Official 2013 HOF comments thread

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
Does the fact that he beat everybody he played playing one pocket and Eddie Taylor and Ronnie Allen wouldnt play him that game mean anything? Some people, and rightly so, think Danny Jones should be in the 1pkt HOF. Harold gave him a ball.

Beard

In 1985, Doc Gooden had one of the best seasons any pitcher has ever had in the history of baseball. Any other pitcher that year could have gotten 9-7, in pool terms. And he was only 20 years old with seemingly unlimited potential. But the rest of his career was a dud. Don Mattingly dominated all major league hitters for 3 years in the late 80s.

Neither of these two players are in Cooperstown because they won't induct a player simply because he was the best for a sliver of time.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Johnny Ervolino

Johnny Ervolino

It looks like the way the voting is going Worst and Cokes are looking very good, however, imo Ervolino should be at least tied or ahead if you look hard at it in a hard way. There is a vague cloud of suspicion circling both Cokes and Ervolino...not trying to stir anything...but then again there's suspicion circling most of us as well.:sorry

I have been around pool constantly for over 50 plus years, and have always been around the best players in some form or capacity. Johnny Ervolino has been there 'constantly' through most of my 50 years, with the exception of how many years he's been gone. I can't remember a time where I saw Ervolino that he wasn't in action, not only in action but playing one pocket and in action. I would like to say that I think Ervolino has more one pocket hrs. than any other player on Earth, which should equate to more gambling hrs. as well.;) Not only that but Ervolino played the game of one pocket as cleverly as any player that ever played. He was a pleasure to watch when at the table, however, his cleverness also bordered the volatility line and so consequently a balance that is at times hard to manage often lead to his demise, but in all he was a winning player by far. When he was on his game he was a beautiful player to watch, and a very note worthy one as well. Ervolino is a true legend, and one pocket was his best game (not straight pool. imo) I believe Cokes is also deserving of the award for his contributions, and also for his play and persistence, in every regard. However Worst imo doesn't have the the hours that the other two have, i'm not saying that in order to be inducted you should have hours but it certainly should count largely for something...don't you think? Unfortunately Worst left us at an earlier age than most, and it was a true travesty.

By the way, I believe that "Patch Eye" is also a very deserving candidate as well.
Bill Incardona

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Ervolino should be at least tied or ahead if you look hard at it in a hard way. There is a vague cloud of suspicion circling both Cokes and Ervolino...not trying to stir anything...but then again there's suspicion circling most of us as well.....

......Not only that but Ervolino played the game of one pocket as cleverly as any player that ever played. He was a pleasure to watch when at the table, however, his cleverness also bordered the volatility line and so consequently a balance that is at times hard to manage often lead to his demise.....

Bill Incardona

I know there are some rabid Ervolino fan's on this forum, and I don't want to upset them..But, most of you are aware I deferred my HOF involvement the first few years, because I felt there were several more deserving than myself...I'm sorry, but Johnny Ervolino was not one of them.

We played 3 times, (even) and he has yet to win a session !..The first time was in '93, when I had just retired from UPS. He came to Phx. with a shortstop/backer who knew I was a good score, if you could win ! They were on their way to Helferts LA Open...That score just barely exceded the "walking stick"

Then we played again, at Jay's tournament, Bucktooth staked him 2 races to 7, for a dime ! (I believe Jay sweated the end of that match)..Then a few weeks later, he stopped on the way home, in Phx. again..(new backer) He made me go to a neutral table that play.. But, the end result was the same ! (that time, he did go on tilt)

He was certainly was more visible, and played more players than me..But, I still think there are a few guys ahead of him. in the deceased catagory..I know there are a few above him, if he were still alive !..Sorry for the brag!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I would vote for Ervolino in a heart beat. If there were a separate award for "Most Entertaining One Pocket Player over a Lifetime" Johnny should be in the top ten.

Tom

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
It looks like the way the voting is going Worst and Cokes are looking very good, however, imo Ervolino should be at least tied or ahead if you look hard at it in a hard way. There is a vague cloud of suspicion circling both Cokes and Ervolino...not trying to stir anything...but then again there's suspicion circling most of us as well.:sorry

I have been around pool constantly for over 50 plus years, and have always been around the best players in some form or capacity. Johnny Ervolino has been there 'constantly' through most of my 50 years, with the exception of how many years he's been gone. I can't remember a time where I saw Ervolino that he wasn't in action, not only in action but playing one pocket and in action. I would like to say that I think Ervolino has more one pocket hrs. than any other player on Earth, which should equate to more gambling hrs. as well.;) Not only that but Ervolino played the game of one pocket as cleverly as any player that ever played. He was a pleasure to watch when at the table, however, his cleverness also bordered the volatility line and so consequently a balance that is at times hard to manage often lead to his demise, but in all he was a winning player by far. When he was on his game he was a beautiful player to watch, and a very note worthy one as well. Ervolino is a true legend, and one pocket was his best game (not straight pool. imo) I believe Cokes is also deserving of the award for his contributions, and also for his play and persistence, in every regard. However Worst imo doesn't have the the hours that the other two have, i'm not saying that in order to be inducted you should have hours but it certainly should count largely for something...don't you think? Unfortunately Worst left us at an earlier age than most, and it was a true travesty.

By the way, I believe that "Patch Eye" is also a very deserving candidate as well.
Bill Incardona

I was at DCC about 10 or 12 years ago and everytime I passed the action room Ervolino was playing all the young guns even and never booked a loser. That went on for 5 or 6 days. I think 20 or 30 a game. Stamina was his middle name. He must have been 70 years old or older.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
how is it possible that clem metz isnt in the hall of fame?????
although not "colorful".....:rolleyes: (stayed undercover)
everyone of his time period considered him among the best (icbw)

ill ask the same question about marcel camp
why is he not in the hall of fame???
in the interviews ive read from the older players his name seems to come up also as among the best of his time (icbw)

i never saw either of them play
and ervolino and cokes are deserving
but how can a list of one pocket hall of famers not have Eugene "Clem" Metz
and Marcel Camp not a member????:confused:

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

in the interviews ive read from the older players his name seems to come up also as among the best of his time (icbw)

Larry, If we follow the path where every year we search and find a "Hall of Fame" inductee then in time, all of these personalities will eventually be admitted. Not to worry.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Larry both Camp and Metz are more deserving than many think and like Tom says ...they eventually will get in. The only reason I can see why they haven't already been inducted is that their too old for the voters to fully appreciate their one pocket prowess.

This brings me back to when we were discussing the possibility of inducting multiple players for the induction, particularly the older deceased players. This is the example that Freddie has brought up numerous times, and that is to induct the older players before their totally forgotten. :(

Bill Incardona