One Pocket/8 ball

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I've been using the one pocket thought process allot more in 8 ball this past weekend. It makes one realize, how difficult/important good table management is when one plays 8 ball on a tight 7' bar table (it's actually a great game because of this aspect). It' similar in thought process to one pocket when racks are not runnable....one has too process and realize, there are sooooo many other factors that come into play. Of all the games, one pocket and advanced play 8 ball on a tight 7 footer have allot in common. 20 minute games happen often in 8 ball with good players.

unoperro

Verified Member
I've been using the one pocket thought process allot more in 8 ball this past weekend. It makes one realize, how difficult/important good table management is when one plays 8 ball on a tight 7' bar table (it's actually a great game because of this aspect). It' similar in thought process to one pocket when racks are not runnable....one has too process and realize, there are sooooo many other factors that come into play. Of all the games, one pocket and advanced play 8 ball on a tight 7 footer have allot in common. 20 minute games happen often in 8 ball with good players.
No they dont😉

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
when I first saw this post, I thought you were going to say you should play a new game of one pocket whereas all the same rules apply in one hole but the first ball you make in your pocket, that's what you have (solids or stripes) - 8 ball is neutral - you can still hit any ball first but the ball only counts as a scoring ball in your pocket if its the correct type. Otherwise it;s spotted and take a seat. Now that may be fun hehe...

Erik

From
Lancaster, PA
I agree with this. I started playing in a local 8-ball league on 7 footers a few months before the pandemic started. There are so many skills from one pocket that are helpful playing 8ball on a small table: good cue ball, going into balls/breaking up clusters, and banking to name a few. And yea sometimes the games can last a while if there are some unusual tie ups, in which case its helpful if you're accustomed to thinking a few moves ahead.

I think Saratoga (8 ball where you play your colors in numerical order) is a good game for one pocket players as well. I've only played it on a big table, but it also requires a degree of table management and safety play that is a level above regular 8 ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I believe Artie has opined that, after one-pocket, 8-ball is the best pool game. In my view 8-ball is a much fairer game than is any rotation game. Less luck involved, call shot, safeties, etc.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I agree with Bill M., in order to win an eight ball game that most would consider lost, one has to use smarts and safeties to turn that lost game into a win. There are a lot of things in eight ball and one pocket that go hand in hand.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I happen to play a lot of 8 ball on tight 7 ft tables with some pretty good players. Tonight is our weekly neighborhood 5 dollar game. We have three tables with 4-1/8 inch pockets and extended rails within a mile of my house and I live in the country. Very handy. My game has improved through one pocket.
Safeties and breakout play in bar table pool has improved greatly since my one pocket journey started. Just need to practice my jump shots more...lol...

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I haven't played 8 ball since 2009, but I have to imagine I would play it better than I did. I have played one pocket and a couple years of straight pool in that time. whoops... i did play 2 leagues sessions on 9 footers.