Ok. Wwyd here?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
It is your shot. Your pocket is bottom right. Your opponent is leading 4 balls to 2. Wwyd??

Unfortunately, there is no "after" picture here as I was gambling and couldn't stop the game to get another shot lol.

But I took these when my opponent left the table for a minute and I was really unsure what to shoot. What would you have shot?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438953169.352669.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1438953190.052404.jpg

t-dog

Verified Member
It is your shot. Your pocket is bottom right. Your opponent is leading 4 balls to 2. Wwyd??

Unfortunately, there is no "after" picture here as I was gambling and couldn't stop the game to get another shot lol.

But I took these when my opponent left the table for a minute and I was really unsure what to shoot. What would you have shot?

View attachment 12811View attachment 12812
I am anxious to see what others come up with as I am unsure. I think I would bank the 7 trying to make it off of the 2 but, really just hoping to move the 2 uptable a little and position the 7 by my hole without leaving a return bank....its a tough shot but leaving whitey and the 2 where they are, is just asking the opponent to bank it in.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Obviously if you can kick out the 7 with draw or low left, and bring the CB back towards center rail, that's the shot, even if you leave a bank on the deuce. You might have to even dig down and draw off the 5-rail-7 to get it outta there.

Trying to hide whitey, or shoot some weird-ass bank is just going to make it worse.

The balls actually favor you here, so if you can get by the next inning or two, you should be in good shape.

~Doc

koldcash

can we soft bank the seven about 15" and try and double him up on the 2....Jacking up and drawing off the 5 to get behind the 7 seems to low percentage

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I might just bank the seven at the deuce real gentle and maybe get him up against the one

lll

Verified Member
if the alternatives with the 7 dont look good at the table
i might cross the 5 to my side and decide how far up table along his side rail or on the head cushion
looks like a good landing spot
mm3.jpg

jtompilot

Verified Member
Tough spot to be in but there is a possible shot here.

Half firm ball hit on the 7 driving it into the short rail the off the soft end of the long rail banking it into your hole. QB into the 5 moving it up table and the QB up table a few diamonds.

koldcash

Tough spot to be in but there is a possible shot here.

Half firm ball hit on the 7 driving it into the short rail the off the soft end of the long rail banking it into your hole. QB into the 5 moving it up table and the QB up table a few diamonds.
Wouldn't you give up a lot of banks that way?

LSJohn

Verified Member

If I'm seeing it right I would cut the 7 slightly to the right to double the corner and draw almost straight back with 7 o'clock.

darmoose

Verified Member
Mitch

Hope you were ahead in games, cause you are in big doo-doo here. I don't think any of the suggestions offered so far are without significant risk of leaving your opponent a good shot and a run to end the game, and some are just impossible

Obviously if you could get the CB back closer to your side of the table and stuck to the bottom rail, that would be the best. You could pocket the seven and try to draw, but the angle would probably bring the CB out away from the bottom rail.

JB's shot is ok but your opponent will shoot the 4 ball to a big pocket and probably get the CB safe if he misses.

Tough spot..... I think because you are soo close to it,I might try to hit the seven into his pocket jaw hoping to get it to go up table toward the five while drawing the CB back below the two.

wincardona

Verified Member
If I were confident I could double him up shooting the rail first shot on the 7ball that's the shot that I would shoot. If I didn't like that shot for any reason I would pocket the 7ball and draw back past the center of the foot rail and play from there. Trailing 5 balls to 2 balls is very surmountable for a reasonably good player with the balls in play, as they are here. Also, if you're able to position the cue ball where I suggested you're making it difficult for your opponent to follow with a shot and protect his 5ball, yes it can be done, but not easily.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
Thin off the five and put the cue ball near the side pocket. The five will come out where he can't cut it and the banks are blocked.

Sometimes simple is the best.:D

onepockethacker

Verified Member
If I were confident I could double him up shooting the rail first shot on the 7ball that's the shot that I would shoot. If I didn't like that shot for any reason I would pocket the 7ball and draw back past the center of the foot rail and play from there. Trailing 5 balls to 2 balls is very surmountable for a reasonably good player with the balls in play, as they are here. Also, if you're able to position the cue ball where I suggested you're making it difficult for your opponent to follow with a shot and protect his 5ball, yes it can be done, but not easily.

Dr. Bill
DING DING DING we have a winner I cant believe it took this many responses to get to this choice

1andDone

Verified Member
Softly shoot the 7 high, playing the double kiss to keep the cue ball low and tying up the 7 and 5. The bank on the deuce would be a sell out.

wincardona

Verified Member
Thin off the five and put the cue ball near the side pocket. The five will come out where he can't cut it and the banks are blocked.

Sometimes simple is the best.:D
A viable option, but you're pushing the envelope a little too much for my liking, with the 5ball as close to the rail as it is. Balls positioned close to the rail from the angle you're on is often tricky to control the speed and accuracy with the hit. Plus I really want to move the 7ball from the position it's in, it's just a "loud talking" ball.

This is a tough spot to be in, regardless of which option is chosen you certainly are the dog. It's a matter of figuring out what the lesser evils are and go from there. For a top player, the way the balls are positioned, pocketing the 7ball may be the best option. My two cents.

Dr. Bill

darmoose

Verified Member
A viable option, but you're pushing the envelope a little too much for my liking, with the 5ball as close to the rail as it is. Balls positioned close to the rail from the angle you're on is often tricky to control the speed and accuracy with the hit. Plus I really want to move the 7ball from the position it's in, it's just a "loud talking" ball.

This is a tough spot to be in, regardless of which option is chosen you certainly are the dog. It's a matter of figuring out what the lesser evils are and go from there. For a top player, the way the balls are positioned, pocketing the 7ball may be the best option. My two cents.

Dr. Bill
I agree with you that while possible, playing off the five as John suggests is risky, like all other options.

I do think that looking back at the original close up view posted, one can't make the seven and draw the CB without it coming out away from the bottom rail. Do you disagree? And do you not think from this close you couldn't more often than not jaw the seven and send it up table while definitely drawing the CB back along the bottom rail.

Maybe I'm all wet, but it sure looks to me that pocketing the seven requires an off center hit?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
This would be my choice if it could be done.. Hide the two ball while bringing the five out so that it could not be cut in. Also taking the kick away on the seven ball.

slice off the five.jpg

koldcash

This would be my choice if it could be done.. Hide the two ball while bringing the five out so that it could not be cut in. Also taking the kick away on the seven ball.

View attachment 12816
That shot looks ultra dodgy to me...too thick you catch a kiss...too thin, lose the cue ball....and can you create enough speed to get the 5 ball away from the rail.....seems like a lot can go wrong.