Object Ball Jumps the Table

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
This came up at Hard Times this weekend in a one pocket gambling match.
In an otherwise legal shot, the object ball jumped off the table. The opponent said it was a foul. I say cue ball fouls only. The ball jumping off the table did not interfere with the path of the cue ball.

Is this a hard and fast rule or is it like base-of-the-ball or touching the line, something that must be agreed to before you start the set?

Carla

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
In an otherwise legal shot, the object ball jumped off the table. The opponent said it was a foul. I say cue ball fouls only. The ball jumping off the table did not interfere with the path of the cue ball.

Is this a hard and fast rule or is it like base-of-the-ball or touching the line, something that must be agreed to before you start the set?

Carla

Hi Carla, howyadoin'.....in some tournaments it may be the automatic rule, but in gambling, it would need to be agreed upon beforehand, one way or another.

- Ghosty

PS, Grab Don, Rob, and Keone, then come pick up Lomako, and come and watch my match with John Henderson two weeks from now...:heh...:)

PPS, You'd love Red Shoes - it's your kind of hardcore players poolroom

Last edited:

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona

Carla

The object ball jumping off the table is always a foul. By saying "cue ball fouls only", it means that accidentally bumping a object ball with your hand is not a foul. Your opponent just puts it back or leaves it.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
strickly by the onepocket.org rules 6.5
its a foul if the object ball leaves the table
but
also note the comment that not all "house"rules (ie gambling) agree

6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.

Please note that One Pocket has been traditionally played in many areas without a foul charged for jumping an object ball off the table, contrary to current general pocket billiards rules; therefore it is important to verify house rules or your tournament director's interpretation prior to an important match.

link to complete rules
http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The object ball jumping off the table is always a foul. By saying "cue ball fouls only", it means that accidentally bumping a object ball with your hand is not a foul. Your opponent just puts it back or leaves it.

Welcome to the site.
When you say always as above it tells me you are young. It wasn't a foul most of my life. It's a foul now to people who use tournament rules.
When I play a stranger it's one of the things we talk about before we play.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Welcome to the site.
When you say always as above it tells me you are young. It wasn't a foul most of my life. It's a foul now to people who use tournament rules.

When ever I matched up I never counted object ball off the table as a foul. Don't even remember it even coming up in conversation before we played. This must be very rare in one pocket. You see it pretty often in rotation games where a lot of power is needed sometimes.
In tournament one pocket play I think it's always a foul.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Carla

Nowadays it is something that needs to be discussed before the game. So many tournament players bring rules to the poolroom that they think they know the only rules.

Dennis

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Welcome to the site.

50 years young :) thank you...
25 to 30 years ago it wasn't an issue, but today we have pretty standard rules.
It would be rare to jump the object ball playing one pocket. I've seen guys jump the cue ball when there is no way to take out the opponents last ball, but usually the object ball goes into the pocket.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
When ever I matched up I never counted object ball off the table as a foul. Don't even remember it even coming up in conversation before we played. This must be very rare in one pocket. You see it pretty often in rotation games where a lot of power is needed sometimes.
In tournament one pocket play I think it's always a foul.

It's a good power shot if you can't hit one in your opponents pocket. If there's one in front of it, you can hit down on it and make the hanger and get the one in front to jump the table. It's been done a lot in the past ( once or twice every year or two ).
Rod.
P.S. You're right Frank, they changed the rule in tournaments some years ago.

Wayne

Verified Member

Carla

Hi Carla: It used to not be a foul. Then it became a foul in tournaments. Now it is a published rule that it is a foul here according to one pocket rules.

How about this situation that happened in a partners game of one pocket about a month ago. We had a bunch of balls in front of our hole and our opponent fired hard into them. He jumped a ball off the table, made a ball in our hole and made a ball in their hole (true story). Everyone was confused. I don't know how it would have been ruled without one pocket org rules of one pocket. I explained that the ball off the table gets spotted, the ball in there pocket gets spotted plus they owe a ball. The ball in our pocket we get to keep and it is our shot. Of course, they weren't to happy with the ruling.

I have never discussed this with anyone before playing and no one has ever discussed it with me. Best to go by rules of one pocket org. as standard rules unless agreed to differently.

Wayne

backplaying

Verified Member
Welcome to the site.

Same here.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Same here.

But that begs the question, why in the world should you have to.

Nobody can agree on these things, but objectively speaking I would hope we could all agree an ob flying off the table should be a foul. I guess not though. Another example of the clumsy nature in which the one pocket rules were created. What about the whole balls being frozen, or close to it push rule? You think we could clear that up sometime in the next decade?

I personally think it is clear there was not some sort of founding father's type of moment when one pocket rules were made. There weren't a bunch of guys anguishing about what would be best, and what would not work. Therefore, I think it is reasonable to change rules like this that have been implemented and ingrained, however unpopular. An ob jumping off the table has to be deemed as a foul in any situation.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
But that begs the question, why in the world should you have to.

Nobody can agree on these things, but objectively speaking I would hope we could all agree an ob flying off the table should be a foul. I guess not though. Another example of the clumsy nature in which the one pocket rules were created. What about the whole balls being frozen, or close to it push rule? You think we could clear that up sometime in the next decade?

I personally think it is clear there was not some sort of founding father's type of moment when one pocket rules were made. There weren't a bunch of guys anguishing about what would be best, and what would not work. Therefore, I think it is reasonable to change rules like this that have been implemented and ingrained, however unpopular. An ob jumping off the table has to be deemed as a foul in any situation.

I agree it should be a foul, and it usually is anymore, but you have to consider the difference in a tournament match and a gambling match. There are considerably more gambling matches going on than tournament play, even though the recent popularity of one pocket tournaments is growing.

If we are gambling, and I really want to play you, and you insist that object balls off the table are not a foul, guess what, no foul.

The main thing IMO is to get down and play. A couple differences of opinion on some of the rules will not keep me on the bench.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Another example of the clumsy nature in which the one pocket rules were created.

Since it wasn't a straight pool tourney, and their were no one pocket tourneys, fouls only on the CB were made for one pocket.
I know you really love to argue, :frus so this is my last word on the subject.
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
If we are gambling, and I really want to play you, and you insist that object balls off the table are not a foul, guess what, no foul.

The main thing IMO is to get down and play. A couple differences of opinion on some of the rules will not keep me on the bench.

This, by John, explains it perfectly.

- Ghost

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
I agree it should be a foul, and it usually is anymore, but you have to consider the difference in a tournament match and a gambling match. There are considerably more gambling matches going on than tournament play, even though the recent popularity of one pocket tournaments is growing.

LOL, in gambling, everything is negotiable. I agree with that.

Good to see guys mixing it up on this site. I was getting bored with the same ol' on AZB.....Now I need to work on my signature and avatar on this site :)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Hey John, You've got that right! I was lost out in the boonies of Penn. and happened on a ratty old pool room. I stepped in of course and there is this guy banging balls on one of the tables. So I ask this guy if he wants to play some pool for ten or twenty a game. He agreed and wanted to play eight ball. Of course, eight ball. The game where the rules change from place to place as quickly as billboards on a highway. We settle on all the standard rules that I can think of that might have an impact on the game, call all shots, scratch on the eight you loose, stuff like that.

We start to play but it takes only two or three shots for the shit to hit the fan. I call a ball in the corner pocket and it slides along the side rail and falls in. He jumps up and says "You didn't call that." What he means is I didn't call the shot touching the side rail as it approached the pocket. What would you do? I said, "Okay, no problem."

That wasn't the end of this nuts rules. He also claimed you had to call balls going in off the pocket facings! "No problem"

He went for nine games after I put down the two hour ultra stall.

The more rules in place the better it is for the better player. The tighter the pockets the better it is for the better player. The better player will win regardless of the obstacles as long as those obstacles are the same for both players.
Restrictive rules hamper the weaker player far more than they do the stronger player. Better players adapt better and quicker.
Tom

Last edited: