newbee wwyd #6

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I hope we all had a great Christmas celebration and the gifts we gave and received were all that we could hope them to be. May your families and friends all be healthy and happy throughout the coming year.

Now for the next wwyd in the series.

It is early in the game and with no score it is your shot. As you can see, you have several choices. wwyd?

Tom

Attachments

wincardona

Verified Member
Banking the 1ball into the 2ball and dropping behind the three ball cluster offers you the best chance of not only pocketing a ball but also the better trapping shot as well. Also the position of the cue ball after the execution of the shot will offer you a better and easier next shot by far to continue your run in the event that you pocket a ball..

And a Merry Christmas to you as well Tom.:)

Bill Incardona

oldspurguy

Verified Member
Banking the 1ball into the 2ball and dropping behind the three ball cluster offers you the best chance of not only pocketing a ball but also the better trapping shot as well. Also the position of the cue ball after the execution of the shot will offer you a better and easier next shot by far to continue your run in the event that you pocket a ball..

Bill Incardona
Pretty good.... for a newbie. (just kidding, of course):)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member

Bill Incardona
I can't fool you, Bill. Not that I thought I might.
However there may be some without much experience at One Pocket who may have been looking at clearing the nine ball from the closeness of their opponent's pocket and attempt to play into one or more of the balls along the foot rail, hoping to scrape something in their own pocket in the process. This would be a poor choice of shot not only for the reasons you stated but also the cover you spelled out would not be there should things not work out as planned. When you can't protect the white ball with cover down table, the potential of giving up a return bank runs high should you elect to drive into balls along the foot rail.

Tom

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
I saw the shot Billy mentioned and the bank on the 9 and also thought the 1 was the shot to be able to move balls and put him in jail.--Smitty

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
To my eye it looks like shooting the CB far enough right on the 1 ball in order to drop the CB behind the three balls would cause the 1 ball to bank into the 11, not the 2. That would be okay, since it knocks the 10 over to the shooter's side.

But I'd sooner consider banking the 9 ball two rails into the 5, and rolling the CB back into the stack. The 5 ball is bigger with the CB coming off the rail anyway. Then the 9 ball is outta my hair.;)

Doc

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
To my eye it looks like shooting the CB far enough right on the 1 ball in order to drop the CB behind the three balls would cause the 1 ball to bank into the 11, not the 2. That would be okay, since it knocks the 10 over to the shooter's side.

But I'd sooner consider banking the 9 ball two rails into the 5, and rolling the CB back into the stack. The 5 ball is bigger with the CB coming off the rail anyway. Then the 9 ball is outta my hair.;)

Doc
I agree only 2 shots to shoot,Bill's way or Doc's way. I agree with Doc but Bill's way will get the job done also. Doc's way does get the 9 ball out of your way.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member

Doc
Hi Doc, I'd like to say that your idea of banking the nine ball two rails and running the cue ball back into the stack would be a fine shot to attempt except for two critical issues.

First, the stack has too many holes in it. Remember from one of the earlier wwyd threads I mentioned how you want to look for the catcher's mitt within stacks where you can lay the cue ball? Well in this case due to those holes you cannot rely on that mitt, and therefore you speed control and your accuracy coming off the rail must be far greater. Try to avoid that risk when there are other options which may yield great advantages.

The other reason is that you do have the other option of using the one ball to drop down to the bottom rail and use those three balls as cover. Those balls also become a turkey shoot should you pocket the one ball.

You mentioned that the angle may not be there to cut the one enough to drop the cue ball to the intended point and still find the lower half of the two ball. This is accomplished with speed and possibly a touch of left hand English. I know you are aware of what speed and English will do to an object ball as it hits a cushion. The speed on this particular angle coming back into the two ball actually helps hold the one ball on line for the pocket. Don't baby the shot. It must be hit firm.I set this shot up several times and made it four out of four from this angle.

If you wish to practice these types of shot try it this way. Pick a location for both balls so as to play for a half ball hit. This is the key because the half ball hit offers the most consistent carom angle. Start with a ball halfway between the side rails and a bit higher than a diamond from the bottom rail. The ball you want to make should be placed so as to basically shoot straight across. If your carom runs high then move the shot either down table somewhat or more toward your opponent's side rail.

Once you have found the angle which works you will see that there are several combinations of two ball situations which lead to the pocket. The higher the ball to carom off of the more toward your opponent's side rail that ball must be. All the time the ball to be caromed must have a fairly direct and perpendicular route off the side rail.

I hadn't meant to get so detailed with this shot but what the hey, why not?

Tom

bstroud

Verified Member
I saw both shots but I think banking the 9 ball into the 5-13 and drawing the cue ball up the rail will produce the best result.

Good chance to make a ball and have position.

Bill S.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I saw both shots but I think banking the 9 ball into the 5-13 and drawing the cue ball up the rail will produce the best result.

Good chance to make a ball and have position.

Bill S.
Bill, it's hard to beat this result, four times in a row.

Attachments

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Bill Incardona

I like this option because it's easier to do. And if you make a ball, you will get those three other balls almost for sure. That would give you four. Then the nine could become actually another ally for you since it's in supreme banking position for your pocket in case you got out of line, you could roll down there for it, to continue your run and help you get all the way out.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
1 into/off two.

1 into/off two.

Im banking the one off the two and softly squatting behind the wall of balls. Possibly one into stripe/2 if it lays too poor. I would be playing all cueball trying to get a freeze if i felt the one had to go into the two directly
And i would be playing more shape if I felt i had a chance
Of
Playing the one off the two.

Typing on an iphone stinks...

jtompilot

Verified Member
Bill, it's hard to beat this result, four times in a row.
Nice shot Tom.

I'm with Doc on this one except I'm sending the 9 two rails to kick into the 5, drawing the QB up to the 15. This shot leaves the 1 ball as cover and a poor angle to bank the 1 without a major sell out, if the 1 would even pass the balls you left in the banking lane.

If the 5 goes your out. The other shot didn't leave a ball close and there are a couple of ways to escape from there, maybe not a great escape.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Nice shot Tom.

I'm with Doc on this one except I'm sending the 9 two rails to kick into the 5, drawing the QB up to the 15. This shot leaves the 1 ball as cover and a poor angle to bank the 1 without a major sell out, if the 1 would even pass the balls you left in the banking lane.

If the 5 goes your out. The other shot didn't leave a ball close and there are a couple of ways to escape from there, maybe not a great escape.
That's fine Jim. If your shot goes you are off to the races and subject to run out the game and quite possibly, if the shot does not go you very well might be in a winning position. All this is possible. I would estimate your shot as more then 4 to 1 against making a ball considering that you must do so much with the cue ball to get it in the position you need for the safety. On the other hand the shot I chose offers easy cover for the cue ball because it only needs to move about twelve inches, allows for ideal position for continuing the run, and best of all I am a heavy favorite to make the shot. I'll play those odds any day of the week all day long, thank you very much! :D

Just to reiterate, There are many choices we can make in this game and choosing one path over another is sometimes a matter of style and temperament coupled with knowledge or a lack of knowledge. We go with what we are comfortable with when choosing shots while under pressure. Many times we do that with the knowledge that there is a far better shot if we only had the confidence and knowledge to shoot it correctly. That being said we all must be willing to accept that all things being equal there is usually a best shot so far as percentages have a role. Jim, your shot is fine but it is not the best shot.

If you are weak at the shot I have proposed then practice it until it becomes a strength. Ben Hogan once said, "Practice you weaknesses not your strengths."

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
That's fine Jim. If your shot goes you are off to the races and subject to run out the game and quite possibly, if the shot does not go you very well might be in a winning position. All this is possible. I would estimate your shot as more then 4 to 1 against making a ball considering that you must do so much with the cue ball to get it in the position you need for the safety. On the other hand the shot I chose offers easy cover for the cue ball because it only needs to move about twelve inches, allows for ideal position for continuing the run, and best of all I am a heavy favorite to make the shot. I'll play those odds any day of the week all day long, thank you very much! :D

Just to reiterate, There are many choices we can make in this game and choosing one path over another is sometimes a matter of style and temperament coupled with knowledge or a lack of knowledge. We go with what we are comfortable with when choosing shots while under pressure. Many times we do that with the knowledge that there is a far better shot if we only had the confidence and knowledge to shoot it correctly. That being said we all must be willing to accept that all things being equal there is usually a best shot so far as percentages have a role. Jim, your shot is fine but it is not the best shot.

If you are weak at the shot I have proposed then practice it until it becomes a strength. Ben Hogan once said, "Practice you weaknesses not your strengths."

Tom
I'm not weak at the shot you suggested. I love that shot. I just didn't like the angle of the balls you were banking into. There was no way to make a ball and only because you are a superior player, the result was as good as it was. Not to many players are going to freeze that QB there, leaving an easy chance to escape.

wincardona

Verified Member
I'm not weak at the shot you suggested. I love that shot. I just didn't like the angle of the balls you were banking into. There was no way to make a ball and only because you are a superior player, the result was as good as it was. Not to many players are going to freeze that QB there, leaving an easy chance to escape.
Jim, the way I see it pocketing the 1ball is very probable, it can either glance off the 2ball or follow through the 2ball in many ways. The carom plays into a large pocket, plus your cue ball ends up in a much better position shooting the 1ball. The angle you're on with the 9ball suggest to me that you need to 'cut' the 9ball to play rail first into the 5ball, and if i'm correct about the angle then controlling the cue ball now becomes somewhat problematic.:sorry The 1ball is much the best.

Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Jim, I apologize for the implication. I was trying to speak to the newbees who are still very much in the learning stage. I believe there are many on this site who we never hear from. My statement was intended to be more of a generalization for all of us. We all have weaknesses in our game which we should address if we are to improve. I freely admit I do.

So many times players are practicing the wrong things. I have students who come to me and tell me how they practiced this shot or that one and are so proud of there accomplishments. That's fine I tell them, but don't you already know those shots pretty well? "Well yes, but now I have them down pat." I hear this all the time. I am constantly asking these people about those shots they say they hate because they just can't get the hang of them. That is the kind of practice they should be pursuing.

Proper practice requires we work to improve the areas we are weak at before working on the areas where we already have a firm understanding. Again, I'm not directing this at you but at all of us in general. Me included.

Turn weaknesses into strengths with practice and then turn the strengths into weapons.

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
Jim, the way I see it pocketing the 1ball is very probable, it can either glance off the 2ball or follow through the 2ball in many ways. The carom plays into a large pocket, plus your cue ball ends up in a much better position shooting the 1ball. The angle you're on with the 9ball suggest to me that you need to 'cut' the 9ball to play rail first into the 5ball, and if i'm correct about the angle then controlling the cue ball now becomes somewhat problematic.:sorry The 1ball is much the best.

Bill Incardona
I agree with what your saying, I just don't think you can hit the bottom of the 2 and get the QB to the foot rail. If you can get the 1 to hit the bottom of the 2 it would be a much stronger shot.