One Ball One Pocket tournament

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There has been a lot of interest here on OnePocket.org for a One Ball One Pocket tournament at Derby City this year. As all of you that attend Derby City know, it is a busy place during the main tournament hours, but we should have access to the necessary handful of tables starting midnight, either Sunday and Monday nights (there is already an open One Pocket "mini" on Tuesday night). I was thinking OnePocket.org Members Only but new members are welcome. Games should not take too long, so certainly double elimination would be fine; maybe something like a race to 2 or 3 -- or 3 on the winner side and 2 on the one loss side. If both nights are available, we could even do something like a $20 entry Sunday night with the top four players going to a Monday night playoff, and a $40 "buyback" available if people who either lost Sunday or were not in town yet, so they could also get in Monday. Limit to 16 players. The top prize could be either $$ or the US Open One Pocket entry. I would like half of the entry fees to support OnePocket.org if the US Open entry is the top prize. Depending on the number of players, the top prize could be winner's choice of 2nd place cash or top prize of US Open entry (about a $300 value). If we are not going to do a buy back, then probably a straight $40 entry fee is about right.

For rules, basic OnePocket.org rules apply with just two exceptions:
1. We start with only one ball on the table and the cue ball in a starting position to be agreed on
2. To limit time, if either player scratches or fouls so that they need two to win, that is okay; but if they scratch or foul so that they would need three balls, then that is a loss of game. In other words, you can scratch or foul once so that you need two balls, but in order to stay alive, if you need two, you need to score one before you scratch or foul again.

Other than that, the games progress like the normal end game in One Pocket.

Someone suggested this kind of starting position, which seems good to me.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-12-22_10-30-51.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-12-22_10-30-51.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Part of the reason I suggested the second night buy back is that I think this is going to be FUN, and people are going to want to get back in if they can.

I want to play in it too, so that's two :)

shw

Verified Member
One ball one pocket tournament

One ball one pocket tournament

sounds like fun. count me in.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Any suggestions on format, rules, starting position are welcome. Also, I suggested offering the US Open One Pocket entry as first prize (or cash -- at winner's choice).