One pocket ghost prop?

bstroud

Verified Member
Since I seldom have anyone to play with I have been playing the 10 ball ghost prop a lot. Race to 10.
No ball on the break you lose.
Scratch on the break you lose.
Miss and you lose.
10 on the break spots.

Seems too easy.

What is the number for the one pocket ghost prop? Five breaks.

Thanks,

Bill S.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Since I seldom have anyone to play with I have been playing the 10 ball ghost prop a lot. Race to 10.
No ball on the break you lose.
Scratch on the break you lose.
Miss and you lose.
10 on the break spots.

Seems too easy.

What is the number for the one pocket ghost prop? Five breaks.

Thanks,

Bill S.

Bill; In Detroit, when al the action first started up at the "Rack," Mike Carella used to bet on this prop. He was the BEST I've ever seen it, I think the number He used to bet on was over, 30 or 35, NOT sure. Maybe Dr. Bill can remember, I do know this, He won a ton of money with a HIGH number!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I believe it was Steve who reported that Helfert or someone was having a 1P Ghost competition at the DCC for several years in a row. Evidently Gabe Owen had the highest score by making a 60 in five racks. No one else was close.:cool:

Perhaps someone could verify.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
just to be sure
how do you play onepocket ghost??
i assume you break (is there a prefered way to break for this prop??)
get ball in hand
and run as many balls to one pocket
is that correct??

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
just to be sure
get ball in hand
is that correct??

No ball in hand.
Rod.
P.S. When we gamble on it.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Seems like one of the straight pool players like John Schmidt would fare best - they basically shoot every ball into the bottom two pockets, anyhow. Still, with Gabe getting 60 of 75, that's pretty tough!

bstroud

Verified Member
just to be sure
get ball in hand
is that correct??

No ball in hand.
The break is the hardest part.

Tried a few racks today.
Mostly 5 and 6 but a few tens.
Looks like it will take a little while to get the break down and find the right rhythm for this proposition.

Bill S.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Let me ask a question, what if a player runs ALL 15 balls in the rack. Do they start to spot balls up on the spot in a line?

And does anyone know, what are the MOST balls run in ONE inning?

The year Harold Worst was at "Jonhston City," He shot the prop, He had the highest, with 28!

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Pro's on Diamond tables have a hard time beating a "you lose if you don't make a ball on the break" 10 ball ghost. Easy tables a top pro is a big favorite in the usual ghost game where you get ball in hand after the break.

Gabe making 60 or 62 balls in five tries might hold up for quite a long time for the one pocket ghost. You have to be quite a player to bet you could to half of that on average.

I've never heard of the ghost being played with a chance to run more balls if you run 15. The guy who wrote the "Wagon Wheel" booklet for pool mentioned a game where you got a new break if you ran them all, but it is different from the gamblers version.

Not so passive brag time...I ran 23 one time. First rack had a dead ball that let me open them up and let a bum like me have a decent run.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

tylerdurden

Verified Member
This prop pops up in the west coast every couple years or so and seems to get a little hot. When efren was in town years ago shooting at 40 the game was being played by many in the weeks after. It is messed up because strong strong players were shooting at 25 or so, like one guy who made it to the finals of the us open 9ball was shooting at ~25, that'll tell you how strong efren's 40 was.

For strong shooters, the whole thing is the 0's. If they get froze to a ball off the break, and get a 0, it's over. It's easy to get doubled up without a shot too. I saw efren purposefully scratching on the break to avoid this, the other guy allowed it but he owed one, but i am sure that rules varies.

The break is interesting. I have seen it done about 10 or so different ways. No one way is kinda proven right yet it seems cus it doesnt get played enough. The guys shooting at higher numbers have to take a little more of a chance and bust em open a little more of course.

Wayne

Verified Member
I believe it was Steve who reported that Helfert or someone was having a 1P Ghost competition at the DCC for several years in a row. Evidently Gabe Owen had the highest score by making a 60 in five racks. No one else was close.:cool:

Perhaps someone could verify.

~Doc

Gabe 60
Mika 47
Alex 46
Alex and John Schmidt 45

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Jay and I did the One Pocket Ghost the last year the DCC was at the Executive West in Louisville.

We shared the room with Bob Jewett doing the straight pool challenge. After we saw how tough the tables were playing for the ghost Greg Sullivan offered $500 out of his pocket for the first person making 50.

Well don't you know, the last night of it Bob wants to shut down the room early (I think he was a little upset because we kind of took over the room and more people were interested in the one pocket ghost than the straight pool and I can't blame him because he always puts up a lot of money out of his own pocket for it) so we had to finish somewhere else because we had about 5 more players paid to give it a try. We had two choices, the AZ/OP room or the TV table. Jay wanted the TV table because there was more room and I wanted the AZ/OP room because the table was tougher like the ones it was already done on.

For the people that don't know, the TV table always plays easier than any of the tournament tables because the cloth is always the newest, it's always the cleanest table, the balls are always the cleanest and it's always dry from the lights so balls roll better and slide easier into the pockets.

Anyway, after a little bickering between us we go to the TV table and Gabe is first up and don't you know the balls just open up beautiful each break and he pops off a 60. The other few guys all get in the 30's and there's a 40 something thrown in and we're all done with it except for the shit the next day.

Gabe wants the $500 Greg offered and Jay wants to give it to him and I said no, it was an offer on the other tables because they were tougher than the TV table. We get with Greg the next day and explain everything and he agreed with me about it being for the other tables but he paid Gabe the $500 anyway. Gabe was relentless all day about it, "Did you see Greg?, did you see Greg?, did you see Greg?". He was acting like it was a matter of life and death. The more he asked, the more I was hoping Greg would agree with me and not give it to him but he almost had to, just not to look bad.

So now, everybody else is mad because they didn't get to play it on the TV table and have a better shot at the money, Mika and John being the most vocal, My buddy Alex didn't care either way, that's why he's so well liked.

I go to Greg and tell him what's going on and ask if I can use the table that night and he says whatever you want to do go ahead. I tell the top 5 players to meet that night and they can all take a shot on the TV table and the top score gets $500. This didn't include Gabe. The money came out of my pocket because I was involved and it didn't sit right with me how everything happened.

The guys appreciated what I did, they took their turns and made a couple of savers (lol) and the crowd enjoyed it. So in the end everybody was happy except Greg and I, lol.

That's the whole story about it. Make no mistake, the 60 he shot was incredible and I really thought it was going to be more than that because he actually got a couple of bad rolls where he could have got more but if everyone was playing on that table there would have been a few 60's because of the talent that was there.

bstroud

Verified Member
I remember at Johnson City players were playing the preposition going to 20 and few if any could win.

On my Diamond Pro it looks like 30-40 might be a reasonable place to start. Shows how much easier the fast equipment is to play on.

I will give it a try and report back.

Perhaps it's just my Diamond Pro but I make one or two balls consistently on the 10 ball break. The secret I have found is to just make sure you never hook yourself and always approach the next ball from the proper direction. When shape is too tricky put the cue ball in the center of the table and take a harder shot.

Thanks for all the input.

Bill S.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Jay and I did the One Pocket Ghost the last year the DCC was at the Executive West in Louisville.

We shared the room with Bob Jewett doing the straight pool challenge. After we saw how tough the tables were playing for the ghost Greg Sullivan offered $500 out of his pocket for the first person making 50.

Well don't you know, the last night of it Bob wants to shut down the room early (I think he was a little upset because we kind of took over the room and more people were interested in the one pocket ghost than the straight pool and I can't blame him because he always puts up a lot of money out of his own pocket for it) so we had to finish somewhere else because we had about 5 more players paid to give it a try. We had two choices, the AZ/OP room or the TV table. Jay wanted the TV table because there was more room and I wanted the AZ/OP room because the table was tougher like the ones it was already done on.

For the people that don't know, the TV table always plays easier than any of the tournament tables because the cloth is always the newest, it's always the cleanest table, the balls are always the cleanest and it's always dry from the lights so balls roll better and slide easier into the pockets.

Anyway, after a little bickering between us we go to the TV table and Gabe is first up and don't you know the balls just open up beautiful each break and he pops off a 60. The other few guys all get in the 30's and there's a 40 something thrown in and we're all done with it except for the shit the next day.

Gabe wants the $500 Greg offered and Jay wants to give it to him and I said no, it was an offer on the other tables because they were tougher than the TV table. We get with Greg the next day and explain everything and he agreed with me about it being for the other tables but he paid Gabe the $500 anyway. Gabe was relentless all day about it, "Did you see Greg?, did you see Greg?, did you see Greg?". He was acting like it was a matter of life and death. The more he asked, the more I was hoping Greg would agree with me and not give it to him but he almost had to, just not to look bad.

So now, everybody else is mad because they didn't get to play it on the TV table and have a better shot at the money, Mika and John being the most vocal, My buddy Alex didn't care either way, that's why he's so well liked.

I go to Greg and tell him what's going on and ask if I can use the table that night and he says whatever you want to do go ahead. I tell the top 5 players to meet that night and they can all take a shot on the TV table and the top score gets $500. This didn't include Gabe. The money came out of my pocket because I was involved and it didn't sit right with me how everything happened.

The guys appreciated what I did, they took their turns and made a couple of savers (lol) and the crowd enjoyed it. So in the end everybody was happy except Greg and I, lol.

That's the whole story about it. Make no mistake, the 60 he shot was incredible and I really thought it was going to be more than that because he actually got a couple of bad rolls where he could have got more but if everyone was playing on that table there would have been a few 60's because of the talent that was there.

Interesting story. And a nice, clear encapsulation of why the higher level tournament scene is struggling.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
So, Gabe ran the 50, and that was the proposition, and nobody told him anything in the interim when they were changing tables?

bstroud

Verified Member
Steve,

I like the proposition.

If you, Jay or Greg are interested I would put up 1K for a like contest at the DCC this year.

Perhaps make it 100.00 entry and all money plus the 1K go to the prize fund.

Bill S.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
So, Gabe ran the 50, and that was the proposition, and nobody told him anything in the interim when they were changing tables?

My thought exactly. In my opinion, there could be no question about whether he should have been paid unless the prop was cancelled on the move.

Somebody who realized the change in conditions that would occur should have acted to protect Greg.

Last edited: