One Pocket HOF discussion thread

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I saw Johnny Irish in 1962 (or 1963?) sleeping on a bench in McGirrs, which was downstairs on 8th Avenue and 45th Street.
He was in a deep snooze and looked rumpled and worn out.
I didn't know who he was, at the time.
It was around noon and the tables were jammed with businessmen on their lunch hour break.
Almost everyone was dressed in a suit and tie.
A sharp looking guy in his mid-40's walked in and asked Cigar John, the houseman, "if there is anybody here who wants to play some $10 one-pocket".
He got on a table, practicing one hole by himself, and banked in everything he shot. Beautiful smooth stroke.
Cigar John motioned to somebody "to go over and wake up Irish."
Out of a deep sleep, with no warming up, Irish demolished the stranger in three straight games.
I can't remember the scores, but I doubt the stranger made more than one or two balls per game.
The stranger paid Irish and left. I don't know who he was, but I never saw him again.
Irish went back to his bench and fell asleep very quickly.
A couple of weeks later, I saw Irish dozing in Paddy's 7-11 wearing the same rumpled suit.
But I never saw him play again.

It surprises me that Johnny Ervolino is not already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame. He was one of the top guns in NYC during the '60's. As has been mentioned before, his best game was 14.1, but his 1-Pocket knowledge was extensive.
Also, let's not overlook his "action activities." There are some who accused him of "doing business" sometimes, and that may have hurt his reputation. Johnny "went away" for several years.
When he returned to society he was never the same player, although I did see him in the late 1980's run about 200 at the Golden-Q in Queens, playing Bob The Artist.
Ervolino was also a great commentator for 14.1 and 1-Pocket.
Nobody can ever forget his NYC accent and his raspy voice.
It was like rubbing two pieces of sandpaper together.

I'm also casting my vote for Marcel Camp, although I never saw him play. That may seem unreasonable to some of you, but I've heard enough about Camp from those whom I trust and respect to justify my vote.
thanks for sharing and voting

beatle

Verified Member
do you want to make someone like ervolino remembered as being great or for what he was he wasnt known for just doing business sometimes it was for the way he did things all the time to people that put trust in him.. there is more to being in a hall of fame than just playing ability or it loses its respect for being a h.o.f. without standards.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You can vote for as many as you think deserve it.
But last year if my memory serves me correctly, we had a deceased player honored, with their son there. Metz I believe.
Lifetime Pool in Action; Awarded and Honored
And a One Pocket player; Awarded and Honored.

As I understand it, we are only voting for one player to get into the HOF, but can vote for as many players as a guy wants.

So how are the Lifetime Pool in Action decided, and past player (deceased?) decided, that obviously were honored last year.

As of right now we have Ervolino and Camp neck and neck, so does that have any possibility of being honored?
Scott is clearly the front runner.

Apologies for all the questions, but not sure where to find the answers. Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
But last year if my memory serves me correctly, we had a deceased player honored, with their son there. Metz I believe.
Lifetime Pool in Action; Awarded and Honored
And a One Pocket player; Awarded and Honored.

As I understand it, we are only voting for one player to get into the HOF, but can vote for as many players as a guy wants.

So how are the Lifetime Pool in Action decided, and past player (deceased?) decided, that obviously were honored last year.

As of right now we have Ervolino and Camp neck and neck, so does that have any possibility of being honored?
Scott is clearly the front runner.

Apologies for all the questions, but not sure where to find the answers. Whitey

The only guarantee is that one player will be honored each year. If we get sufficient votes for a particular deceased player or player also, then we would add the deceased player. I am looking for a deceased player's name on a sufficient threshold of ballots.

The Lifetime Pool in Action award is not selected by the membership at large -- I consult a small group that I consider to be my informal "board of directors" for the HOF, and I make the final decision based on that input. The lifetime award is particularly intended to honor a living person, but we did extend the honor to a very recently deceased player (Wade Crane) one year.

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
I'm only 40, so i obviously never saw Irish play, but about 15 years ago I played an older black guy in Queens named Skeeter Hawk who swore that Irish and Efren were the best all-around players he had ever seen, and he had been around at the time of 7/11 and Ames.

Ervolino was hanging around in Commack, Long Island in the early 2000s and ran over 300 balls playing straight pool when he was well into his 60s. Shady character or not, he was a monster on the pool table.

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
I also have to put in a good word for Jafar Basheer aka Patch Eye aka One-Eyed Henry. He played well into his 70s and 80s every day in Philadelphia, and even though his skills had clearly diminished by then, he was still a strong one pocket player. he would play anyone $20 a game even, and I learned a lot by playing with him. A very respectful guy, who couldn't help but command respect because he was such a gentleman to play and gamble with.

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
His name is not well known, as I imagine he preferred to be under the radar all his life, but every black player I ever came across mentioned Nate Colbert as the strongest black one pocket player next to Bugs ... Patch Eye, Marvin Henderson, Strawberry, Bus Driver Ronnie, and Cecil Tugwell included. I think he was mentioned in several of Steve's one pocket interviews from 10 years ago, including Freddie's.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
His name is not well known, as I imagine he preferred to be under the radar all his life, but every black player I ever came across mentioned Nate Colbert as the strongest black one pocket player next to Bugs ... Patch Eye, Marvin Henderson, Strawberry, Bus Driver Ronnie, and Cecil Tugwell included. I think he was mentioned in several of Steve's one pocket interviews from 10 years ago, including Freddie's.

You are right -- Nate's name comes up in about every thorough conversation with players of his generation -- and not just among black players. He got around quite a bit apparently.

bondsman

It sure is, Bill. And I knew that, but spaced it. I think on my old DVD of an Ogburn/Breit match his name was listed as "Osborne".

~Doc
You are right that the case said that but i wrong i know i'm very well and his name Ogburn. Is alive and well living in brunswick georgia and deserves to be in a hall of fame because he made a lot of those who have already been selectedo?.o

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
This man deserves the Lifetime Achievement Award for bringing one pocket (60 years)to all of California. For teaching players all of his life how to play one pocket. (he continues to teach today) For continuing to promote one pocket tournaments and for publishing a “pool magazine” many, many years on his own dime. He has played at a high level of one pocket for sixty years playing players of all caliber. He continues to win the monthly one pocket tournaments or wins the hot seat and loses first after sitting hours at a time. This is a very tough room, Sacramento. For bringing class and honor to the game of one pocket. For originality promoting the Super Seniors One Pocket which has now morphed into the Seniors tournament in Houston. He also makes sure that the One Pocket poster is made every year co-ordinating the photos of players. Still at a senior age plays at a high level of one pocket. Who has played Black Bart, Bob Ogden, all the Senior One Pocket players that are being considered. He was the representative of OPORG to the US Open OP Championship and finished 7-8th. His road partners, San Jose Dick, Ronnie Allen, Kentucky Bill (Actually a Black Mark). One Pocket Dot Orgs own JOHN ‘GENTLEMAN JOHN’ HENDERSON. aka JR Henry. Although a West Coast player of One Pocket, forget the East Coast bias for him. For deceased player, John Ervolino

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
This man deserves the Lifetime Achievement Award for bringing one pocket (60 years)to all of California. For teaching players all of his life how to play one pocket. (he continues to teach today) For continuing to promote one pocket tournaments and for publishing a “pool magazine” many, many years on his own dime. He has played at a high level of one pocket for sixty years playing players of all caliber. He continues to win the monthly one pocket tournaments or wins the hot seat and loses first after sitting hours at a time. This is a very tough room, Sacramento. For bringing class and honor to the game of one pocket. For originality promoting the Super Seniors One Pocket which has now morphed into the Seniors tournament in Houston. He also makes sure that the One Pocket poster is made every year co-ordinating the photos of players. Still at a senior age plays at a high level of one pocket. Who has played Black Bart, Bob Ogden, all the Senior One Pocket players that are being considered. He was the representative of OPORG to the US Open OP Championship and finished 7-8th. His road partners, San Jose Dick, Ronnie Allen, Kentucky Bill (Actually a Black Mark). One Pocket Dot Orgs own JOHN ‘GENTLEMAN JOHN’ HENDERSON. aka JR Henry. Although a West Coast player of One Pocket, forget the East Coast bias for him. For deceased player, John Ervolino

When Black Bart visited Grady Matthews in his pool room, on the corner of Platte and Union in Colorado Springs, early seventies, he only wanted to play Grady 9 ball, he wanted nothing to do with em in one pocket. He even brought with em, the first Red Circle cue ball I ever saw. He offered Grady a game on the wire, 9 ball race to 11, and the Grady gurgle, laughingly said no.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
When Black Bart visited Grady Matthews in his pool room, on the corner of Platte and Union in Colorado Springs, early seventies, he only wanted to play Grady 9 ball, he wanted nothing to do with em in one pocket. He even brought with em, the first Red Circle cue ball I ever saw. He offered Grady a game on the wire, 9 ball race to 11, and the Grady gurgle, laughingly said no.

John played Grady in Mesa. Az. There was a great deli almost right across the street. We ate there for breakfast everyday. During the match, I went to an Arizona cactus farm. They have been there for years and had some cactus that were over 100 years old. After the match, dinner. After dinner, about 10 pm, it was still close to 100 degrees. Grady wasn’t his best self for the match, he got into a bad match before he played John the day before.

bstroud

Verified Member
I spent a few weeks around Camp. like Fats he had a lot of very funny stories. He knew one pocket inside out and played great !
I saw a guy ask him for $20 bucks, he said sorry I've only got $860 I need $20 myself because I like Loyola tonight getting 6 points.
In Macon Beanie offered him 9/8 because he'd gained a lot of weight, Beanie went out to his car for his cue, Camp came over and bit Tex for $20 bucks, offered his watch, Tex didn't take it.
Camp said I've got $180 and want to have even money.
Stanton came back, put his cue together and said $100 OK ?
Camp said AW $200's good, Camp won the 1st 9 games, then 10 of 11 even up.
1963/64 Macon Ga, at the truck stop there.

Rod,

I guess I was in Macon with Taylor at the same time.
Played Camp some paywall on the back snooker table.

I like Camp for the nomination. I think he deserves it.

Bill Stroud

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
As far as I know, Alex first "came out" in One Pocket in about 2001. He actually won a small One Pocket tournament in Massachusetts in 2001. I remember it well, because he beat me in the finals lol.

Corey Deuel is another one who will be a good candidate. I have him as first "coming out" in One Pocket in 2000 at Grady's One Pocket tournament in Portland ME. That tournament had a very good field. Corey used the "8-ball break" in that tournament, which was kind of a joke, but he actually did OK in the tournament. It was always my opinion that at the time, he didn't really want people to know how serious he was about One Pocket, and the the 8-ball break was good for that :D:D

I found this a listing of alex's wins in 2000

PAYOUT RANK TOURNAMENT
$6667 1 Molson Cup 10-Ball Championship 2000
$4700 2 One Pocket Championship of the World 2000
$4400 2 Lexington All-Star Championships
$1461 3 Northern Lights 9-Ball Shootout
$3700 3 Sands Regency Reno Open December 2000
$3500 9 Victor Chandler WPA World Pool Championship 2000
$1200 33 Camel Pro 8-Ball Championship 2000
$1000 33 US Open 9-Ball Championship 2000
Total Earnings
$26,628.00

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
New Dark Green Volvo Station wagon, Burlington IA, Courtney Coffee event, promoter stiffed the players, cept Rempe got knocked out early, and the gate mistakenly cashed the check.

Searcy, Bob O. Mataya and another playing ring 10 ball, along the HUMID Mississippi river delta, 1972.

Bob hocked his NEW dark green Volvo wagon for about $3,000 and ended up not losing it. Mataya took a 8 hour break, from the all night/day ring game, came back and busted the worn out player group.

Proceeded on to Beanies place. Watched St. Louie Louie empty out down to his jewelry against Carella. Louie won that set and busted Mike.

I also had to stop before Bean/Devalle's room. Got a hotel, pulled the engine head, and had it rebuilt on the way. Machine shop was next to hotel, had the head back the next day and kept on headin' east. Falcon coupe with a 140ci inline 6. $100 to have the head milled and $40 for the room. Not a bad turn around in 24hrs. I had just won $2,000 on Vegas before I got to Iowa.

Having driven (still do now) Volvos since late 80's, that Green VOLVO wagon could sleep a tall man like Bob, I've done it many times ,yrs ago in my red 245.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
You are right -- Nate's name comes up in about every thorough conversation with players of his generation -- and not just among black players. He got around quite a bit apparently.

When I first started playing 1P in Atlanta in 2015 I was playing some with Nate Coltrane, I knew he was a much better player than me but I had no idea he played that well. Unfortunately, for me he was banned from the pool hall and I have not seen him since.