Now What would you do.

wincardona

Verified Member
"wwyd...not as easy this time" < Very interesting discussion on why sending both balls down table was right, or wrong..I say right

In the "Now what" thread we had a lengthy discussion on the correct option, which was really a discussion on why the around the table option wasn't correct.:heh Yes I agree.

Lets look at the position of the 1ball in the "Now what" thread and place the 1ball 6" closer to the hanging 5ball, shooter now only needs one ball. Now what would you do??:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
"wwyd...not as easy this time" < Very interesting discussion on why sending both balls down table was right, or wrong..I say right

In the "Now what" thread we had a lengthy discussion on the correct option, which was really a discussion on why the around the table option wasn't correct.:heh Yes I agree.

Lets look at the position of the 1ball in the "Now what" thread and place the 1ball 6" closer to the hanging 5ball, shooter now only needs one ball. Now what would you do??:D

Dr. Bill
Can someone put the attachment up on the "what now" thread to show the position, or better yet, can someone put the revised position up with the 1ball 6" closer to the 5ball? Please..Thanks.:eek::eek::D:D

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Here you go Bill, I think this is what you're looking for. Two angles in case that helps you.

Attachments

wincardona

Verified Member
second angle.
Thank you Tom, this position is imo more debatable whether to play the carom sending the 1ball toward your pocket and spotting the 5ball on the foot spot, or playing another shot. In this position the 5ball will be positioned on the foot spot, not like in the other thread where the 5ball would most likely end up in the quadrant closest to your pocket, big difference. The shooter needs only one ball. What would you do?

I will be back later today or tonight to give you my take on this debatable option/options

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
In this position the 5ball will be positioned on the foot spot, not like in the other thread where the 5ball would most likely end up in the quadrant closest to your pocket, big difference. The shooter needs only one ball. What would you do?

I will be back later today or tonight to give you my take on this debatable option/options

Dr. Bill[/QUOTE]

Bill, I think I'm missing something here.

Tom

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
As I see it the one ball is my game ball, I'm not gonna risk a poor hit on the 1/ 5 combo here, even though it appears to be a simple shot. Things can go wrong anytime on speed combination shots like this one, and putting both balls in play should be avoided. Again, I consider the one ball to be my game ball and I would probably try to get it close to my hole on a two rail bank, sending the CB around the table 4 rails and ending up back close to the 5 ball. The only real danger I can see with this choice is a possible collision between the one and the CB when their paths near each other. Other than that possibility, I like it.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
As I see it the one ball is my game ball, I'm not gonna risk a poor hit on the 1/ 5 combo here, even though it appears to be a simple shot. Things can go wrong anytime on speed combination shots like this one, and putting both balls in play should be avoided. Again, I consider the one ball to be my game ball and I would probably try to get it close to my hole on a two rail bank, sending the CB around the table 4 rails and ending up back close to the 5 ball. The only real danger I can see with this choice is a possible collision between the one and the CB when their paths near each other. Other than that possibility, I like it.[/QUOTE
Looks to me like the angle you have to hit the ball for the 2 railer to get close the kiss might be on as soon as you hit it. If not is there a way to tell for sure on this type shot? These always give me fits.

beatle

Verified Member
that one ball is too close to the pocket and too close to the rail to make a good enough bank to get it close enough to do much good. plus letting your cue ball run here isnt the smartest.

its between making a safe you like or the carom. i still would do the carom as that other ball is going to get back in play soon anyway

lll

Verified Member
As I see it the one ball is my game ball, I'm not gonna risk a poor hit on the 1/ 5 combo here, even though it appears to be a simple shot. Things can go wrong anytime on speed combination shots like this one, and putting both balls in play should be avoided. Again, I consider the one ball to be my game ball and I would probably try to get it close to my hole on a two rail bank, sending the CB around the table 4 rails and ending up back close to the 5 ball. The only real danger I can see with this choice is a possible collision between the one and the CB when their paths near each other. Other than that possibility, I like it.[/QUOTE
Looks to me like the angle you have to hit the ball for the 2 railer to get close the kiss might be on as soon as you hit it. If not is there a way to tell for sure on this type shot? These always give me fits.
ive been told if its a half ball hit for this multi rail bank (especially the 3 railer) there is a greater chance of a kiss on these type of banks
where the cue ball and object ball are "crossing" around the table
bill smith im sure has much better experience and knowledge for this
so i defer to him

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I am not expert enough to know that the cueball and object ball are not going to collide somewhere in the box near my pocket.
I've also watched thousands of guys who think they know , run into this kind of shot.
I would just kick the 5 in.{Realistically he's probably just going to pocket the one , have both balls on the spot and we restart from there.} I'm 90 to 95% or above to make the kick. {my kick game is waaay above the rest of it.}
{ actually I would be rooting for him to be frozen on the rail and miscue and sell out the game , but that sounds kinda cheesy}.:lol
About the worst case scenario on this shot is that I don't make the 5 and spot a ball and we both need 2 , I would be mad as hell at myself but at least I wouldn't have lost the game trying to cross paths.
Someone asked if there was a way to judge these type shots , I'm under the belief that a half ball hit sends the object ball and cue ball about the same distance and it looks like to make the ball come close is a half ball hit , also both balls are going to play big coming in and out of that quadrant.
If my opponent wasn't an upper echelon player I would be hoping he shot the 2 railer.
Looking at it again a half ball seems too thick to go 2 rails with the 1, I still wouldn't shoot it for anything over 10 dollars.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
Thank you Tom, this position is imo more debatable whether to play the carom sending the 1ball toward your pocket and spotting the 5ball on the foot spot, or playing another shot. In this position the 5ball will be positioned on the foot spot, not like in the other thread where the 5ball would most likely end up in the quadrant closest to your pocket, big difference. The shooter needs only one ball. What would you do?

Dr. Bill
The 5-ball position favors me so I don't want to move it. The two-rail looks kissy-risky with an additional chance of leaving a good cross-corner. So, I'm gonna put the 1 as close to the 5 as I can and the CB on the long rail.

bstroud

Verified Member
Playing for serious money I am not making the 5 ball when I need only one ball.

In this situation I would thin the one ball on the right with right English and concentrate on putting the one ball near the side rail and freezing the cue ball after two rails on the end rail near my pocket.

Sure he can 3 rail the one ball but if you hit it well and at least put the cue ball on the rail it is a very difficult shot and you will probably get a bank at your pocket to win.

Bill S.

androd

Verified Member
A little unusual, in the "not so easy" thread everyone thought, even needing one you'd shoot'em both down table but here everyone says "no way" :frus
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
A little unusual, in the "not so easy" thread everyone thought, even needing one you'd shoot'em both down table but here everyone says "no way" :frus
Rod.
You got it Rod, that's the response that I was looking for, allow me to explain the difference with the two positions. In the "not so easy" thread both the 1ball and 5ball were lined to go to your quadrant of the table, giving you the chance to make either ball for the win, not true with this position. Also in the other thread both balls figured to be close to the pocket if missed quite possibly creating problems for your opponent to move one safely, not true with this position. In this position the 5ball will be spotted offering the next shooter an easy exit to the bottom rail by crossing over the 5ball and then dropping to the bottom rail. Also in this position the cue ball will be on your opponents side of the table after shooting the carom, from there there's more of a possibility to come up with a cross corner bank and possibly win the game. In the other thread if you notice the cue ball would be on your side of the table taking away just about all cross corner banks, plus there will be another ball in your quadrant which may preclude him from trying one if it did appear. Also in the other thread the 5ball is not out of play like it is here, as long as it's not out of play then moving it to your quadrant with protection can't be bad.

So you can clearly see the difference in the two positions, I believe in this position if you play the carom you're losing value because of the problems that could easily develop with shooting a shot that is much easier to envision the results.

I say play conservatively in this position, and leave the 5ball where it is, however, in the "not so easy" thread you're losing value if you don't shoot the carom.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
The 5-ball position favors me so I don't want to move it. The two-rail looks kissy-risky with an additional chance of leaving a good cross-corner. So, I'm gonna put the 1 as close to the 5 as I can and the CB on the long rail.
Not a bad choice at all, i'm looking to do the same or something similar. The hanging ball is out of play which makes you a big favorite to win the game, no need to put it back in play unless you know it will benefit you.

Dr. Bill

mr3cushion

Suspended
ive been told if its a half ball hit for this multi rail bank (especially the 3 railer) there is a greater chance of a kiss on these type of banks
where the cue ball and object ball are "crossing" around the table
bill smith im sure has much better experience and knowledge for this
so i defer to him
Sorry Larry for the delayed reply.

Here's how I see what's going to happen if played as suggested! The kiss will occur in the shaded circle on the table!

View attachment 11921

There is a way to 'Beat' the kiss and still acquire the results needed.

I'll save it for later, to see if anyone has another idea!

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Now What would you do.

Here's how I see what's going to happen if played as suggested! The kiss will occur in the shaded circle on the table!

View attachment 11921

To beat that kiss Bill, could you over cut it just a hair and hit the cue with draw to lengthen/alter the Path of the cue and let the draw compensate and lengthen the OB path to the original desired path?

mr3cushion

Suspended

To beat that kiss Bill, could you over cut it just a hair and hit the cue with draw to lengthen/alter the Path of the cue and let the draw compensate and lengthen the OB path to the original desired path?

Mitch; Lets see if others have a thought on this, and then I reveal what I feel is a viable solution! I Think everyone will be a little surprised!

onepockethacker

Verified Member

View attachment 11921

Bill, what about playing the shot like a billiard shot. Meaning bank the 1 ball 2 rails as suggested but instead of having the cue ball take the suggested path why not put left english on it and play the cue ball side rail, side rail, end rail, side rail and back down table on your side. That way there is no chance of catching a kiss or leaving a cross corner bank