One pocket with the other pockets

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I have read that one pocket can be played in general with any two of the six pockets and that on occasion Jersey Red used to take one of the corners at the head of the table as a spot for his opponent.
There seems to be quite a bit of gamble in the crowd here so I'm curious if any of you have ever offered or accepted such a proposition? How would you rate this handicap, if possible, in terms of balls?

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Great post!
This starts another of many related sub-topics. This is a matter of opinion again in other words what is the spot worth?

My first was it could be worth as little as 4 balls but as much 12 balls when balls are spotted at only the bottom end of the table.

There are so many variations to the game that i've played. rack the the balls between the two side pockets , another way is we take same side of the table extreme pockets ,,,, spot 1 ball up and the next one spot down.

Interesting opinions to follow ...

cheers

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
ive heard and read that typicaly the guy with the up table pocket gets the break and minimunm of half the opponents balls in weight. Ive tried it a few games (not gamblin) with "weaker" players playing even, and to tell you the truth....its fun as hell :)......to me , almost every defensive shot turned into an offensive one , 2 railer after 2 railer.knokin balls away from his pocket and up to my hole and leaving Qbert behind the stack. After a dozen succesfull innings i usualy got enough stuff up table to go for a winning runout.
BUT i WAS playing a real non 1 pocket player.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I have read that one pocket can be played in general with any two of the six pockets and that on occasion Jersey Red used to take one of the corners at the head of the table as a spot for his opponent.
There seems to be quite a bit of gamble in the crowd here so I'm curious if any of you have ever offered or accepted such a proposition? How would you rate this handicap, if possible, in terms of balls?

The only time I ever gave up other pockets as weight, I gave up the entire side to a guy on a snooker table and we played with regular sized pool balls. I didn't like it but a top player might.

Dennis

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
The only time I ever gave up other pockets as weight, I gave up the entire side to a guy on a snooker table and we played with regular sized pool balls.

That's a pretty wild match up, were there any inebriants involved in arriving at those terms?:)