Official Entry Thread for 2018 onepocket.org Member's Tourney

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

As predicted by many, the tourney roster is rounding into form. At this rate, I'm guessing we'll hit 32 by May 15. Computer warriors, please bring your fave mouse so we can all see what you can really do (WYCRD) under the hot lights. Bring money. I'll be in the house on Thursday afternoon to look for fun and games. I'm expecting to get soundly thumped by my betters, and will pay for the opportunity. Sadly, especially if I'm in the finals on Sunday afternoon, I won't be able to be there as there will be a memorial that day for my best friend, Glenn Hirsch, who was suddenly stolen from this world a few weeks ago. Not a pool player but he liked it that I was, yet he'd expect me to come and pay my respects with everyone else who loved him. First things first.

Sorry about your friend. Looking forward to meeting you. Happy to play some.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Hey Jay, glad to see you are going to make it. I remember talking about the members tournament with you and Harry Platis, in Las Vegas, I have not seen him post though or if he ever has.

As far as my two cents on who plays, I have been to every one of these, been at every hall of fame dinner at derby, and support Steve booth in any and all of his endeavors on this site. If y’all remember Grady Matthews was a member here and if we had a tournament back then he would have snapped it off. So I really don’t care who plays. I am dead money anyway, I come to try and shark john h. And Newkirk, offering libations to try and throw off their stroke. Lol

B

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
I wonder if I'm qualified to play. I haven't posted much and don't know if I'm a
"member" or not. If I go I'd like to share a room with someone.
Wow, I just saw where I'm a verified member. Cool!

Come on, Jay !

I see where you are getting in stroke. You still have over 3 weeks to practice.

Look forward to seeing you again. Remember where we first met ? Red's tournament in '84, or was it '85 ?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I realize this is slightly (surely) off topic but for the members attending the CA tournament, if anybody wants to play a few games/sets of back pocket 9 ball for something different, you’ve got action :).

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I've probably said this 3x in this thread alone, but I will repeat myself.

I...AM....SOOOOOO....JEALOUS! :D

You guys are going to have so much fun!!!!

Looking forward to sweating the stream!!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I realize this is slightly (surely) off topic but for the members attending the CA tournament, if anybody wants to play a few games/sets of back pocket 9 ball for something different, you’ve got action :).

I will play some cheap and you can teach me.:D And I will teach you golf.:heh

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
As some of you already know, I am NOT going to be able to make it to the tournament this year. My kids are still in school until June 9th and I have nobody to watch them if Lizz and I are out of town. I will continue to take care of the entries and shirt orders.

Col. Bille will be running the brackets and Steve said he may have someone else in the area that can help.

Mitch will have the entry money for the tournament and will also be taking care of distributing shirts and collecting the money for those who elected to pay at the tourney.

The other thing that needs to be decided is who wants to run the calcutta.

I would assume that the timeline would be the same as what we did for Chicago which would be the following.

6/1/18 - 2:30pm - Player check-in and shirt distribution.

6/1/18 - 3:30pm - Short player's meeting in regards to rules and then proceed with the calcutta.

6/1/18 - 4:00pm - The first round will begin for the tournament.

I definitely wish we could attend but it is just not possible this year. I will definitely be sweating the stream!!

keoneyo

Verified Member
Update - Currently have 21 paid entries. Looks like no problem having full field.

No Keoneyo. Keone, watched Designated Survivor this week. Pretty good show.
Hope you make the tournament.

Thanks for the kind words, sir!!! Unfortunately I have a commitment for the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas at the same time. If I can get away Ill try to fly in for the finals.
Good luck to you and all my friends
PS If I can make the seniors in Texas Ill try in honor of my buddy Tall Jeff.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Mitch will have the entry money for the tournament and will also be taking care of distributing shirts and collecting the money for those who elected to pay at the tourney.

You and Lizz will be missed for sure. I do not think I prepaid for the shirt but would be happy to if it makes things easier for you all. Just let me know and remind me of the price.

Dave

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
As predicted by many, the tourney roster is rounding into form. At this rate, I'm guessing we'll hit 32 by May 15. Computer warriors, please bring your fave mouse so we can all see what you can really do (WYCRD) under the hot lights. Bring money. I'll be in the house on Thursday afternoon to look for fun and games. I'm expecting to get soundly thumped by my betters, and will pay for the opportunity. Sadly, especially if I'm in the finals on Sunday afternoon, I won't be able to be there as there will be a memorial that day for my best friend, Glenn Hirsch, who was suddenly stolen from this world a few weeks ago. Not a pool player but he liked it that I was, yet he'd expect me to come and pay my respects with everyone else who loved him. First things first.

So sorry to hear of your friend's passing, Mike. May he rest in peace.

Dave

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
As some of you already know, I am NOT going to be able to make it to the tournament this year. My kids are still in school until June 9th and I have nobody to watch them if Lizz and I are out of town. I will continue to take care of the entries and shirt orders.

Col. Bille will be running the brackets and Steve said he may have someone else in the area that can help.

The other thing that needs to be decided is who wants to run the calcutta.

I would assume that the timeline would be the same as what we did for Chicago which would be the following.

6/1/18 - 2:30pm - Player check-in and shirt distribution.

6/1/18 - 3:30pm - Short player's meeting in regards to rules and then proceed with the calcutta.

6/1/18 - 4:00pm - The first round will begin for the tournament.

I definitely wish we could attend but it is just not possible this year. I will definitely be sweating the stream!!

Nice team effort here, like a well-oiled machine. I'm sorry to miss it this year but hope to rejoin next year.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Entry fee

Entry fee

Okay Mike, put me down. I've booked my flight and hotel and just sent you paypal. My shirt size is Medium. Thanks

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Will you be bringing any peppers?

jay helfert

Verified Member

I've never played back pocket 9-Ball, but I do like to play Banks. :)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I've never played back pocket 9-Ball, but I do like to play Banks. :)

I’ve never even seen a game of banks played here in Philly. But I would love to play some, Jay! So let’s met in the middle and play some one pocket. Although I am not at your level, so we’d have to figure out a good game. I figure anybody whose written pool books has to start out giving up 9-7. 😊

Regardless if we play though I am glad you are coming. I’ve read your posts and stories over the years and it will be nice to put a face with the name.

Mitch

jay helfert

Verified Member
I’ve never even seen a game of banks played here in Philly. But I would love to play some, Jay! So let’s met in the middle and play some one pocket. Although I am not at your level, so we’d have to figure out a good game. I figure anybody whose written pool books has to start out giving up 9-7. ��

Regardless if we play though I am glad you are coming. I’ve read your posts and stories over the years and it will be nice to put a face with the name.

Mitch

Thank you Mitch for the compliment and the hustle. I have no idea how you play. Asking for a spot is NOT "meeting in the middle." Maybe I'm the one who needs 9-7! I'm a 73 year old man who is long over the hill. Everything I wrote about happened 25-50 years ago! I may be the softest player in the field today.

I'm sure you're younger than me and shoot straighter as well, but I'm not afraid to step up and play even with someone I don't know just to see how we match up. If you're an expert at Back Pocket 9-Ball, that tells me you are more than a beginner. It will be nice to meet you as well. :)

P.S. Philly's own Jimmy Fusco was a great Bank Pool player!