Newbees wwyd

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
How about firing into the 8ball which will squeeze the 10 into the 12 and the 12 hits the 15 towards your pocket, sticking the CB on the 8. This would move a lot of balls to your side. The safest shot would be to either one or 2 rail the 3, but wouldn't be a game changer in my opinion.--Smitty

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Thank you all for playing.
I've chosen two of your suggestions and executed each of them a few times to get the best possible results. Here are those results. I haven't learned how to place both images on the same page yet so bare with me please.
The first result image comes from MKelley and his idea of banking the 11 ball into the bottom of the three. (post #7 ). The eleven ball went into the upper left hand pocket and had to be spotted.

The second image comes from the result of mhilton's choice in post #5 and can be seen on the next page. This is my choice too. The key the this shot is to get a ball on the bottom rail and the cue ball nestled into the stack. This shot can actually be hit fairly hard. By driving the cue ball firmly into the stack you can dislodge one or two more balls into position on your side of the table.

Attachments

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Here is the type of result I look for in these scenarios. This is from the two rail shot with a draw stroke into the stack.

Notice also that this opponent must also defend against giving up a bank on the eleven. Many times you will find that a ball on your side rail is not always an asset.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

kingrichardthelionheart

Verified Member
Here is the type of result I look for in these scenarios. This is from the two rail shot with a draw stroke into the stack.

Notice also that this opponent must also defend against giving up a bank on the eleven. Many times you will find that a ball on your side rail is not always an asset.

Tom
that trace around the rack looks tilted.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I see what you mean but it isn't. Just an illusion. Happens all the time.

Jakie

Verified Member
Wwyd

Wwyd

Hi Tom-
What do think of playing the one-railer on the 3ball and bringing the cue off of the long rail to the stack? I think the you will pocket the 1 rail more often than the 2 railer and get the same safety position.Make the 3,bank the 11and you should win the game.Good thread.

Nick

boingo

Verified Member
... Notice also that this opponent must also defend against giving up a bank on the eleven. Many times you will find that a ball on your side rail is not always an asset.

Tom
That's for sure, and learning to be aware of these and look for them is good tidbit to take away from this thread.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Hi Tom-
What do think of playing the one-railer on the 3ball and bringing the cue off of the long rail to the stack? I think the you will pocket the 1 rail more often than the 2 railer and get the same safety position.Make the 3,bank the 11and you should win the game.Good thread.

Nick
Yes Nick, Very possible, but in this example I am trying to illustrate how a move can be as powerful as the pocketing of a ball. Sometimes a situation such as this one will come up but there will be no path for the straight back or the two railer. That should not stop you from shooting the same two rail bank and sticking the cue ball in that stack. Newbees tend to look solely for open shots. I want to change that kind of thinking.

Thanks Nick, :)

Tom

Mkelley

Verified Member
Thank you all for playing.
I've chosen two of your suggestions and executed each of them a few times to get the best possible results. Here are those results. I haven't learned how to place both images on the same page yet so bare with me please.
The first result image comes from MKelley and his idea of banking the 11 ball into the bottom of the three. (post #7 ). The eleven ball went into the upper left hand pocket and had to be spotted.

The second image comes from the result of mhilton's choice in post #5 and can be seen on the next page. This is my choice too. The key the this shot is to get a ball on the bottom rail and the cue ball nestled into the stack. This shot can actually be hit fairly hard. By driving the cue ball firmly into the stack you can dislodge one or two more balls into position on your side of the table.

I really like the look of this! As far as the other shot I like that to which would you consider to be more productive and why? What would you do next in both shots?

12squared

Verified Member
How about firing into the 8ball which will squeeze the 10 into the 12 and the 12 hits the 15 towards your pocket, sticking the CB on the 8. This would move a lot of balls to your side. The safest shot would be to either one or 2 rail the 3, but wouldn't be a game changer in my opinion.--Smitty
This is what I though of doing too, even stunning the cue ball to go forward a half of ball to rest it on the 1 ball. It really looked like there a good chance of making the 15, but that would be a bonus.

Tom, it's your posts that inspired me to post that shot of mine. Thanks!
Dave

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
This is what I though of doing too, even stunning the cue ball to go forward a half of ball to rest it on the 1 ball. It really looked like there a good chance of making the 15, but that would be a bonus.

Dave
Thank you for letting me know that, Dave. I would hope everyone here can find a way to start posting a few situations. I have a table here at home which makes it easy but even if it takes going to the pool room with your digital camera or Iphone go for it. If you see a situation which you believe to be interesting you should snap a pic. of it and post up. :)

Tom

lll

Verified Member
dont see any angle that makes smitty's or your shot possible......:confused:........:confused:
and if you did move some balls toward your side i dont know how you wouldnt leave a bank
icbw
tt2.jpg

androd

Verified Member
dont see any angle that makes smitty's or your shot possible......:confused:........:confused:
and if you did move some balls toward your side i dont know how you wouldnt leave a bank
icbw
View attachment 9300
I believe the 15 ball would get real close to going. Have to try and stop there and not leave a shot at the 11 ball.
Rod.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
icbw
View attachment 9300
Hi Larry, You saw the result I posted on this shot, right? I was consistent in getting the cue ball deep into the stack with this angle. Maybe if you look at the second image I posted you will have a better perspective for the shot.
There was nothing special I did to get the cue ball there. I just drew the cue ball on a slight angle off the three.

As far as smitty's shot; I could set that up and take a wack at it but the real issue with his shot is the risk factor. That shot requires spreading most all the balls wide open and I don't like doing that unless I know exactly what is going to happen. I had better be making a ball in my hole or I had better have some serious cover for the cue ball. I don't see either of these qualifications being a given.

Tom

lll

Verified Member

Dave
Hi Larry, You saw the result I posted on this shot, right? I was consistent in getting the cue ball deep into the stack with this angle. Maybe if you look at the second image I posted you will have a better perspective for the shot.
There was nothing special I did to get the cue ball there. I just drew the cue ball on a slight angle off the three.

As far as smitty's shot; I could set that up and take a wack at it but the real issue with his shot is the risk factor. That shot requires spreading most all the balls wide open and I don't like doing that unless I know exactly what is going to happen. I had better be making a ball in my hole or I had better have some serious cover for the cue ball. I don't see either of these qualifications being a given.

Tom
tom i was refferring tp 12squared not you
your (tom) shots were perfectly clear....:)

lll

Verified Member

Dave
how can driving the eight ball cause the ten ball to get the 12 to go sideways into the 15???
toms other view it seems possible from this view it does not to me
i must be reading the stack wrong on this one....:eek:
im getting old perhaps a new year resolution should be a trip to the eye doctor....:D
tt3.jpg