Norman 'Jockey' Howard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I just finished preparing and uploading my interview with the late 'Jockey' Howard. I had done the interview quite a while back, in 2006, but never fully transcribed and prepared it for the web. I just recently found out that the Jockey had died last year, so it seemed fitting to finish it up.

http://www.onepocket.org/NormanJockeyHoward.htm

I've got more interviews in various stages... including more from deceased players to get to.

bstroud

Verified Member
I played Jockey several times in various places. Won every time playing 9 ball.

The guy in Layton OK was Bert Walker. Puckett took me there to play him when I was young.

If you kept him loser he would lose a lot. Pretty good player.

Bill S.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I played Jockey several times in various places. Won every time playing 9 ball.

The guy in Layton OK was Bert Walker. Puckett took me there to play him when I was young.

If you kept him loser he would lose a lot. Pretty good player.

Bill S.
Thank you Bill! I think Donny Anderson also talked about going with Clem to Lawton. I don't think he remembered the name of the guy either, lol.

Probably on the list to "avoid" for 9-ball out in OK back then was the late Norman Hitchcock.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Thank you Bill! I think Donny Anderson also talked about going with Clem to Lawton. I don't think he remembered the name of the guy either, lol.

Probably on the list to "avoid" for 9-ball out in OK back then was the late Norman Hitchcock.

Had not heard that Hitchcock, or the Jockey, had passed Steve !.. Do you know any details ? Bert Walker (Lawton) was on everybody play list for years !..For the longest time, Hitch, and Herman the German, were about the only real action in OKC...They were both around my age, maybe a little older ! Herman was a good guy..I hear he has become a recluse in his dotage ?

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Had not heard that Hitchcock, or the Jockey, had passed Steve !.. Do you know any details ? Bert Walker (Lawton) was on everybody play list for years !..For the longest time, Hitch, and Herman the German, were about the only real action in OKC...They were both around my age, maybe a little older ! Herman was a good guy..I hear he has become a recluse in his dotage ?

Herman has come out for Derby City at least twice while I have been there -- seemed personable to me. Maybe he does not play anymore and no longer frequents the local rooms (if they are still open :( )

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Herman has come out for Derby City at least twice while I have been there -- seemed personable to me. Maybe he does not play anymore and no longer frequents the local rooms (if they are still open :( )

Yes, I used to stay with him, and his family when in OKC...I Heard the recluse story (after his wife passed)..from a good mutual friend !..Last saw Hitchcock at Gradys '98 Tournament, in Baton Rouge..Have not seen, or talked to Herman, in 35 yrs. Does anyone out there have a current ph. number on him ?