Onepocket.org only tourney

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I Emailed the owner, Frank H. If I don't hear back in a few days, I'll call him. My guess is that he'd be willing to donate time on a few tables over a weekend, but I don't know. Depends if he felt as though he'd be losing business or not.

Wherever it is, and depending upon the number of guys who commit, it might be smart to kick around a few scenarios. If we get all levels it could be beneficial to have an A-B-C handicap system, $100+ entry.

I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion....;)

~Doc
my 2 cents
dont handicapp it
if you can afford to travel /hotel/ etc
you can afford $100
why try to handicapp everyone with you know the resulting you were sand bagging crap
the players who realize they have no chance would still want to come to be there and mingle
like me
its an opportunity to meet my commrades in arms and donate alittle
my pleasure,,,,,:)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
my 2 cents
dont handicapp it
you can afford $100
why try to handicapp everyone with you know the resulting you were sand bagging crap
the players who realize they have no chance would still want to come to be there and mingle
like me

I agree with Larry. Side matches can be handicapped as needed.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
We can pay green fees if needed, $30 each or something like that. I never have an issue with supporting the local pool hall, they are an endangered species.

I Emailed the owner, Frank H. If I don't hear back in a few days, I'll call him. My guess is that he'd be willing to donate time on a few tables over a weekend, but I don't know. Depends if he felt as though he'd be losing business or not.

Wherever it is, and depending upon the number of guys who commit, it might be smart to kick around a few scenarios. If we get all levels it could be beneficial to have an A-B-C handicap system, $100+ entry.

I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion....;)

~Doc

youngstown

Verified Member
I loved the idea of a round robin. If you are going on a trip and don't get to play everyone, you will feel disappointed that you didn't get to play soandso afterwards...

yk

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Edit: Crap. I see I posted this in the wrong thread, but I guess one place is as good as another (and I have to sleep sometime. )

I'm in New Orleans, and so are Saez and McMinn that I know of from the Southhaven entry list.

Lots of action. Orcollo gave Randy Whelen(SP?) 13-4 for Big Bux. Dennis won the first set and I think the bet was doubled for the second set. When I finally fell asleep in my chair about 5:00 am, they had quit their race to 7 to be resumed later today with Dennis down 5-2. It's over now, but I don't know who won -- I almost bet Randy $1000 on that second set. Whew!

Dennis gave some guy that plays better than me the break and first shot, ball in had -- even on scratches on the break -- and the 5 ball. 600/game, I think. Dennis didn't like that either.

Joyner playing Jay Bird, Gentile playing Richie, Danny hitting his 4000th practice ball of the day. Oh, If you haven't heard, Dr. Bill played Josh Roberts. As you might imagine, Bill is still moving very well and despite a slow start, seemed to get in gear later in the match. I'll let him tell you as much about it as he chooses.

I played Joe Long for a couple of hours, and I played so poorly it got him to playing bad too; our excuse is that neither of us had slept more than a couple of hours in the previous 26-28.

Haven't seen Frost or SVB yet, but I think the rest of the 16 have checked in. I remember Evan Lunda now from the Derby. Young guy maybe 22-24 who plays very well.

J. (Jason) Swarz -- who is a 1P org member and a roadie for Big Truck -- and I played a couple of hours and broke even.

You wouldn't believe what Buffalo and crew have to go through to get their 7000 sf (+/-) place ready to handle an event of this magnitude. Overflow crowd -- they had to close one rest room and turn it into a hallway to accommodate traffic flow -- besides having to move every table in the place and to arrange VIP seating. 9 Diamonds with 4 1/8 pockets. I think they'll only be using 8 of them for the tournament, but maybe all 9. Moving the tables means moving the lights as well. A nightmare.

This is a great place for pool addicts, especially those who like to wager a buck or two. I might have mentioned after the last one that there's a sign on the wall that says "No gambling cheap on the front tables" :heh

Buffalo's staff is REALLY efficient and friendly. A pleasant change from what we run into a lot of places.

I wish more of you could be here. Joey A is here -- he lives here -- and I see member azbombero (sp?) is here but we haven't met yet. I'll try to look him up tomorrow. Haven't seen JTom, Doc or Disco Dave, yet, but I expect them to check in tomorrow, and although I haven't heard, I'll be surprised if troutman (Maurice LeBlanc from Houston) doesn't turn up tomorrow. I'm surprised that I haven't seen Fireman KC -- he lives here. Hope he'll show up tomorrow. Railbirds, sweaters and stakehorses here from all over.

I saw a guy I recognized from somewhere and I thought he might be Ike (from DC?) that Dancin Dave played at the Derby, so I asked him and he's another guy I have seen at Derby. Very nice guy. I told him I thought he was Ike because Ike is an ugly MF. :eek: He took it pretty well, as evidenced by the fact that I have zero black eyes.

Scott Rabon and Dr. Bill will be commentating. I haven't seen Rabon yet, but it's still early.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
my 2 cents
dont handicapp it
you can afford $100
like me
Larry, couldn't you mingle just as well if you actually had the opportunity to win a game or two?:D And to whom would you be donating? The gathering would be seen not as a charity event, but one where guys get to meet & greet, have some harmless competition, and probably some high jinx.;)

Any handicap system would be minor and slight, with very little spread between the best and least. But it doesn't matter to me whether it's handicapped or not. Most major tournaments I've played in, I've had no chance to win. But for most guys who would consider travelling any distance, it would be nice if they felt they might actually be able to win a match.:) But it would be up to the majority.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Depending on where this thing was held I may or may not be able to go, but for what it's worth I would vote for a non handicap tourney (and believe me I am going to be on the end that would get more of the spots when matching up). They have those in Cincinnati once in a great while put on by Dee Adkins and I am just not a fan because of some of the points mentioned earlier (people sandbagging and a lot of complaints).

I do really like the round robin idea but depending on how many people showed up, that may take too long.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, couldn't you mingle just as well if you actually had the opportunity to win a game or two?:D And to whom would you be donating? The gathering would be seen not as a charity event, but one where guys get to meet & greet, have some harmless competition, and probably some high jinx.;)

Any handicap system would be minor and slight, with very little spread between the best and least. But it doesn't matter to me whether it's handicapped or not. Most major tournaments I've played in, I've had no chance to win. But for most guys who would consider travelling any distance, it would be nice if they felt they might actually be able to win a match.:) But it would be up to the majority.

~Doc
doc
all good points
and i would go with what everyone else wants to do
i just thought no handicap would make for one less thing to have to figure out
the entry fee is the donation and like you most tourneys i am in i have no chance but enjoy the experience
having a chance would be a new experience....:D

keoneyo

Verified Member
The success of the previous seniors tournament was due to the ample time to prepare for it. From posters and flyers to coordination of scheduling. I hope that people arent rushing it. July seems too close. Just my opinion.

If its just a meet and greet casual affair than thats another thing.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
The success of the previous seniors tournament was due to the ample time to prepare for it. From posters and flyers to coordination of scheduling. I hope that people arent rushing it. July seems too close. Just my opinion.

keoneyo,

It was just thrown out there to solicit responses and yes, July seems a bit quick. I would like it to happen in one of the warm months of the year so when it was moved up north to Chicago or Philly, or wherever, the travel part wouldn't be a problem.

This thing is gonna take some tweaking for sure, but it's certainly doable. Perhaps a two tier system would work, 1st and 2nd tier. Clearly some members would be out of their depth playing in the 1st tier, and would have a much better chance of competing in the 2nd tier. Have two divisions... Put yourself in one or the other and if you are deemed a sandbagger you get automatically moved up to the 1st tier next year. Besides, who's gonna sandbag anyway, surely they realize they wouldn't be able to live it down, it's a members only tournament, and it's supposed to be about having fun and meeting the members while mixing it up in a friendly competition. Just sayin.... I'm gonna put myself in the 1st tier and hope to compete with all the great players who are members here.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Edit: Crap. I see I posted this in the wrong thread, but I guess one place is as good as another (and I have to sleep sometime. )

I'm in New Orleans, and so are Saez and McMinn that I know of from the Southhaven entry list.

Lots of action. Orcollo gave Randy Whelen(SP?) 13-4 for Big Bux. Dennis won the first set and I think the bet was doubled for the second set. When I finally fell asleep in my chair about 5:00 am, they had quit their race to 7 to be resumed later today with Dennis down 5-2. It's over now, but I don't know who won -- I almost bet Randy $1000 on that second set. Whew!

Dennis gave some guy that plays better than me the break and first shot, ball in had -- even on scratches on the break -- and the 5 ball. 600/game, I think. Dennis didn't like that either.

Joyner playing Jay Bird, Gentile playing Richie, Danny hitting his 4000th practice ball of the day. Oh, If you haven't heard, Dr. Bill played Josh Roberts. As you might imagine, Bill is still moving very well and despite a slow start, seemed to get in gear later in the match. I'll let him tell you as much about it as he chooses.

I played Joe Long for a couple of hours, and I played so poorly it got him to playing bad too; our excuse is that neither of us had slept more than a couple of hours in the previous 26-28.

Haven't seen Frost or SVB yet, but I think the rest of the 16 have checked in. I remember Evan Lunda now from the Derby. Young guy maybe 22-24 who plays very well.

J. (Jason) Swarz -- who is a 1P org member and a roadie for Big Truck -- and I played a couple of hours and broke even.

You wouldn't believe what Buffalo and crew have to go through to get their 7000 sf (+/-) place ready to handle an event of this magnitude. Overflow crowd -- they had to close one rest room and turn it into a hallway to accommodate traffic flow -- besides having to move every table in the place and to arrange VIP seating. 9 Diamonds with 4 1/8 pockets. I think they'll only be using 8 of them for the tournament, but maybe all 9. Moving the tables means moving the lights as well. A nightmare.

This is a great place for pool addicts, especially those who like to wager a buck or two. I might have mentioned after the last one that there's a sign on the wall that says "No gambling cheap on the front tables" :heh

Buffalo's staff is REALLY efficient and friendly. A pleasant change from what we run into a lot of places.

I wish more of you could be here. Joey A is here -- he lives here -- and I see member azbombero (sp?) is here but we haven't met yet. I'll try to look him up tomorrow. Haven't seen JTom, Doc or Disco Dave, yet, but I expect them to check in tomorrow, and although I haven't heard, I'll be surprised if troutman (Maurice LeBlanc from Houston) doesn't turn up tomorrow. I'm surprised that I haven't seen Fireman KC -- he lives here. Hope he'll show up tomorrow. Railbirds, sweaters and stakehorses here from all over.

I saw a guy I recognized from somewhere and I thought he might be Ike (from DC?) that Dancin Dave played at the Derby, so I asked him and he's another guy I have seen at Derby. Very nice guy. I told him I thought he was Ike because Ike is an ugly MF. :eek: He took it pretty well, as evidenced by the fact that I have zero black eyes.

Scott Rabon and Dr. Bill will be commentating. I haven't seen Rabon yet, but it's still early.

I know why you got mixed up and excited and put it in the wrong thread. I know why you really made the trip. I'm trying to get a flight right now. I may just charter something.

Just going on. Thanks for reports

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
keoneyo,

It was just thrown out there to solicit responses and yes, July seems a bit quick. I would like it to happen in one of the warm months of the year so when it was moved up north to Chicago or Philly, or wherever, the travel part wouldn't be a problem.

This thing is gonna take some tweaking for sure, but it's certainly doable. Perhaps a two tier system would work, 1st and 2nd tier. Clearly some members would be out of their depth playing in the 1st tier, and would have a much better chance of competing in the 2nd tier. Have two divisions... Put yourself in one or the other and if you are deemed a sandbagger you get automatically moved up to the 1st tier next year. Besides, who's gonna sandbag anyway, surely they realize they wouldn't be able to live it down, it's a members only tournament, and it's supposed to be about having fun and meeting the members while mixing it up in a friendly competition. Just sayin.... I'm gonna put myself in the 1st tier and hope to compete with all the great players who are members here.

Im in the fourth tier and I really object to going to the east coast anytime during the summer. Hot, muggy, thunderstorms, tornados, no thanks. New Orleans is fine in November but Jan -Mar can be very cold due to the humidity that chills the bone. I dont understand why the best coast is left out of these discussions. There is a pool room close to the San Jose airport that also is close to the Oakland airport and the San Francisco airport. It is a large room with good food and plenty of tables. I think we should also look into having a room for the members at the DCC. We are a small group with a large following at the DCC and I for one would spend all my time there when not watching the one pocket.:heh

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Are you talking about the time that JR Hendy dreamed about it. He has been talking about it for years. Thats why I knew he was a mortal lock to win.:lol

Cory in dc

Verified Member
keoneyo,

I agree that in a members tourney, sandbagging and bitching should be less of an issue, but you never know.

If we did have two tiers, I honestly have no idea in which tier I should play. I probably need 10-6 from the very best players here, but I'm not even sure about that. And even if I'm right about 10-6, I don't know whether that puts me in the top half or bottom half.

Ultimately, I would have fun either way. Unhandicapped is simpler, though.

Round robin could work. Have groupings to take the field down to either 8 or 4 players in a single elimination tournament. Randomly drawn groups of 4 players, everyone plays everyone 2 games, total games won determines the advancer or advancers (1st tie-break: fewest games lost; 2nd tie-break: total ball margin). Everyone gets at least 6 games against three opponents.

If there are enough tables, you could even use the RR to break the tournament down into two single elimination tournaments. Top 2 finishers go into the high bracket, which has 2/3 of the money, Bottom 2 go into the low bracket, which has 1/3 of the money. (If the field is crowded, then the groupings could have 5, with the bottom finisher in each bracket not advancing.)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I know why you got mixed up and excited and put it in the wrong thread. I know why you really made the trip. I'm trying to get a flight right now. I may just charter something.

Just going on. Thanks for reports

Hell, no, that's not why I came. A little bit of notice would be nice... I didn't even bring my best outfit.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hell, no, that's not why I came. A little bit of notice would be nice... I didn't even bring my best outfit.

"I didn't even bring my best outfit"....:heh:heh:heh:heh:heh:heh
john i really hope we get to meet one day
you are A OK in my book...:)