Object Ball Foul

mn90403

From
Santa Monica, CA
A situation came up in a game today and I would like to know how it would be interpreted. Here is the situation: A ball is in the opponent's pocket. It is pocketed by an object ball and the object ball jumps off the table. Does the opponents ball stay down or come up?

Here is a similar situation that is more clear: A ball is in the opponent's pocket. It is pocketed by the cue ball and the cue ball jumps off the table. Does the opponents ball stay down or come up?

According to rule 6-2 it is very clearly stated that the opponent's ball comes out and the shooter must spot it and a penalty ball. We all play this rule 'without question' from either player.

It is not so clear when it is an object ball that does the pocketing and the jumping off the table.

What are your interpretations of 'any other foul is committed?'

Thank you.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
A situation came up in a game today and I would like to know how it would be interpreted. Here is the situation: A ball is in the opponent's pocket. It is pocketed by an object ball and the object ball jumps off the table. Does the opponents ball stay down or come up?

Here is a similar situation that is more clear: A ball is in the opponent's pocket. It is pocketed by the cue ball and the cue ball jumps off the table. Does the opponents ball stay down or come up?

According to rule 6-2 it is very clearly stated that the opponent's ball comes out and the shooter must spot it and a penalty ball. We all play this rule 'without question' from either player.

It is not so clear when it is an object ball that does the pocketing and the jumping off the table.

What are your interpretations of 'any other foul is committed?'

Thank you.

In our area.. a ball off the table is a foul. I'm sure it is played differently in other places though depending on the house rules.

Dudley

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I believe that if an object ball jumps the table after pocketing a ball in your opponents pocket the ball counts for your opponent, and the shooter is penalized one ball. However, if the cue ball jumps the table after pocketing a ball in your opponents pocket the ball is re-spotted along with one of the shooters balls.

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I believe that if an object ball jumps the table after pocketing a ball in your opponents pocket the ball counts for your opponent, and the shooter is penalized one ball. However, if the cue ball jumps the table after pocketing a ball in your opponents pocket the ball is re-spotted along with one of the shooters balls.

Dr. Bill
That is the way it is in the official onepocket.org rules. In some areas of the country they have traditionally played that an object ball off the table is not a foul. But either way, the pocketed ball would stay down and count for the opponent, because an object ball jumping the table is not one of the two kinds of foul that bring up an opponent's pocketed ball -- that's only a pocket scratch or the cue ball jumping the table.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I have often wondered what would be wrong with letting the incoming, non-fouling player choose if he wants the ball down or spotted in many of these instances. It also comes up where a guy makes a huge blunder, owes a ball, and pulls the ball out to pay it up and it blocks every shot the non-fouler has. Why can't you just "decline" in one pocket. I know it is just the way we play, but why? Is there some inherent flaw in my thinking besides "we just don't play like that (pound chest)?

To belabor the point, take op's scenario. I just don't see any reason why his opponent's blunder should not hurt him to the max. What if his opponent left him out if the ball is spotted, but if not he is in a tough spot. I think being his call would be a good rule - blast away :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I have often wondered what would be wrong with letting the incoming, non-fouling player choose if he wants the ball down or spotted in many of these instances. It also comes up where a guy makes a huge blunder, owes a ball, and pulls the ball out to pay it up and it blocks every shot the non-fouler has. Why can't you just "decline" in one pocket. I know it is just the way we play, but why? Is there some inherent flaw in my thinking besides "we just don't play like that (pound chest)?

To belabor the point, take op's scenario. I just don't see any reason why his opponent's blunder should not hurt him to the max. What if his opponent left him out if the ball is spotted, but if not he is in a tough spot. I think being his call would be a good rule - blast away :)

TD,

Poolplayers have two very strong aversions. One is towards working. The other is towards thinking.

There are other rules they follow because "that's the way we do it so STFU". They ain't geniuses.

RBL

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Thank you.

This situation was never a foul in Detroit. The ball stayed down and the jumped ball spotted up. I don't know how they play it now but I would never play "object ball off the table is a foul".

Dennis

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The reason object ball off the table is not a foul is because most money robbing pool players don't know how to read a rule book:p

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The reason object ball off the table is not a foul is because most money robbing pool players don't know how to read a rule book:p

That's because they don't play in leagues or tournaments, where all the hackers carry rule books with them.
Many play it's a foul now, as I'm always gambling I play fouls on the CB only.
Rod.
P.S. I know I'm old, but many of the newer rules seem stupid and a recipe for trouble. I.E That ball was gonna come across here and it woulda hit that ob that was touched (maybe). :frus

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
That's because they don't play in leagues or tournaments, where all the hackers carry rule books with them.
Rod.
P.S. I know I'm old, but many of the newer rules seem stupid and a recipe for trouble. I.E That ball was gonna come across here and it woulda hit that ob that was touched (maybe). :frus

Oh, you mean when some old timer massages a few ball on his stroke, then shoots. A little stick English:rolleyes:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Oh, you mean when some old timer massages a few ball on his stroke, then shoots. A little stick English:rolleyes:

Early in my playing days I studied straight pool and we didn't play that hanky panky BS make up your own rules crap.

You knock a ball of the table, that's a foul. A little stick or hand English, that's a foul.

When I moved to Detroit and started learning 1P, I realized the 1P players had their own rules. Wedge the CB into the facing, jump balls of the table, maybe a few others I don't remember.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Early in my playing days I studied straight pool and we didn't play that hanky panky BS make up your own rules crap.

You knock a ball of the table, that's a foul. A little stick or hand English, that's a foul.

When I moved to Detroit and started learning 1P, I realized the 1P players had their own rules. Wedge the CB into the facing, jump balls of the table, maybe a few others I don't remember.

I saw two road hustlers from back east playing 100 points of straight pool, to see who did the laundry. Only straight pool I saw for many years. :)
Rod.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Rod.

I'm with you, Rod. If these league players ever start playing one pocket, it won't be long before they'll let the jump cue in.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I saw two road hustlers from back east playing 100 points of straight pool, to see who did the laundry. Only straight pool I saw for many years. :)
Rod.

Damn Rod, only 100 points? When they were playing here for seeing who did the laundry they played 14.1 to 150 points AND a race to 25 pts. at 3-Cushion Billiards:p.

In truth, I did see one decent 14.1 match-up for a few bucks once. JR Gay was playing Richie Richeson. I don't remember the points they were playing to but RR ran 94 balls. It was the worst-run 94 balls in history and Willie Mosconi probably would've killed himself if he'd seen it but it was still a 94 ball run. Richie lost the game:eek:. 14.1 is sometimes knowing when to play a safety rather than shoot a tough shot, somewhat like One-Pocket.

14.1 is a great game and I'm very happy that I quit playing it before I got to my upper speed:D. I don't think I ever ran more than 30 or 40 balls.

RBL