One Pocket Tournament this weekend in Sterling, VA

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
This weekend in Sterling, VA (30 minutes outside DC), the Planet-Pool tour is holding a two-day one pocket tournament. I believe the entry is around $60 and there is $1,500 or so added. There will be a calcutta. It will be race-to-3 double elimination. It will probably be a very strong field, given the one pocket talent in the area.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
BackPocket9Ball said:
This weekend in Sterling, VA (30 minutes outside DC), the Planet-Pool tour is holding a two-day one pocket tournament. I believe the entry is around $60 and there is $1,500 or so added. There will be a calcutta. It will be race-to-3 double elimination. It will probably be a very strong field, given the one pocket talent in the area.
Sounds great. Keep us updated, will you?

Thanks~ Doc

JAM

Verified Member
Cal said:
What is the starting day and time ?

June 30 – July 1 – First Break Café, Sterling, VA
Part 1 of the Bob Stocks Memorial, we will be hosting our first ever, Bob Stocks Memorial One Pocket Event at First Break Café in Sterling, VA. This will be a $1500 added event, Open Division Only. A Calcutta will be held on Saturday morning with a portion of the proceeds going to the American Heart Foundation! More details to come!

July 7 – July 8 - Side Pockets, Laurel, MD
Tiger Pool Tour 9-Ball Open and Ladies $2000 added
Sunday – a special presentation by the APA – Mike Massey will be holding a trick shot exhibition from 4 pm – 7 pm!

July 21 – July 22 – First Break Café, Sterling, VA
Bob Stocks Memorial – Part 2 – 9-Ball - $2000 Added
Open Division Only and Calcutta held on Saturday!

The memorial is in memory of Bobby Stocks, who was born in North Carolina, but lived in Northern Virginia when I knew him. He actually was a year or two older than Gene Hooker, a popular pool player who also co-promoted the Trumps Marina 10-Ball Championship as well as the annual Carolinas Open held at Fast Eddies in Goldsboro, North Carolina.

Bobby could play a little, but he seemed to enjoy sitting on the sidelines, like me, sweating the action. He loved high-stakes gambling and would sometimes be a stakehorse for pool players, as well as side-betting. He really loved pool, and make no mistake about it, Bobby would bet it up as high as the Georgia pine. I can remember many a night sitting on the rail with Bobby until wee hours of the morning watching players compete. Win or lose, Bobby was a real Southern gentleman when it came to gambling, and if he lost, he was the first one to reach in his pocket to pay you off with a smile.

He owned a very successful transmission shop in Vienna, Virginia, as well as several homes. He did smoke cigarettes which caught up with him in the autumn of his life. I miss seeing him at tournaments. He used to back Pooky from Virginia several times, one time when Pooky won a 10-ball tourney on the Florida Pro Tour. Bobby is missed, and I think it is wonderful that Tiger Tour is having a two-part tournament to commemorate his impact on pool players in my area. He was one of the good guys.

Here's one of the few pictures I have of Bobby on the bottom left, shown with Big Jerry, who is Keith's designated breaker, and Keith.

JAM

JAM

Verified Member
First Break Cafe, the venue site for the Bobby Memorial tournament, is located in Northern Virginia:

First Break Cafe
703-444-2551
46970 Community Plaza
Sterling, VA 20164

If you have never been there before, it is hard to find, located way, way, way in the BACK of the shopping center. It is on Route 7 and as you are driving south, it will be on your left-hand side. The main stores of the shopping center are Burlington Coat Factory and Shoppers Food Warehouse. The shoping center is HUGE.

First Break is on the second floor of a smaller subsection of the shopping center in the back. BTW, smoking is still alowed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and First Break Cafe is a smoking pool room. The owners are action friendly, too, which makes it a nice place to hang out and sweat the action.

JAM

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, for posting this info; I missed this on our Events page.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Reload this Page One Pocket Tournament this weekend in Sterling, VA

Any hotels associated with this tournment ? or recommended

JAM

Verified Member
Cal said:
Any hotels associated with this tournment ? or recommended

There are an abundance of hotels and motels in the area. However, this is Northern Virginia, the D.C. suburbs, and many of them are EXPENSIVE.

If you go to the http://www.planet-pool.com website, they may have some suggestions for lodging. Also, you can e-mail the Tour Director, Cece Strain, and I know she will give you a good choice for lodging, providing the best bang for the buck.

You can call the First Break pool room and ask for Brandon Shuff. Tell him Jennie sent you! :D

JAM

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
jennie,

Will Keith make an appearance?

Not this time, but I look forward to reading all about it. :p

We're hanging home this weekend. I've got mega pages to bang out, and Keith's doing an interview for http://www.theactionreport.com at some point this weekend.

JAM

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Anyone have the results

JAM

Verified Member
Cal said:
Anyone have the results

Matt Clutterbuck came in first place.

"Ilia" -- (can't spell his name) -- from Romania came in second.

Ryan "Genie Man" McCreesh came in third.

JAM