newbee wwyd #3

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
So, are you enjoying the festivities?
I've got one more for you all and I think I'll give you all a rest for a couple days.

This one's a little different. This time you're down in the score 4 - 7 and it is your shot. What'cha gonna do?

Attachments

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ok. I see two shots.

1. Cross the 5 onto my side and leave the cue uptable behind the 2,etc. not overly aggressive but could be a good start to catching up.

2. Much more aggressive (which you are supposed to be being down in the score, right?); Bank the 5 one rail off of the short rail uptable by hitting rail first with extreme rt English. If hit well, this should have the cue go three rails to land uptable behind the 2.

I think lol.

wincardona

Verified Member
Oops, never mind
I like this shot best, looks like a free shot providing it's struck 'reasonably well'

I also like crossing the 5ball and play the cue ball close to the 2 and 7 balls, trying to snooker the 5ball with the 2 and 7ball. This shot is a much more conservative shot but if it lays good you can begin to develop a stronger position. However, I like Jim's shot the best of the two shots.

If the shooter needed only one ball I would like the more conservative shot,. No mishaps with that shot.

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
Ok. I see two shots.

1. Cross the 5 onto my side and leave the cue uptable behind the 2,etc. not overly aggressive but could be a good start to catching up.

2. Much more aggressive (which you are supposed to be being down in the score, right?); Bank the 5 one rail off of the short rail uptable by hitting rail first with extreme rt English. If hit well, this should have the cue go three rails to land uptable behind the 2.

I think lol.
Wouldn't shoot your second shot, too risky. Too many things can go wrong with the shot simply because you must control both balls and I don't see that happening as consistently as I would like.:sorry

Bill Incardona

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wouldn't shoot your second shot, too risky. Too many things can go wrong with the shot simply because you must control both balls and I don't see that happening as consistently as I would like.:sorry

Bill Incardona
No need for sorry. Thanks for the thoughts Bill! Can't argue with the logic.

pvclou

Verified Member
I think the two-rail bank on the 5 lays good. I make that shot accidentally when i try cutting it up the rail with speed. Just aim the 5 into the rail as if cutting it towards the side pocket. Load up the cueball with inside to zig zag it up table behind the 2 and 7 for position if the 5 ball goes.

NH Steve

Administrator
I think the two-rail bank on the 5 lays good. I make that shot accidentally when i try cutting it up the rail with speed. Just aim the 5 into the rail as if cutting it towards the side pocket. Load up the cueball with inside to zig zag it up table behind the 2 and 7 for position if the 5 ball goes.
If you are going to two-rail the 5, why not use left to go three rails around the lower end of the table and then off the 4th rail up above the same side you are aiming the 5 toward, so the cue ball flops over behind those two balls? I don't think most players could get enough inside to go back and forth up to there, plus, your cue ball would be crossing the path of the 5 ball two or three times, and a kiss would be a definite possibility.

Attachments

pvclou

Verified Member
Steve it looks to me that I'd have to hit the 5 too thinly for left spin to take enough effect to go on the path you've diagrammed. I'd have to hit a lot of low left. Also left spin in this situation makes me tend to hit the 5 ball fuller. If i hit the 5 too full it goes 3 rails to my opponent's side instead of 2 rails to my side. I think right spin helps me to hit the 5 with the effect favoring my side and get's the cue ball up table with less effort.

Mkelley

Verified Member
No real clue here.. I would consider banking the 5 uptable and focusing more on freezing the cue to the end rail closest to his pocket. Seems like that's a bad angle for him when all balls are up table.

petie

Verified Member
You could bank/lag the 5 up by the 14 and place whitie on the score keeper. Very easy to execute. What would his answer be?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Call me a simpleton, but I'm just going to bank the 5 at the 2 and 7 not too hard and leave the CB by his pocket. Not at all aggressive, but it should make it so the 2, 5, and 7 all bank into my pocket. I would expect/hope to have the 2 and 5 bankable one-rail and the 7 bankable 3 rails.

I'd love to bring the 5 one-rail to my hole and get behind the 2 and 7, but that looks somewhere between tough and impossible. Also, if the 5 ends up too high on the long rail by my pocket--as I think it would--there are lots of easy return shots.

Miller

Verified Member
You could bank/lag the 5 up by the 14 and place whitie on the score keeper. Very easy to execute. What would his answer be?
me too petie - all day long. i took in a couple lessons from the ghost two summers ago, and we spent some time working on various derivatives of that very shot.

my other option would be lag/hook him right under it.

jtompilot

Verified Member
How about bank the 6 home for the win. I can't tell you how many times guys have back cut 6 and split the hole against me.

If your going to punt the 5, leave the qb where the 5 is now. If you bring the qb by the counters your asking to lose.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
So I set up this situation to illustrate the importance of playing the score. Had the score of this game been 7 -4 in the shooter's favor I think we all would agree that the proper shot would be some form of safety. Get the five ball out of play in some practical fashion. Take you pick how.

But the score of this game is decidedly stacked against you as the shooter so a far more aggressive posture must be adopted. If you play a safety on the five ball you are playing into the hands of your opponent and helping him to defeat you. At the very least you must maintain some momentum here.

Therefore the cookie gets divided between pvclou and Steve.

Lou's shot is correct, at least as I see it, in that the two rail shot is the right shot all things considered. However his thoughts about how to control the cue ball is flawed. By using right hand English (inside) he will not get the rock up table enough to make the shot worthwhile.

Steve's idea of playing the cue ball with left hand English somewhat along the path he described works very well. There are no kisses to worry about and the shot can now be played for position. The path the object ball must take is a tad narrower than he predicts because the object ball when It comes off the top rail will spread. All in all the shot does require a little practice, but believe me it is not a difficult shot to control and it has a great deal of margin of error.

It is not likely that this type of shot will be pocketed but the momentum will be maintained at the very least because now your opponent will be forced to clear that five ball giving you another opportunity to find something aggressive which may yield better results. However, you will make this shot on occasion and when you do you will have another shot at your hole. Stealing games from spots like this one is one of the sweetest experiences you will remember and you will strike a dagger into your opponent's heart when it all works.

Keep in mind that when you are severely down in the score you cannot allow your opponent to get the balls out of play. At the very least, don't help him in that quest. You have far less to loose than he does in this case.

Tom

androd

Verified Member
Grady showed me this shot in Dallas a few years before he passed on.
PCVLou and Steve are both correct. Lou said you play to cut it into the side and Steve said left English around the table.
Being hit so thin the left English opens on the second rail and if hit thin enough gets close to your pocket.
Luckily, I made this shot the first time I shot at it gambling. :)
Rod.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Grady showed me this shot in Dallas a few years before he passed on.
PCVLou and Steve are both correct. Lou said you play to cut it into the side and Steve said left English around the table.
Being hit so thin the left English opens on the second rail and if hit thin enough gets close to your pocket.
Luckily, I made this shot the first time I shot at it gambling. :)
Rod.
Nice shot Rod. It is certainly a shot that can bring rain for your opponent. I mean really, is there anywhere on the table where he can leave you where he feels he has got your safe?
You say that what you see in his eyes is ............FEAR? :eek:

Tom

Miller

Verified Member
i certainly enjoy this layout and the thoughts it provokes. the game always looks much easier on a screen than when your hands are sweating, the sweaters are looking on and judging, and you're one $10/$20 bill (in my case anyway :D) from unscrewing.

you old codgers ;)….i'll wait for chicago, the hacker, or petie to appear and take this up….

i like dynamic shots as much as the next guy, but….

the concept of playing the score i understand, begging for a kiss in the middle of the table (when you have other choices and you don't have to go) i don't.

live on. leave him tough. move em all to your side or make him deal with a frozen ball. grind it out. see what he's made of…

are the conservative options posted really a no go? i think they are mermaid.