One Player Up Rule

El Chapo

Verified Member
I think there should be a rule in pool that firmly states nonshooter is required to do two things. 1) sit in chair 2) shut mouth

The sitting in the chair does not even have to be taken literally. As long as he is obviously off on the sidelines.

The more important point is about keeping quite though via gripes or rulings when it is not your shot. Let's just look at an example to make that clear. One player is not happy with how the guy is racking... well, too bad, not your shot sit down and shut up. When it is your turn then you would have a chance to call over a ref and tell him the gripe you have about the racking. But not during his shot.

This is really a bigger deal than you think at first glance. Tournaments get held up and all sorts of BS goes on because nonshooting players are allowed to interject when it is not their. Now if there is a potential foul or something then of course player dan jump out of his chair and speak as he thinks it is his inning at that point.

It is so simple too, not your shot and no griping or complaining about anything. It is so obvious players take advantage of this by stalling guys out and complaining about things like the rack or a ruling when it is their opponent's shot. Should be in the rules this is a loss of game. This would make everything go smoother and it would make matches go faster too.

beatle

Verified Member
tournaments get held up because of tournament directors with no guts. all they have to do is tell those that stall or make the tournament less fun to play faster or get out.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think there should be a rule in pool that firmly states nonshooter is required to do two things. 1) sit in chair 2) shut mouth

The sitting in the chair does not even have to be taken literally. As long as he is obviously off on the sidelines.

Toughen up young man :)

Jim McCary

Verified Member
I agree with El Chappo. When it is not your turn, it is just good manners to to sit still and be quiet.

Jim Mc

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

The Canteen Mgr. at the local VFW thinks he's an 'expert' about most everything.
He also considers me to be his biggest threat on the table or so it seems. We
don't have regular seating near the tables so standing is OK, But I draw the line
when he interrupts my pre-shot routine to ask me why I'd selected the
shot I'm fixin' to shoot. :eek: , :rolleyes: , :frus:frus:frus:frus

hank

beatle

Verified Member
every body ,,, re- read rod's post a few times and let it sink in.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
"sharking" is a part of the pool room unfortunately...

As mentioned in this thread and the other, it just happens, you can't control it and you will ultimately just have to be able to perform with distractions, it's the same for all of us!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
TEN COMMANDMENTS OF MATCH PLAY SPORTSMANSHIP & PROPER ETIQUETTE
Guidelines;
During a match, I will: Play the match with sportsmanship, and treat my opponent courteously and with respect at all times.
1. Clearly communicate, and not intentionally deceive, distract or interfere with the opponent's play,
2. as the shooter: not open up an unwanted verbal discourse with or about my opponent,
3. not intentionally play at a slow pace that can be construed as: "Slow Playing my Opponent",
4. not intentionally quickly shoot a shot in an effort to not allow my opponent an inquiry,
5. as the opponent: remove myself from the confines of the playing area, and sit in the seat provided,
6. not stand in the line of sight of the shooter,
7. not chatter loud enough so as to be heard by my shooting opponent,
8. only call for a referee on questionable shots, and not as a means to throw off my opponent,
9. remove my chalk from the table, unless it is agreed to play with more than one piece of chalk,
10. pay attention to the match, only approach the table on appropriate inquiries.

As the Event Administrative Authority, we want your experience when participating in our event to be enjoyable. These guidelines in and of themselves are not fouls, but do fall under the auspice of players conduct. Therefore, if the match is not played appropriately, the Event Administrative Authority and/or the Referee has the discretion to reprimand the offending player or players accordingly. Whitey
-------------------------
This is something that tournaments could adopt. It is wrote in this fashion for its simplicity and so it can be framed and hanged up within the tournament room so the players can be aware of it. I play in bcapl western regional, and I wrote up something similar to this, and they adopted it. Unfortunately they never retained it upon their website, so it is virtually lost over time. But lets face it, most of their players come straight out of the bars and have not a clue about proper etiquette.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
when gambling i break every single one of those. most on purpose

beatle

Verified Member
when gambling i break every single one of those. except 3 as i want games to go fast. most on purpose

El Chapo

Verified Member
Sharking, or "toughening up" is completely beside the point. Irrelevant.

No matter how much I toughen up, or don't, I still think it would be a good rule that would both hasten play and lessen the ability of opponents to control a match with something other than actual pool skills (something we should all obviously be in favor of quite frankly).

Let me know how many times an in the chair opponent holds up the next rack your own 9 ball tournament you watch complaining about the rack.

Pool players do not seem to understand a very simple concept... this is pool, people practice for dozens of hours so there are good players, you are gonna need to learn to sit in the chair and stfu when losing multiple games in a row. Just because a player is losing games and essentially can't do anything about it... should not mean he can now.... do something about it and stall the match with his mouth.

The option to mouth off and purposefully stall a tournament is still open, so please nobody feel left out. You would just be compelled to do it during your own shot.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
I grew up playing pool in tough parts of LA. I learned to keep my mouth shut and play. However, I often ran into sharking quite a bit. Sometimes sharking works in the opposite direction.......back at you. Earl sharks but I've seen it come back at him in some horrible loses such as his infamous race to 125 against Efren. I think he was ahead 110/90 and lost that match. When he started his downslide, he was as quiet as a church mouse.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I grew up playing pool in tough parts of LA. I learned to keep my mouth shut and play. However, I often ran into sharking quite a bit. Sometimes sharking works in the opposite direction.......back at you. Earl sharks but I've seen it come back at him in some horrible loses such as his infamous race to 125 against Efren. I think he was ahead 110/90 and lost that match. When he started his downslide, he was as quiet as a church mouse.

Jerry, if you recall Efren took a break at that point and headed off with this little fellow, and when he came back he was a totally different player and not the down and beaten player, but a very real energized hype up player. That was some good drugs, IMO. Earl was the better straight player!

I hated that part of their epic battle!

But, as far as the Ten Commandments of proper conduct, I wrote line 2. with Earl in mind.
2. as the shooter: I will not open up an unwanted verbal discourse with or about my opponent! Whitey

beatle

Verified Member
you have to live with sharking in all forms of gambling. if you cant you become the sucker.

and a certain amount of sharking is acceptable but crossing the line gets bad. but if you dont like what your opponent does just quit him that is your right.
it it tilts you then it works and you become the sucker.

after all when gambling you are trying to use all your skills to win the opponents money. not just your playing skills as some might want it to be that way. but it isnt that way. that is what regulated tournaments are for.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
on a side note about sharking, it's kinda funny but even though I know my opponents will sometime shark me or try to, I honestly really try not to!

Like if an opponent is shooting a shot towards his pocket, I get up and move away so I am not in his line of sight.

In fact, when I am not quick enough to move or I find myself in their vision, I try to be real still and not move because I don't want to even move my little finger and have them miss and think I sharked them, lol..

while on the other hand, sometimes they are in my vision having a conversation with a buddy and moving their arms all around like I am not even trying to concentrate on a shot...

sad but true, maybe I am too honest? :)

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
sharking or getting in the mind of your opponent is a part of every competition know to ma. This said if you dont like how some one acts and it bothers you don't play them or learn to deal with it. Learning to deal with distraction is what this game is all about

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
We have went up and down the road on this subject many times, and I usually keep quiet.
This time I am not.
Sharks, slicks , movers ,are all low lives . !
They ruin the game for anyone who has any morals, or even a modicum, of self respect and decency.
Playing against them, and giving them any leeway at all , just propagates the behavior to anyone watching, or just beginning in pool, and spawns another pile of human trash, to deal with.
Would you want the first thing every new player to learn, is how to shit mickey somebody? Probably you?
The bottom line to me, is where is the bottom line?

For all you unsharkable guys , you aren't.
I have seen some of the greatest players ever, get sharked clear out of their shoes, so just cut the bs.
The reason you don't get sharked, is because you are corpse killers, you would never dream of playing anyone with a tooth in their head to bite back , because you are too "smart" {chicken shit} for that.
Lets say any of you, and I, are playing a game for serious money, you play a little better than me.
So you figure, if you rattle me on a couple of key shots , you are pretty well assured of the win.
Maybe just a cup move in my line of sight, at just the right moment or something as innocuous as that.
What you didn't figure on, is that I am sick to death of clowns, I don't care any more what anybody thinks, and I will do whatever it takes to beat you.
Anything!
So, while you are on level 1 of sharking , passing a cup, up to having a friend bump me {accidentally} in my shooting wrist.
i have jumped to level 10.
My old prison buddy has your wife or kids at the end of a double barrel shotgun in the basement.
If the score ever gets to you needing to make the game ball , I let you in on the secret.
Now, before you start pumping out your chests and splathering all over the place about what you would do , 99% of you would do nothing, because you aren't one of the selfish turds that does the other crap.
Other people matter to you .
So, what I am trying to say is , when we, the players of this game , allow the scum, to dictate what the rules or lack of rules are , either by smiling and saying that's part of the game , or ignoring it because we aren't affected directly{everyone is , they just don't admit it } or whatever reasons you come up with.
We are spreading the disease.
It matters very little to me at this point in my pool life.
I barely play any more and I am 70 and getting in worse shape every day.
But ,I remember how much fun this game can be, and I met a lot of great people through pool.
It is just that 1 in a thousand guy , that makes the game a shit show.
They almost always end up dead by 35, or in jail for forever , but the damage they do in a short time is ridiculous, and should never be allowed by anyone who cares anything about this game, other than to try to make a quick buck from it, feeding on carrion.
So, when you wink an eye or turn your head when you see someone pull a cheap move, you just became an accomplice!
like I said before , where doe's it end?
Is it a chalk drop perfectly timed, or a bump or aggravation from a "stranger" or something in your drink? a guy at your home?
They are all possible and more, think about that the next time you "pass".
Most of us are old and our ass kicking days are over, but I have seen the power of a handfull of good customers who tell the room owner someone is ruining the fun they are paying for.
At least it's worth a try.