Ochoa-Frost 2010 DCC finals

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
He would bank that solid in center table and draw the cueball off the side rail clearing the 8 for position on the 13, and then he runs out.

Frost didn't take that option. He shot the pink 4 ball straight up into the long rail and followed with the CB. Fortunately for Frost the 4 came off the point and rolled down the rail, blocking a straight shot on the 8 for Sylver. Frost did have excellent speed on whitey, which he rolled right onto the head rail.

BTW, Frost went on to win the set, and also the DCC 1P championship that year (2010). ~Doc

Ochoa-Frost 5.jpg

Ochoa-Frost 6.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Even if the 4 didn't block the 8, I like the shot
Jimmy, looks like Frost got a bad break by covering the 8ball with the 4ball, now it looks to me that Sylver has a free shot with the combination 4..8.. Yes I do realize that its a tough combination but if I were he I would give it strong consideration. The only deterrent that I can see is if he can comfortably drop under the 7ball off the 10ball, that option is also strong if you're comfortable with the hit.

Dr. Bill

beatle

Verified Member
i suggested the long shot on the 11 as a desperation shot and to sway from the pack who always plays safe and never shoots. i didnt think he would shoot it but what do you think his % chances of making it added to the chance he wont leave anything if he misses it. that is how you evaluate a shot not by automatically discounting it because you will miss the majority of the time. my guess he can make it a third of the time. which if correct then it is a viable option as i dont think he is over that much to win from there playing safe.

this time that safe came out very well. but that is playing results. if i had to paly safe it would be between rolling behind the seven or possible looking to roll into the pack

there are actually many times when faced with overwhelming bad positions in the game where it pays to take a low % shot as that may actually give you the best chance of winning that game.

you vary the way you take chances according to the score and layout of the balls. only in the game you are currently playing. in a race the score of the race has no bearing on how you play during a game. you only use your chances of winning that game.

beatle

Verified Member
just went down and shot the shot 6 times and made it 2 and one of them was first try. and i believe i dont shoot as well as the shooter. :)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The kick on the 7 ball was as weak as SKIM MILK!!

Perhaps those who don't like the soft kick on the seven, are overlooking the fact, that the stripe next to the seven, makes it almost a 'gimme' carom, to make the seven in the oppo's hole, from almost ANYWHERE on the table !..I love it when all the "good, smart, movers" overlook things like that. ;)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Jimmy, looks like Frost got a bad break by covering the 8ball with the 4ball, now it looks to me that Sylver has a free shot with the combination 4..8.. Yes I do realize that its a tough combination but if I were he I would give it strong consideration. The only deterrent that I can see is if he can comfortably drop under the 7ball off the 10ball, that option is also strong if you're comfortable with the hit. Dr. Bill

Billy, I don't like the 4-8 combination. He's not likely to make it, and the speed has to be perfect in order for him not to sell out a shot on either the 12, 14, or 7 balls. I'd sooner bank the 9 over toward my hole rather than shoot the combo.

As it turned out, Ochoa didn't like either shot. He rolled the CB off the 10 (by the 1 ball), banking the CB off the side rail, and freezing it behind the 7. Another nice touch.:cool:

Doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Perhaps those who don't like the soft kick on the seven, are overlooking the fact, that the stripe next to the seven, makes it almost a 'gimme' carom, to make the seven in the oppo's hole, from almost ANYWHERE on the table !..I love it when all the "good, smart, movers" overlook things like that. ;)

Yeah Dicky, he is really going to play that carom froze to the 7 ball like that :rolleyes: I guess if someone like YOU is foolish enough to leave the cueball uptable for your opponent to shoot the carom it could be dangerous. However MOST members on the site have enough common sense (not all mind you:sorry) to not leave that shot. I know you are trying your best a way to argue with the results but as usual... WRONG ANSWER!! It is nice to see you paroled however for good behavior:eek:

bstroud

Verified Member
Whenever you would like to play Bill let me know.
Your Welcome
P.S. this site is sweet... who do you think I was hoping would reply when I said I would play anyone who liked kicking the 7 ball even? LOL

Where are you.
What do you bet?

Bill S.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Billy, I don't like the 4-8 combination. He's not likely to make it, and the speed has to be perfect in order for him not to sell out a shot on either the 12, 14, or 7 balls. I'd sooner bank the 9 over toward my hole rather than shoot the combo.

As it turned out, Ochoa didn't like either shot. He rolled the CB off the 10 (by the 1 ball), banking the CB off the side rail, and freezing it behind the 7. Another nice touch.:cool:

Doc

If there is room to make the eight by going rail first and getting position on the 14 ball that's what Efren would do. Could be a chance to make a few balls and it looks fairly safe.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If there is room to make the eight by going rail first and getting position on the 14 ball that's what Efren would do. Could be a chance to make a few balls and it looks fairly safe.

Looks like the point on the side might be iffy.
I'd bank the 9 ball a little long and use high karate on the CB.
Rod.
P.S. Hope I don't scratch. :)

piggybank04

Verified Member
lets say there was a kiss with the 3-8 combo, in that case i would have hit the 9 flush with follow, rolling cb behind the 7-12........

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Ya know, I didn't see that shot. It just might go, which would've given Ochoa 2 or 3 more. And nothing really goes in Frost's hole. On the other hand, it's usually suicide to leave Frost that close to his work.:cool:

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Doc
Art, the shot he chose was my other option, like I mentioned dropping under the 7ball is also a strong shot if you're comfortable with the hit.

Dr. Bill