One last Dcc action report - ( onepocket.org version )

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Well, first off let me say that I had the pleasure of meeting several of the posters both from this site and from Steve Booths great onepocket.org site - wish I would have met more - and I was looking forward to meeting JAM and was sorry that she couldn't be there...JAM, you've given all of us action reports from a lot of tournaments that you were at and we weren't, so now we have a chance to return the favor - and Hondo, I didn't know that you were going to be there or I would have made a point to hustle, er, I mean meet you ^_^

There were a whole lot of DCC match-ups that I was going to give reports on, but many of our AZ brothers like Fred Agnir, sweatinNbettin, nfty9er, and others have already done a great job posting about most of these sessions....The biggest/$$$ sessions have already been reported on, but there's a few smaller/$$ sessions that I can maybe add to the list - I might get a detail wrong, so don't kill me if I do.....

Chris from Chicago ( plays real sporty 1pocket, but a lot of people don't know him cuz he's always playing poker instead of pool ) beat Durbin 2 nights in a row playing even 1pocket for several K....Eric came to chicago last spring to play Chris, and Chris busted him there too.

Jet the black bank pool player, also from Chicago, played Tony Chohan even banks for several K....Tony won.........Jet also cried/scammed his way into getting Jason Miller to giving him one-hit-and-the-pick in banks - I don't know how it turned out.

Jamie Farrel gave Ike the 8 playing 9ball.....Ike won 2 sets for a total of 1 K

On two different days Steve Booth and myself were playing $30 1pocket ( we attracted no sweaters to our game ) ....Since both Steve and myself are still undercover, I'm not saying how we were playing, or who got the cheese ^_^

Well, I think that all of you hard core/degenerate-gambler addicted/beyond after hours sessions, lovers of pool room gambling, like myself will enjoy visualizing my final report....and I don't know what the match-up was, or for how much, and it doesn't matter.......

.......After 9 days at the DCC, it's 1:00 Sunday afternoon and I'm getting into my car to drive home...I decide to pull up in front of the hotel lobby to run in and take a last pre-nostalgic look around and to grab a cheese danish for the road. The tournament room is locked up, everybodys gone, all of the players have checked out, and the vendor hallway is empty/deserted. Well, I glance in the action room and they haven't dismantled the tables yet. There's about 10 unknown guys sitting around, probably locals who don't have to travel home, and what are they watching....Scott Frost and Mika Immonen are playing each other on one of the tables....What a beautiful sight....I can't wait till next year.....

Last edited:

lucky13

on Mika and Frost

on Mika and Frost

Wow! You have to wonder how these guys do it. I was at DCC all day Saturday, and well into the morning. With it being the final day(and night) I was reluctant to leave as were many others. So, I toughed it out until 5 a.m.
Anyway, when I left Frost and Dueul were still in the middle of an intense match of one pocket. They had started playing around 11 o'clock or so. Someone said they were playing nine ahead, and I believe 9-7 was the spot. I'm not sure what kind of money was involved.
They really do play around the clock. Theres always a game going on. So, when do they sleep???
Thanks for sharing that I'll have to check around and see if anyone knows the results!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lucky13 said:
Wow! You have to wonder how these guys do it. I was at DCC all day Saturday, and well into the morning. With it being the final day(and night) I was reluctant to leave as were many others. So, I toughed it out until 5 a.m.
Anyway, when I left Frost and Dueul were still in the middle of an intense match of one pocket. They had started playing around 11 o'clock or so. Someone said they were playing nine ahead, and I believe 9-7 was the spot. I'm not sure what kind of money was involved.
They really do play around the clock. Theres always a game going on. So, when do they sleep???
Thanks for sharing that I'll have to check around and see if anyone knows the results!
And it wasn't just the young guys, Teddy the Greek was up all night in One Pocket action on one of the back tables in the 'practice room' the same night Marcus and Little John where in action. Teddy has to be 60 or 70. Anyone know how he made out?

I've got a picture somewhere of Teddy, I'll post it later if I can dig it out.

One other bit of action I didn't see commented on anywhere was Corey Deuel vs 'The Ghost' -- all 15 balls in one pocket starting with ball in hand after he broke. He was getting 5 to 1 on the money, meaning he had to run out all fifteen one out of five tries just to break even!

I understand he quit after running out about one in seven tries, but that was just what I heard -- the final could have been different.

A controversy developed in one rack I did hapen to be watching when Corey got a ball (maybe the 14 ball) down nearly in the jaws of the other foot pocket (that would be the opponent's pocket in an actual game) -- where it wouldn't have banked, nor would you be able to get behind it. Well, when he got down to just 3 or four balls on the table, Corey manuevered the cue ball so he could bump the 14 into the pocket, figuring it would come back out on the spot once the table was cleared. So he did that, and continued making the remaining balls when the guy he was betting spoke up said the rack was over since Corey had made a ball in the other pocket -- which he did not consider 'neutral'. Indeed, if it had been a real game spotting 15 to 1, the game would have been over. But Corey's opinion was that there was no opponent's pocket, it was just him running all 15 balls into one pocket, and so the ball should simply spot after everything else was off the table and he would continue.

I think that beef ended up souring the bet. Anyway, that particular rack Corey did go ahead and run off the last few until he had that real tough long cut shot of a ball on the spot, with the cue ball way up by the corner pocket on your own side of the table but the opposite end, which he jawed anyway.

This was the shot, with his pocket to the left (behind Gabe Owen)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
I understand he quit after running out about one in seven tries, but that was just what I heard -- the final could have been different.

)

Steve-- It looks like the guy in the checkered shirt on the far right in the picture is Bob Jewett. If he was present, I'm sure he could give an accurate description of the disagreement and the outcome. Do you know Bob from San Francisco Bay area? Surprised he doesn't post here. Maybe I'll razz him into contributing...

Doc

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
gulfportdoc said:
.... Maybe I'll razz him into contributing...

Doc
I read too many fora as it is.

It is standard in one pocket that a ball you make in your opponent's pocket counts for him. It is standard in one pocket shoot-out that balls made in any extraneous pocket, including the dead foot pocket, are spotted. Balls made extraneously on the shoot-out break are spotted after the break. Balls made during the shoot-out run are spotted if the run clears the table.

The bettor (Billy something?), wanted any ball made in the dead foot pocket to end the rack with a loss. When Corey missed the long shot in the disputed rack, the immediate controversy ended, and it was decided that the standard shoot-out spotting rules would be used. Billy also wanted a scratch on the break to end the rack. The standard is that it does not, but any ball pocketed spots after a scratch on the break.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
It was posted

It was posted

NH Steve said:
And it wasn't just the young guys, Teddy the Greek was up all night in One Pocket action on one of the back tables in the 'practice room' the same night Marcus and Little John where in action. Teddy has to be 60 or 70. Anyone know how he made out?

I've got a picture somewhere of Teddy, I'll post it later if I can dig it out.

One other bit of action I didn't see commented on anywhere was Corey Deuel vs 'The Ghost' -- all 15 balls in one pocket starting with ball in hand after he broke. He was getting 5 to 1 on the money, meaning he had to run out all fifteen one out of five tries just to break even!

A controversy developed in one rack I did hapen to be watching when Corey got a ball (maybe the 14 ball) down nearly in the jaws of the other foot pocket (that would be the opponent's pocket in an actual game) -- where it wouldn't have banked, nor would you be able to get behind it. Well, when he got down to just 3 or four balls on the table, Corey manuevered the cue ball so he could bump the 14 into the pocket, figuring it would come back out on the spot once the table was cleared. So he did that, and continued making the remaining balls when the guy he was betting spoke up said the rack was over since Corey had made a ball in the other pocket -- which he did not consider 'neutral'. Indeed, if it had been a real game spotting 15 to 1, the game would have been over. But Corey's opinion was that there was no opponent's pocket, it was just him running all 15 balls into one pocket, and so the ball should simply spot after everything else was off the table and he would continue.

I think that beef ended up souring the bet. Anyway, that particular rack Corey did go ahead and run off the last few until he had that real tough long cut shot of a ball on the spot, with the cue ball way up by the corner pocket on your own side of the table but the opposite end, which he jawed anyway.

This was the shot, with his pocket to the left (behind Gabe Owen)

Hey Steve, that info on that match was posted on az during the week, I don't know why I did not think to do it here as this is the one pocket site right? I was just posting on AZ's Derby City talk site. Bob has answered the beef question perfectly and I think if there had not been so much woofing over that shot, Cory would not have got so far out of line and also may have cut that tough shot in although he came within a hair of making it anyway. As for the results I watched the match after they moved to the t.v. table and Cory did well, so well in fact he ended up being ahead $2200 when he had to leave for a match, they were suppose to continue the bet at a later time but I do not think they ever did or I did not hear if they did. If anyone knows please post. It was the most amazing exhibition I have seen. What Cory was doing was extraordinary.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Bob Jewett said:

May I suggest F.A.? (Forums Anonymous) It's a 12 step group which was originally formed by an a fellow from Silicon Valley who was so addicted to newsgroups and chat rooms that his life had become unmanageable. I'll have to check the URL. Of course it does meet online...

Good points on Corey's proposition match.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Bob Jewett said:

It is standard in one pocket that a ball you make in your opponent's pocket counts for him. It is standard in one pocket shoot-out that balls made in any extraneous pocket, including the dead foot pocket, are spotted. Balls made extraneously on the shoot-out break are spotted after the break. Balls made during the shoot-out run are spotted if the run clears the table.

The bettor (Billy something?), wanted any ball made in the dead foot pocket to end the rack with a loss. When Corey missed the long shot in the disputed rack, the immediate controversy ended, and it was decided that the standard shoot-out spotting rules would be used. Billy also wanted a scratch on the break to end the rack. The standard is that it does not, but any ball pocketed spots after a scratch on the break.
Bob, thanks for clarifying that. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you -- I had no idea you were just a few feet away...

From what I saw, I thought Corey got BIH anywhere on the table after the break -- was I mistaken? I thought usually vs the ghost you took BIH behind the line.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
NH Steve said:
From what I saw, I thought Corey got BIH anywhere on the table after the break -- was I mistaken? I thought usually vs the ghost you took BIH behind the line.
I had never seen it played with BIH before. Previously, the player took the cue ball in position after the break unless he had scratched on the break, and then it was behind the line.

At nine-ball ghost, we always play BIH anywhere on the table.