyone who wants to play. What would some of the main considerations be in deciding upon a date to have this event?

Perhaps now would be a good time to open discussion on the "when" it should be held. Would August the 11th, 12th & the 13th be to soon to have the tournament? Not enough lead time? Conflicts with vacations? Summer school? Job fairs? Other reasons? Who wouldn't have a problem with those dates? Other date suggestions?

Once the "when" is decided democratically, then the lists on the "where" could be posted and voted upon and then we would know both the when and the where... The "Who" would surely follow...

Whatta youse think?

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Would love to see this happen

I'm in regardless of the format ...

Me too Bill! I'm pulling for it...
We have a venue now in Nawlins, courtesy of our very own Gulfportdoc, and LSJohn is also working on getting us a spot in Memphis. Me thinks it might actually happen if a mutual agreement can be found on the room and the time it's held... Got my fingers crossed...:)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

~Doc

Nice work doc!!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Doc,

First of all thank you for taking the time and making contact with the owner of Lacy's. Sounds like you put in some time and effort in securing a venue. From how you describe it the place sounds great.

I know LSJohn is also working diligently on procuring a room in or around Memphis. I haven't seen anyone else post on their efforts in acquiring a room in any other part of the country, however I may have missed their post somehow.

I suppose that once all parts of the country are heard from on confirmed locations, then it would be a good time to decide on the "when" in the equation.
I am fairly sure that Lacy's or Memphis would draw enough players (24) to have a great inaugural Members Only One Pocket tournament, but it's probably going to be difficult picking the right weekend for everyone who wants to play. What would some of the main considerations be in deciding upon a date to have this event?

Perhaps now would be a good time to open discussion on the "when" it should be held. Would August the 11th, 12th & the 13th be to soon to have the tournament? Not enough lead time? Conflicts with vacations? Summer school? Job fairs? Other reasons? Who wouldn't have a problem with those dates? Other date suggestions?

Once the "when" is decided democratically, then the lists on the "where" could be posted and voted upon and then we would know both the when and the where... The "Who" would surely follow...

Whatta youse think?

I bumped this up to get some feed back on a good time/date to have the tournament. All opinions of those who might attend either the Memphis or the New Orleans pool rooms for the members only tournament would really be appreciated. If you have thoughts about this, please share them, as this is a gathering of members and they should be the ones who decide the when and the where.

Just trying to help out Doc... LSJohn... Hope you don't take it as meddling, even though that's zactly what I'm doing...:rolleyes::):):D

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Any weekend in Aug or Sept works fine for me, especially in New Orleans or Memphis. If streaming isn't something we care about, we can start the matches early every day, say 5 pm. Might be able to do the entire tournament in 2 days that way.

If they have wi-fi/internet available, I can provide the equipment needed to run the brackets and display it on a big TV there, if they have one available.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Any weekend in Aug or Sept works fine for me, especially in New Orleans or Memphis. If streaming isn't something we care about, we can start the matches early every day, say 5 pm. Might be able to do the entire tournament in 2 days that way.

If they have wi-fi/internet available, I can provide the equipment needed to run the brackets and display it on a big TV there, if they have one available.

So, should someone start a list of attendees???? Disco Dave has said yes, and you also. I'll go for sure and I'm fairly certain of Gulfportdoc, probably count LSJohn in as well and several others whom I am not listing have expressed a desire to play and some others have said they would come. Looks like it's off and running guys... :):). Who's in for sure if it's in August or September?

Streaming would definitely be great!!! That way the members unable to attend would get to put faces on some of the members they haven't met, plus it would give the owner of the room some free pub for his pool room.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I bumped this up to get some feed back on a good time/date to have the tournament. All opinions of those who might attend either the Memphis or the New Orleans pool rooms for the members only tournament would really be appreciated. If you have thoughts about this, please share them, as this is a gathering of members and they should be the ones who decide the when and the where.

Just trying to help out Doc... LSJohn... Hope you don't take it as meddling, even though that's zactly what I'm doing...:rolleyes::):):D

Don't be silly, Jeff.;) After all, you're the guy who's gotten all these things rolling: the Super Senior, the Senior, and now this. The more input, the better. This should be a community affair. We'll just see how much feedback there is. If guys don't offer an opinion, then we'll never know if the thing will even fly.

There's no rush, so we ought to put it far enough ahead to allow enough guys to mull it over, and to get on board. I'd think the Fall, or even the Winter would be a possible target. If the event is in the South-central, then there's no fear of snow, ice, cancelled flights, etc.

I'd suggest a weekend; probably a midday start, finish on Sunday suppertime-- so guys have travel time. If there are fewer than 20 players, it might could be completed in one day. That would leave more time for eating, drinking, high jinx, and sight-seeing. But there's nothing yet carved in stone.

BTW, I don't intend to be the TD or promoter. I'd gladly be the liaison with Lacy's-- acquiring the tables and arranging event times. But we all know the 1p.o rules, respect each other, and want to have a good time, so I think the guys can direct themselves.:)

~Doc

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Streaming would definitely be great!!! That way the members unable to attend would get to put faces on some of the members they haven't met, plus it would give the owner of the room some free pub for his pool room.

We could ask Crazy Erica to stream it. :heh

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
There is wi-fi at lacy's. I'd bet Erica might be happy to do it. I don't even know if she charges... Of course the only guys even remotely interested in our little tournament would be the guys on the forum who couldn't make it.:lol

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
There is wi-fi at lacy's. I'd bet Erica might be happy to do it. I don't even know if she charges... Of course the only guys even remotely interested in our little tournament would be the guys on the forum who couldn't make it.:lol

~Doc

I don't know about that, Doc, Hacker was the only guy I knew in the Florida matches and I found them interesting. Oh I do remember Black Bart but didn't recognize him.

I hope Erica got her thing resolved though.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't know about that, Doc, Hacker was the only guy I knew in the Florida matches and I found them interesting. Oh I do remember Black Bart but didn't recognize him.

I hope Erica got her thing resolved though.
Heh, heh. But those guys in Florida could PLAY!...:D Plus the 10-footer was an interesting curio.

Erica is no shrinking violet. She can take care of herself. Something seemed awfully wrong about that incident, but since the matter went off the radar, I just kept my nose out of it.

~Doc

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Just got back from a cruise

Just got back from a cruise

I'll play, don't care about the entry fee, just need time enough to plan...

B