Old school one pocket

John reading

My friend Freddie Boggs and I grew up in small town of Colmar Manor md.we learned the game in pete's pool room a local hang out for kids.we where lucky to have the old pool hustlers teaching us the game of one pocket.Fred is now a great player in Vegas and his brother Scott learned his 9 ball game there.that pool room is gone now with the smoke and coun beads ubove table's is forever in mine and Freddie s mind.Old school was a fun way to learn the game that the kids today will miss out on.I am still in md. Playing in apa masters league but like hearing news of Freddie s accomplished play against top one pocket players.I am proud to have learned the game with him he has one smooth stroke. :)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
My friend Freddie Boggs and I grew up in small town of Colmar Manor md.we learned the game in pete's pool room a local hang out for kids.we where lucky to have the old pool hustlers teaching us the game of one pocket.Fred is now a great player in Vegas and his brother Scott learned his 9 ball game there.that pool room is gone now with the smoke and coun beads ubove table's is forever in mine and Freddie s mind.Old school was a fun way to learn the game that the kids today will miss out on.I am still in md. Playing in apa masters league but like hearing news of Freddie s accomplished play against top one pocket players.I am proud to have learned the game with him he has one smooth stroke. :)

I've played Freddy several times in Vegas. Always a good time

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

I grew up very near that area too John. I'm sure you know that. Freddy and I tangled many times over the years and we had great respect for each other and for our abilities on the pool table. I think I am safe to say that Freddy and I learned a great deal about One Pocket from each other.

We were blessed with living within a short distance of two great pool rooms. Guys and Dolls in Silver Hill, MD. and Beenie's place, Jack and Jill's Cue Club in Shirlington, VA. These two rooms drew some of the finest One Pocket and nine ball players in the Country. So many stories can be told about these players and their numerous encounters in these rooms.

Scotty, Freddy, and I have been very good friends for decades and I was lucky to have Scotty and his wife Robin living nearby me for a few years here in South Florida. He now lives across the street from his brother in Henderson, NV. I miss Scotty's presence here in Florida. Though action in this area is sparse, we spent many evenings traveling to various pool rooms searching for it just the same.

John, I'm sure we must know each other but I can't figure out who you are. Maybe you can send me a PM.

Tom

Wait a minute! Are you Big John? You used to frequently back Scotty. Right?

Last edited:

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC

Hello John,

Scotty, Freddy and Tom all taught me as well. But it was the Pool room down the street in Bladensburg that all would meet occasionally

But like Tom said 'Guys and Dolls' and 'Jack and Jill' were the main rooms in the DC area because of their being open 24 hours

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info and peeps here ...

Bill

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Hello John,

Scotty, Freddy and Tom all taught me as well. But it was the Pool room down the street in Bladensburg that all would meet occasionally

But like Tom said 'Guys and Dolls' and 'Jack and Jill' were the main rooms in the DC area because of their being open 24 hours

Bill

When you post again John, go to the 'OnePocket forum'. There you may catch anyone of the above posting

Again, welcome to the site ...

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hello John,

Bill

Yes Bill, The Golden Cue on Bladensburg road was a great local room. I worked in that room for about five years and Ed Sharp, the owner, fired me five times for gambling while every table was going. Each time he did, he would call me back a couple days later asking me to come back to work. Each time he would politely ask me not to play with a full house and each time I told him I would try to ablige. This turned out to be wishful thinking on both our parts because it would happen again and again. I couldn't help myself. The action was too sweet I guess.

I had explained to him that I never started out playing when the room was going, but I'd get the guy I was playing stuck pretty good by then and I didn't want to quit him winners, especially since I was winning so much more than I could possible make on the job.

It was a dilemma. I never had a problem running the joint with all fourteen tables going. We didn't sell sandwiches, just snacks and sodas. This was an easy job, so what's the problem? Well, he couldn't do it, so he didn't like it when I could. It was his place, so there you go.

Anyway, this room had plenty of action. None of it was high dollar, but it was great for pumping up for when I got off work and headed for Jack and Jill's or Guy's and Doll's. Those were the action spots, where the real action ran 24/7.

Freddy played most every night in this room. Scotty did too. Bill Morton, known as "the Mailman" played there too. He was really something. I learned so much from watching that man play One hole. I saw him a few years ago when he was probably about 80 and he still played jam-up. Those were great times for pool. I'd still be playing regularly if the action was like that now, but it's not. Those days appear to be over.

Thanks for giving me a chance to reminisce.

Tom