newbees wwyd #4

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Okay, This is the first of a two part basic trainer. The first shot should be simple to recognize, so you must use this example to figure out the proper response to the second of the two situations. That second shot I will post tomorrow.

I hope you all are enjoying this, and to all you experienced players out there please remember that I'm only doing this to help the newbees learn to see the game in a new way. Most of them already know how to shoot and how to manipulate the cue ball for position play but they may be lacking in the moving part of the game. All you players who have been around the game a long time may find some of this stuff boring and basic but those new to the game must learn an appreciation for the "game within the game".

Tom

Attachments

NH Steve

Administrator
Okay, I'll bite. I believe I would pass on trying to make the 13 ball bank, because it would be tough to hold the cue ball if it did not go, and shooting over the stack would make it tougher to shoot. If I did bank it, it would be almost straight ahead to skim it off the bottom of the rack, bringing whitey back toward where it is.

Alternately, since I already have a "ball up and a ball down" in the 3 and the 11 -- that is, one off the side of my pocket and the other above my pocket -- I might jack up and nudge another ball lightly over toward my side, killing the cue ball right there in the midst of the cluster.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Verified Member
4 into the 6 into the 11. leave the Q in the cluster.

Last edited:

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
I'm shooting the 13 back into the stack, trying to stun the CB and move more balls towards my hole.--Smitty

senor

Verified Member
As long as you're confident you can put a good stroke on it, I think you're supposed to jack up and spear the 8, trying the leave the cue ball where it is in the stack. First, you keep your position. Second, it could double up balls on your opponent's side.

Island Drive

Verified Member
My first inclination is to shoot the 4/6 combo off the stripe leaving the six in front of pocket.

wincardona

Verified Member
In this type of a situation there's no question in my mind what would be the best attack method to choose. The shooter has an distinct advantage by moving balls/ball and leaving his opponent in the stack. Forget about shooting away from the stack with whitey, anyone looking to do that is inviting trouble from a 'no lose' position. The question should be...do you shoot off the 8ball and move balls, or do you shoot straight ahead off the 4ball and move only the 6ball to a better position? Imo you should shoot off the 8ball with speed and disturb the possible 12-8 combination along with the 14 and 2 balls. Your opponents side as it is is very strong should he get a shot he could cause some serious damage. However, by jacking up and shooting the 8ball you will certainly rearrange the furniture and at the same time position the cue ball in the stack area. So, with that method you certainly get a lot of work done with one stroke of the cue.:D

Bill Incardona

petie

Verified Member
Being of the opinion that "good traps create shots by forcing errors," I would go off the 8 very lightly and bury the cue ball inside the alcove to in the stack.

12squared

Verified Member
If you could cue the cueball with left, what about hitting the 13 fully but on the left side and two-railing the cue back into the stack?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Well though there were many good solutions offered, my solution is somewhat different. Let me explain my thinking regarding the various solutions which were offered.

The idea of shooting into the four ball and bumping the six nearer to your pocket would be a fine answer but what might have been difficult to see is that there is very little room between the cue ball and the four making that hit somewhat rough to avoid fouling.

Shooting into the eight ball with some force makes lots of sense in that it clears away a few balls and disturbs the dead shot which definitely was lined up but you are still leaving that thirteen ball on your opponent's side of the table. Even so it is a good solution.

My solution I must admit is far more aggressive than most players when it comes to safeties and moves. Sometimes these ideas get me in trouble but on most occasions I reap great dividends with this aggressiveness. I used to practice this stuff regularly which helped greatly with my confidence and my vision for inventiveness. I suggest you do the same thing.

I like banking off the low side of the thirteen sending it toward the two ball and playing the cue ball two rails and back into the pocket of balls in approximately same area of the stack as it is now. You will see the result in the next image.

I am constantly looking for ways to bury my opponent in such rounded areas of the stack. I see these areas as though they were a catchers mitt which gives me great margin for moving the cue ball.

Now is it necessary to get all this done on the one shot? Maybe not. But good players are very resourceful and that thirteen ball if left there may cause me problems down the road. If I can accomplish more on the one shot without greater risk than that's the shot for me.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
If you could cue the cueball with left, what about hitting the 13 fully but on the left side and two-railing the cue back into the stack?
12squared, Although there were a few fine shot selections which would qualify as being correct answers to this problem yours matched my thinking and therefore my cookie goes to you. You got your answer in just as I was posting mine. Nice timing sir! :)

Tom

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wow. I must confess that I never would have thought of that. Nice! I like it. I was going to either punch the 13 with left Back into the stack, or try to make it and bring the cue 3 rails to the opponents pocket. (Likely a sell out for a bank if I miss)

Island Drive

Verified Member
Also, I like aiming at the five and thus be cutting the four ball slightly, which creates a very natural speed angle to control the six ball combo/carom. It's a kinda double pinch draw shot/stickum shot.

wincardona

Verified Member
In this type of a situation there's no question in my mind what would be the best attack method to choose. The shooter has an distinct advantage by moving balls/ball and leaving his opponent in the stack. Forget about shooting away from the stack with whitey, anyone looking to do that is inviting trouble from a 'no lose' position. The question should be...do you shoot off the 8ball and move balls, or do you shoot straight ahead off the 4ball and move only the 6ball to a better position? Imo you should shoot off the 8ball with speed and disturb the possible 12-8 combination along with the 14 and 2 balls. Your opponents side as it is is very strong should he get a shot he could cause some serious damage. However, by jacking up and shooting the 8ball you will certainly rearrange the furniture and at the same time position the cue ball in the stack area. So, with that method you certainly get a lot of work done with one stroke of the cue.:D

Bill Incardona[/QUOTEl

Like I said anyone looking to shoot away from the stack area is just inviting trouble, oops!!!

Excellent shot tom, however, you did end up in the stack which actually was my point but you did it in a more creative way and in doing so you also moved some problematic balls that needed addressed. Excellent shot.

Merry Christmas

Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member

Bill Incardona[/QUOTEl

Like I said anyone looking to shoot away from the stack area is just inviting trouble, oops!!!

Excellent shot tom, however, you did end up in the stack which actually was my point but you did it in a more creative way and in doing so you also moved some problematic balls that needed addressed. Excellent shot.

Merry Christmas

Bill Incardona
Thank You Bill,
Coming from you that is indeed praise. Merry Christmas to you as well.

Tom

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Stack

Stack

6 months ago I would of probably tried to bank the 13 to my hole.

3 months ago I would of probably tried to blast the 13 back into the stack.

Now I would of been torn between 13 back into the stack while playing the cue ball back in the stack OR the nip draw off the 8 and leave them deep in the stack (Protecting the high and low threats I already have).

If I was playing a game for fun I would of gone option 1, if I was playing serious then I would of ducked in the stack.

Dudley

Verified Member
This would have been my option...

Didn't read past the first page before drawing this up.

Dudley

9 dudley.JPG

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
This would have been my option...

Didn't read past the first page before drawing this up.

Dudley

View attachment 9349
Hi Dudley, I too would have preferred shooting the thirteen past the two ball because I really did not want to disturb the "catcher's mitt" before the cue ball reached it but I didn't feel comfortable hitting the thirteen that thin. The last thing I wanted to happen was to run the cue ball two rails and miss hitting that pocket of balls and fall under the stack. I knew that hitting the two ball full in the face or a tad high would disrupt the pocket minimally.

Good observation. You should have posted earlier we have quite a number of savvy One Pocket players here.

Tom