One Pocket sayings...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
...well, not necessarily exclusive to One Pocket, but let's say at least "pool related". I got thinking about this because there were a couple of sayings about "draw" in the Draw Stroke thread.

"Live by the draw, die by the draw"

"Draw for show; follow for dough"

Starting with the most basic for One Pocket:

"Always know the score"

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
...well, not necessarily exclusive to One Pocket, but let's say at least "pool related". I got thinking about this because there were a couple of sayings about "draw" in the Draw Stroke thread.

"Live by the draw, die by the draw"

"Draw for show; follow for dough"

Starting with the most basic for One Pocket:

"Always know the score"

By far, my all-time favorite One Pocket saying is...

"PLAY THE GHOST AND LOSE THE MOST"....:heh

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I used to like it when Buddy Hall said "think too long, think too wrong". I was never sure what to do when I was thinking too long though. Just shoot something without thinking anymore? lol

The biggest farce statement is "there is no luck in one pocket" of course.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Couple of sayins I like are:
A player fixing to shoot a dumb shot: " If you shoot that shot your not playing for enough money."
Player shoots a ral hard shot or hard to get to position shot and misses:
"That will get you to sleeping in the streets shooting like that".
Smitty

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Couple of sayins I like are:
A player fixing to shoot a dumb shot: " If you shoot that shot your not playing for enough money."
Player shoots a ral hard shot or hard to get to position shot and misses:
"That will get you to sleeping in the streets shooting like that".
Smitty

I heard a great Fats quote, something like:

"Fats, we don't want to play on these tables because the pockets are too big".

Fats says "just bet a little higher, they'll tighten up".

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Two guys are arguing whether to play One Pocket or 9 ball.
The 9 ball player says, "Let's play 9 ball, I want the see you shoot".
The One Pocket player replies, "Let's play One Pocket, I want to see you think".

Tom

JAM

Verified Member
Two guys are arguing whether to play One Pocket or 9 ball.
The 9 ball player says, "Let's play 9 ball, I want the see you shoot".
The One Pocket player replies, "Let's play One Pocket, I want to see you think".

Tom

Best! :lol:lol:lol

JAM

Verified Member
Hey Jennie,

Tomorrow is a big day for you. Got anything planned?

You always remember! :) Nothing special, I guess. Work is brutal for me this week, so I'm usually passed out by 7 or 8 p.m. I get up at 4 a.m. most mornings to begin my workday. I just don't have the energy like I used to.

I think my daughter and Keith have something planned for me. Hopefully, I won't have to cook or do dishes. That would be so nice! :D

These birthdays keep sailing by like fenceposts on a highway going 100 miles per hour. Am I really going to be 59? :eek:

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Well, with my crew "slick talk" is just part of the One Pocket game (I hear them all day long). Some of my favorites are....(after a missed shot where the guy was supposed to be OUT) "why the train left the station and you forgot your luggage"....(also) "everybody waving and the boat ain't going nowhere"....(after a guy makes all ball he was NOT aiming at) "the man shot at a duck and hit an ostrich, ostriches don't even fly"....(player complaining about "sharking" called "humbugging" in my room) "yea I'm humbugging you..I like you...I CHEAT everybody else"....one that I picked of from "Buggs" (not sure it was "his" but he was the first one I ever heard it from....after getting back to the table when you were not supposed to, WAY DOWN in the count but still alive) "sick don't mean DEAD".....After I have my second cup of coffee, I will add to the list.

JAM

Verified Member
When your opponent scratches, jump up from your perch and scream, "Man overboard," and proceed to the table quickly, without missing a beat. :lol

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Clearing your opponent's pocket of a number of balls... "givin' 'em the broom shot." I think Freddy calls this a fram. Fred, if that's correct where did that term come from?

Tom

8andout

Verified Member
we have to play for more than ten a game, or the house will win all the money.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Clearing your opponent's pocket of a number of balls... "givin' 'em the broom shot." I think Freddy calls this a fram. Fred, if that's correct where did that term come from?

Tom

I played a guy who after the shot said "looked like a jailbreak" :)
Rod.
P.S. After a guy jaws out an easy shot at his pocket, I tell him "yep if you're gonna play good one pocket, you have to be able to get those outta there"