One Pocket Racking Secret

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
Well many of you probably know this but I recently discovered (thru practice) a technique to help my break. I want to share this and ask for your comments.

Many sets of balls are used primarily for 9 ball. The one thru the 9 ball are worn and a little smaller with some minute imperfections. To get a better rack I put the stripe balls on the side of the rack I break from. This side stays tighter and seems to keep the corner ball from coming out to my opponents pocket.

What do you think? <iframe src="http://CueTable.com/P/Player/?@4ABik4BCpA4CEMO4DCpe4EFbe3FChe4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe3JFSe3KChC3LBKO3MDvO4NAcV3OBJl2PPFj4uBGM@" noresize="noresize" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="no" width="600" height="400" ></iframe>

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i beleive many players prefer a solid front 2 balls on the side they are breaking from to help in aiming.
im curious what others say

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Tennessee Joe6 said:
Well many of you probably know this but I recently discovered (thru practice) a technique to help my break. I want to share this and ask for your comments.

Many sets of balls are used primarily for 9 ball. The one thru the 9 ball are worn and a little smaller with some minute imperfections. To get a better rack I put the stripe balls on the side of the rack I break from. This side stays tighter and seems to keep the corner ball from coming out to my opponents pocket.

What do you think? <iframe src="http://CueTable.com/P/Player/?@4ABik4BCpA4CEMO4DCpe4EFbe3FChe4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe3JFSe3KChC3LBKO3MDvO4NAcV3OBJl2PPFj4uBGM@" noresize="noresize" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="no" width="600" height="400" ></iframe>

Makes a lot of sense to me. I usually put three stripes up front because larger balls freeze to each other better. I used to rack'em like you, but now put the brighter colors on each corner as I'm able to see them a little better. My first shot is usually at one of these.
Rod.
P.S. I believe, for your own protection that you rack'em tight for your opponent. ( most don't agree with this ) :eek:

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Been doing that for years. I use the 11 through the 15 in the apex (top three spots). Seems to be a bit easier to get them to freeze. Alot of the times I am racking as a referee for cash matches in my place. We are a "rack your own" house BUT these guys don't trust anybody, so I will come out and rack them. A few players insist on having the 1 (one) ball as the head ball, but most understand (after I explain it to them) why I rack the way I do.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
androd said:
Makes a lot of sense to me. I usually put three stripes up front because larger balls freeze to each other better. I used to rack'em like you, but now put the brighter colors on each corner as I'm able to see them a little better. My first shot is usually at one of these.
Rod.
P.S. I believe, for your own protection that you rack'em tight for your opponent. ( most don't agree with this ) :eek:

Are you saying you at least occasionally shoot a 14.1 style break at either the 10 or the five as TJ shows them racked? If so, do you ever shoot to bank one or the other to the head corner pocket?

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Let's talk about this, because it is important. Has anyone made a study of the problem with the corner ball coming out? My understanding is that any little gap in the row of five balls on the side the breaker hits causes the impact to take a different route to the corner ball, knocking it out in the wrong direction. Is that correct? If so, then is the second ball in the fourth layer also critical? Could it be that the front ball might be the least important of all? Give some input, folks. :eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
vapros said:
Let's talk about this, because it is important. Has anyone made a study of the problem with the corner ball coming out? My understanding is that any little gap in the row of five balls on the side the breaker hits causes the impact to take a different route to the corner ball, knocking it out in the wrong direction. Is that correct? If so, then is the second ball in the fourth layer also critical? Could it be that the front ball might be the least important of all? Give some input, folks. :eek:

In my opinion the reason the corner ball comes out is hitting too much of the 2nd ball. (most don't agree with this ) :D
Rod.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freeze it

Freeze it

vapros said:

All I know to do is make sure the corner ball is frozen and the 2 balls behind the head ball must also be frozen.

Beard

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cary said:
Are you saying you at least occasionally shoot a 14.1 style break at either the 10 or the five as TJ shows them racked? If so, do you ever shoot to bank one or the other to the head corner pocket?

No, I guess I didn't make myself clear. The reason for the brighter colored balls on the corners is that's what I'm usually shooting after my opponent breaks. :D
Rod.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Tennessee Joe6 said:

Joe,

I totally agree with this. This is something I also believe helps the balls freeze on the side I'm breaking from.

It is also a good thing to have the balls frozen on the other side of the rack to prevent the corner ball from going straight in the hole. (this is especially important if you are racking for your opponent.)

Dud

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
i beleive many players prefer a solid front 2 balls on the side they are breaking from to help in aiming.
im curious what others say
I never cared which balls were up front or anywhere else, I did like a tight rack just so I started from the same place everytime. Put the 8,2, and 6 balls up front, I don't care.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
What he said

What he said

Got to agree with Cowboy.After watching breaks in all the games,it seems to be more table dependant than ball dependant.Just my .02 but I can be re-arranged,cheers,B

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
THe size difference is only going to be 3 to 4 ten thousandth of an inch (if you are playing with the house common balls in a room that has been around for awhile). Im not speaking of a relatively new set of balls. Sets purchased at different times from different manufacturers there will be noticeable size differences.

$.03 cents

Maxwell

Verified Member
I once had the opportunity to play Monk fairly often and we would rack for each other. One time I was having trouble getting a tight rack and asked him if there was any way he liked the rack, if I couldn't get it tight everywhere. He growled "it doesn't matter with our game" and I still wasn't smart enough to quit him.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I like the thought you have on this.
There has to be some factor that makes the corner ball shoot out of the rack toward the opponents hole.
I have played all day before and it never happened once , I hit the head ball thin and a little thick at different times.
Playing another person, it pops out every rack.
Even when I know I hit the balls perfect.
If they are not doing something , then it has to be the minute size difference in the balls and they just rack them like that for "whatever" reason.

jay helfert

Verified Member
I'm paying attention. I might learn something here. :confused:
My problem the last few years is scratching in the corner off my break. I never used to do that. I'm doing something wrong, that's for sure.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
balls wear out!!!

balls wear out!!!

tonygreen said:
THe size difference is only going to be 3 to 4 ten thousandth of an inch (if you are playing with the house common balls in a room that has been around for awhile). Im not speaking of a relatively new set of balls. Sets purchased at different times from different manufacturers there will be noticeable size differences.

$.03 cents

Tony,

I work as a machinist and have brought my measuring tools to the pool hall before and .005" might be the tolerance held when new but balls are significantly smaller after some wear and tear.

The racks of centennials (all bought at the same time) I measured in my pool hall were as much as 20 or 30 thousanths of an inch smaller then the standard size. This is especially true in rooms that use a ball cleaner every night.

The cue balls were much more worn out then the object balls and the lower numbered balls were a little bit smaller then the higher numbered balls. (especially the one ball)

I think many would be really surprised to know that the size of the balls varies as much as a 1/32 of an inch fairly regularly.

Dud

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Billy Jackets said:
I like the thought you have on this.
There has to be some factor that makes the corner ball shoot out of the rack toward the opponents hole.
I have played all day before and it never happened once , I hit the head ball thin and a little thick at different times.
Playing another person, it pops out every rack.
Even when I know I hit the balls perfect.
If they are not doing something , then it has to be the minute size difference in the balls and they just rack them like that for "whatever" reason.

Check the rack on the side you are breaking from.... If the whole line of balls is frozen then that corner ball won't pop out towards your opponents pocket --->>unless you butcher the break. (assuming the rest of the rack is fairly tight)

Dud

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
half a thou....

half a thou....

....is just OK in this day and age for products from the factory.I will assume its a US factory where tolerances are usually,not always tighter.This applies to camshafts,bearings,pool balls,lengths of copper,aluminum etc. after machining and polishing Im thinking.Nice to know you brought your calipers and did this.I would assume Swiss dial calipers,maybe the Montoyo brand you keep in your trunk.A micometer would of course be a little lovely American overkill,but you are the man.I am surprised at the large differences brought on by time and handling.Must be a softer composition than one would think would be employed.It might be interesting to cyro a set but the expense would be prohibitive[sp] to most folks.Cloth,slate,air temp,humidity,hand oil etc.must also be considered but are mavericks in a scientific situation for the most part.Amazing things happen when a mind and cue encounter a table and balls.Viva la revolution and keep your powder dry,James

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Dudley said:
Tony,

I work as a machinist and have brought my measuring tools to the pool hall before and .005" might be the tolerance held when new but balls are significantly smaller after some wear and tear.

The racks of centennials (all bought at the same time) I measured in my pool hall were as much as 20 or 30 thousanths of an inch smaller then the standard size. This is especially true in rooms that use a ball cleaner every night.

The cue balls were much more worn out then the object balls and the lower numbered balls were a little bit smaller then the higher numbered balls. (especially the one ball)

I think many would be really surprised to know that the size of the balls varies as much as a 1/32 of an inch fairly regularly.

Dud
Thank you Dudley ... in my statement i was speaking of new sets vs old sets. To the players I say adjust to your conditions accordingly. In my room they own 4 sets of balls that a reserved for one-pocket and some players make a huge deal out of requesting to play with these four sets only (personally it's not a concern for me) So with the old sets of mixed and matched "common" balls i will begin to rack them with the heavier striped balls on my opponents side. As for the Belgian Aramith and the Centenials i will not be concerned with such raking.

much thanks