ONE BALL ONE POCKET QUESTION

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hawaiian eye on azb posted this link
is this a common way to start the game?
in my poolroom
the breaker has ball in hand in the kitchen and has to play safe on the first shot

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Most commonly it is played with OB on the center of the bottom rail and CB anywhere in the kitchen. The first shot is a safe. If the opponent isn't following that rule, for example he is attempting to cut the OB to his hole, then put a rule in place that the OB must go pasr the side pocket on the break or it is a foul and loss of game.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Who has the advantage on the break, the breaker or opponent when playing a non-offensive break?

On subsequent games, who breaks? Or is it an alternate break format?

Do you guys play where any foul is loss of game? And is this common; errantly pocketing the ball in a neutral pocket is loss of game?

If you play that any foul is loss of game, I would think then if a guy got the ball buried in his scoring pocket then it is game over, for you are not allowed to follow it in, or jump the cb off the table!
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Whitey
the way it’s played in my room
its alternate break
the game is played after the break with normal onepocket rules
If you foul you spot one and now you need two
so you could make his ball in his pocket and scratch at the same time
whether the break is an advantage or disadvantage I am curious to hear what our members say

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Another way to start is with the cue ball on the rail at the center diamond. From there, the breaker is at a disadvantage, and is just trying to survive the break. I hate that shot but it makes it more interesting.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey
the way it’s played in my room
its alternate break
the game is played after the break with normal onepocket rules
If you foul you spot one and now you need two
so you could make his ball in his pocket and scratch at the same time
whether the break is an advantage or disadvantage I am curious to hear what our members say
You need to clarify this statement for me; "If you foul you spot one and now you need two". Does that mean you actually spot another ball, and now there are two balls on the table?
Or,
does it mean; a coin goes up and now you need to make the one and only ball on the table, twice? thanks, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Keith 'Squirrel' Story:
The break of the cb froze on the center diamond, reminds of the thread about Cole and Keith 'Squirrel' Thompson. They were in a bar and getting no action, and Cole was goofing around and bored stiff because they could not get any action, so he says to Squirrel; "get up here and show these guys this shot". Cole set up the ob froze on the foot rail center diamond and cb froze on the head rail center diamond.
Squirrel cut it right in, first attempt of course!

How much action did they get after that shot! LOL! Whitey

Squirrel is a sharp shooter extraordinaire!

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
You need to clarify this statement for me; "If you foul you spot one and now you need two". Does that mean you actually spot another ball, and now there are two balls on the table?
Or,
does it mean; a coin goes up and now you need to make the one and only ball on the table, twice? thanks, Whitey
You spot another ball just like in a regular game of onepocket
ie ...your opponent has ball in hand in the kitchen and there are 2 balls on the spot
he needs one you need 2

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Larry, it appears that the game rules you posted by the son as learned from his father, are out of the norm for this 1 ball OP game. For as you stated; " 1 ball OP is played by the same rules as regular OP".
I like that better than the rules that this guy learned from his father, which are probably house rules. But it makes way more sense to allow fouls and spotting up a ball vs. loosing the game just because the opponent buried the ball in his pocket.
Thanks for the clarification! Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Yes whitey
i posted the above because I had never seen or heard one ball onepocket being played that way
and wondered if that’s how anyone else played it

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I have played both ways. Who has the advantage on the breakdepends on how wellyou can hit that shot. For me the goal is to try to put the OB near the side pocket because the incoming shooter is reluctant to try a hard 2 or 3 railer and risk the CB scratch.

You can usually tell who has the advantage in the game because the better player will want to play all fuls lose and get more games done faster. The lesser player often wants to drag it out with fouls spotting balls.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I have played both ways. Who has the advantage on the breakdepends on how wellyou can hit that shot. For me the goal is to try to put the OB near the side pocket because the incoming shooter is reluctant to try a hard 2 or 3 railer and risk the CB scratch.

You can usually tell who has the advantage in the game because the better player will want to play all fuls lose and get more games done faster. The lesser player often wants to drag it out with fouls spotting balls.
The problem with all fouls loose, is all the player has to then do is simply bury the ball in their hole. Thus you do not have to make the ball to win the game. That is crazy! But it does speed up the game and if you got the nuts plus can get the guy locked up in this game, the money would roll on in faster.

In this game whereas a foul is a loss, so what about the neutral pocket loss?
And is going for your pocket allowed on the break if the cb is frozen to the head rail center diamond?
For if you go for it as diagramed and miss the ob entirely then it is a loss. thanks, Whitey

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
The problem with all fouls loose, is all the player has to then do is simply bury the ball in their hole. Thus you do not have to make the ball to win the game. That is crazy! But it does speed up the game and if you got the nuts plus can get the guy locked up in this game, the money would roll on in faster.

In this game whereas a foul is a loss, so what about the neutral pocket loss?
And is going for your pocket allowed on the break if the cb is frozen to the head rail center diamond?
For if you go for it as diagramed and miss the ob entirely then it is a loss. thanks, Whitey

That is correct. Any and ALL fouls lose. A ball pocketed in the wrong pocket loses. Most who play this game seem to understand and accept these rules, gamblers you know. Touch and getting the ball hanging in ANY hole can get you a win.

No, you can't pocket your ball on the break. If you do, you lose. If you don't want the breaker even trying to get the OB close to hs hole on the break, as most players do, you require something like maybe get the OB above the side pocket or you lose. I have seen players try to make the 4 railer on the break, hoping to just get it close, and end up making it and losing...lol

It's a really good and fast gambling game, and a good move for a OP player to trap a nineballer who won't play OP.:) Sell him on the idea that this game is even faster than 9 ball (he like that).

No one is gonna shoot that kick shot in the diagram if they are playing ALL fouls lose.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I agree, Rod. Do you recall if the breaker can nudge it towards his hole along the bottom rail, or do you require him to get the OB up table?
What ever you want, just can't make it. The way we played most everyone banked the OB just short of the side pocket above their hole.
A little bad hit .OB too short CB to high you could leave a one railer.

P.S. I played 12 hours once, I was very tired, I've played much longer, this game every other shot is your shot. Never a chance to sit down, the fellow I was playing played as fast as me.

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
What ever you want, just can't make it. The way we played most everyone banked the OB just short of the side pocket above their hole.
A little bad hit .OB too short CB to high you could leave a one railer.

P.S. I played 12 hours once, I was very tired, I've played much longer, this game every other shot is your shot. Never a chance to sit down, the fellow I was playing played as fast as me.

Yeah, I agree...that game can wear ya out. :)