No records

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Most of the things I know of Wade aren't in any record book, like how for 3 or 4 years we'd take $10,000 to gamble with at tournaments, I'd play the One Pocket and he the 9 Ball.We never did get played but there times when one of us would get on the mike and challenge anybody.
I loved him. We often would room together and share money, even carouse with wild ladies. His humor was dry as it gets and it would take you a while to get it.
One year in the 80's he won the biggest tournment, more prize money than any player, shot a perfect.1000 in a major finals.The same year, Efren had a great year and so did Sigel yet the prevailing mag gave Earl PLayer Of The Year.
He would come to my place in Colorado and Lord, what a time we'd have. As many of you don't know I had wide open craps and poker.
Man, I cried at the prospect of losing Billy.
One time he put glue on a lady players seat while she was playing a match.

JAM

Verified Member
Thanks for sharing the memories, Grady. I know they are special.

I have been trying to gather some data, and I have been successful in some respects. Maybe you can help me with some dates and names on two events.

Wade Crane versus Louie Roberts in 1976. Who won? Was it a finals? Where was it, and what was the tournament?

Here's a picture from Wade's website.

Attachments

• photo-wade-crane-3[1].jpg
    photo-wade-crane-3[1].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
Here is another one. Wade Crane versus Ronnie Allen.

The picture says it is the finals, but it doesn't have a date or place. Plus, who won?

Attachments

• photo-wade-crane-5[1].jpg
    photo-wade-crane-5[1].jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
JAM said:
Thanks for sharing the memories, Grady. I know they are special.

I have been trying to gather some data, and I have been successful in some respects. Maybe you can help me with some dates and names on two events.

Wade Crane versus Louie Roberts in 1976. Who won? Was it a finals? Where was it, and what was the tournament?

Here's a picture from Wade's website.
There were actually two US Opens in 1979 (I think) -- the first year (maybe) that Barry Behrman was involved. They had One Pocket at one of them, too. I believe Louie Roberts won one of them. I do not know if this is from either of these. It also looks like it could be Beenie's old place????? He had tournaments around that time. Got to check the old NBN's.

edit 1979 not 1976

JAM

Verified Member
Here's a little pool smut I just discovered, poring through the pool periodicals, looking for Wade Crane data. Most pool aficionados, of course, know about the infamous Red's Open 9-Ball Championship held in Houston in 1985.

Wade Crane went undefeated in the tournament to the finals until he met Efren Reyes, who was at this time shooting pool under an alias of "Cesar Morales."

The irony, however, was that Wade happened to be the only other player in the 108-man field that also used an alias of "Billy Johnson" when he took second-place honors. The final score was 13 to 9.

This was the first tournament that a then-unknown Efren Reyes, a pool champion from the Republic of Philippines, competed in on American soil.

Reference: "Morales Stuns Field at Red's", Accu-Stats: A Statistical Analysis of 9-Ball Billiards, January 1-February 2, 1985, Volume 1, Number 1.

How's that for some pool data?! :p

JAM

Verified Member
onepocket said:
There were actually two US Opens in 1979 (I think) -- the first year (maybe) that Barry Behrman was involved. They had One Pocket at one of them, too. I believe Louie Roberts won one of them. I do not know if this is from either of these. It also looks like it could be Beenie's old place????? He had tournaments around that time. Got to check the old NBN's.

edit 1979 not 1976

I have all those NBNs from 1975 to 1985, so thanks for the lead. :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:
Here's a little pool smut I just discovered, poring through the pool periodicals, looking for Wade Crane data. Most pool aficionados, of course, know about the infamous Red's Open 9-Ball Championship held in Houston in 1985.

Wade Crane went undefeated in the tournament to the finals until he met Efren Reyes, who was at this time shooting pool under an alias of "Cesar Morales."

The irony, however, was that Wade happened to be the only other player in the 108-man field that also used an alias of "Billy Johnson" when he took second-place honors. The final score was 13 to 9.

This was the first tournament that a then-unknown Efren Reyes, a pool champion from the Republic of Philippines, competed in on American soil.

Reference: "Morales Stuns Field at Red's", Accu-Stats: A Statistical Analysis of 9-Ball Billiards, January 1-February 2, 1985, Volume 1, Number 1.

I was remembering that too -- but hadn't located the article yet. two pseudonyms in the finals, lol

JAM

Verified Member
Here is the latest article from 11 Alive News: "Local Pool Legend Dies in Car Crash."

They've got a few quotes from Jerry Forsyth and a friend of Wade Crane's for 40 years named Jack Lindsay. I'm not sure I know who Jack is. It is very well written and a nice article.

I love this picture of him that's in the article from 11 Alive News. I wonder where they got it. I would much rather use this photo than the photo currently on the Wiki article: Wade Crane's Wiki Page

Attachments

• genthumb[1].jpg
    genthumb[1].jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
JAM said:

Hey, where did you get those Accu-Stats?:D

JAM

Verified Member
JG-in-KY said:
Hey, where did you get those Accu-Stats?:D

I cannot tell a lie. It a gift from a very handsome, kind, generous, young man from Kentucky with the initials J.G. :p

beatle

Verified Member
i dont know the age of the picture with him in the tie. but thats how he looked in the early 1970's

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
JAM said:
I cannot tell a lie. It a gift from a very handsome, kind, generous, young man from Kentucky with the initials J.G. :p

No, it was me JAM! Ha Ha. I think it is very thoughtful what you are doing to keep this great players legacy alive. You are an outstanding writer and you sure do your research well. Still waiting anxiously for the tales of Keith. Thanks also go out to Terry and all the rest who have contributed to his memory and funeral expenses.
My father always harps on me to write down life's memories as it will be important to others, especially loved ones down the road. Where would we be without Steve and this great website. Without this site/Hall of Fame a lot of these players might have faded from our memories forever. I sure wish we could honor them all, WHILE they are still alive.