newbee wwyd #2

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Okay, are you all ready for another one.
This one may be easier to see the proper shot even for the newcomers to One Pocket but I just want to illustrate the concept because shots like this come up quite frequently and sometimes they are not as easy to see. Look for simple to execute opportunities to do more. Again, there will be two images placed on separate pages.

Attachments

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Newbee #2 continued

Apparently the images are too big. I worked on them but unfortunately I couldn't reduce the size of the images so we all must make due or maybe Steve or someone else can fix my errors here. Thanks all.

Attachments

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Bank the three with low right driving the cue into the 11 banking it towards my hole and stopping the cue there?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
May be too much space between them for that, but it's my first though.

Mkelley

Verified Member
I like shooting into the 11 banking it basically back into the stack or more to my side anyway. Cue ball caroms off 11 and moves the 3 up table or depending on speed and how full the cue ball hits it. That 3 turns into more of a 1 rail, but shouldn't get that close.

Basically I'm Trying to remove both balls and keep the cue ball close to the stack rather than remove one and give my opponent more options.

Hope this makes sense.

pvclou

Verified Member
I also like banking the 3-ball two rails to my hole. I'm trying slide whitey and stick it to the 10-ball. If i make it, then I have a free bank on the 11. Since the cueball part of the shot is easy to execute, I can focus on getting the 3-ball close.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Here is the answer. Knowing when to shoot for your hole and when to play for a move is a matter of percentages and what the aftermath of the shot offers. In this case because there are so many continuation shots which results from pocketing a ball here, the right shot is to bank the three ball one rail and carom the eleven cross corner.

This image is the result of the first attempt having shot the bank. I pocketed the three ball while banking the eleven toward my hole. I got a bit unlucky in that the eleven ball is now blocking the path of the four ball. I'm still loving this position.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Mkelley

Verified Member
Dang it.. i was close I took the kids to pizza king and wanted to get a quick shot down. My first shot was to bank the 3 caring into the 11 but i thought it would send it more towards the head rail around the second diamond.

Really like that shot Tom

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Here is the answer. Knowing when to shoot for your hole and when to play for a move is a matter of percentages and what the aftermath of the shot offers. In this case because there are so many continuation shots which results from pocketing a ball here, the right shot is to bank the three ball one rail and carom the eleven cross corner.

This image is the result of the first attempt having shot the bank. I pocketed the three ball while banking the eleven toward my hole. I got a bit unlucky in that the eleven ball is now blocking the path of the four ball. I'm still loving this position.

Tom
My first cookie :)

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Hi Tom. Thank you for taking the time to present his thread. Anything learned is a plus. See you soon. Frank

12squared

Verified Member

Tom
Nice solution, Tom. And congrats to the new cookie monster, Mkbtank.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Thanks for posting these, Tom. I hope you keep at it! Also, save them all and when you have 50 or 100, put them in an ebook and sell 'em.

On this specific shot, I can't argue with your outcome, but it looks like to get the 11 over to the good side, you have to hit the 3-ball well harder than pocket speed. Do you agree, or am I misreading the shot?

Especially if you bank it wide at that speed, bad things could happen. In comparison, it's pretty easy to play the 3-ball two rails at pocket speed and lock him up on the stack (and the 11 would be there in case the 3 goes in).

Cory

Tom Wirth

Verified Member

Tom
Thanks for posting these, Tom. I hope you keep at it! Also, save them all and when you have 50 or 100, put them in an ebook and sell 'em.

On this specific shot, I can't argue with your outcome, but it looks like to get the 11 over to the good side, you have to hit the 3-ball well harder than pocket speed. Do you agree, or am I misreading the shot?

Especially if you bank it wide at that speed, bad things could happen. In comparison, it's pretty easy to play the 3-ball two rails at pocket speed and lock him up on the stack (and the 11 would be there in case the 3 goes in).

Cory
Hi Cory, You are correct in that the three ball bank must be hit firmer than pocket speed to get the eleven to the position I got it to in this example. It does not have to be hit that hard to be an effective shot. Pocket speed will still move the eleven off the side rail and across the table enough to offer another shot. I am focused on making the three ball only. The eleven is simply a bonus. The key element here is in the decision to shoot to make the ball vs. shooting to set up a move. In this case the shot to make a ball far outweighs the move because of the implied value of continuing the run with more open shots. The four ball potentially opens the door to winning the game outright.

Thanks for the question Cory. It gave me an opportunity to explain my thinking.

Tom

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Hi Cory, You are correct in that the three ball bank must be hit firmer than pocket speed to get the eleven to the position I got it to in this example. It does not have to be hit that hard to be an effective shot. Pocket speed will still move the eleven off the side rail and across the table enough to offer another shot. I am focused on making the three ball only. The eleven is simply a bonus. The key element here is in the decision to shoot to make the ball vs. shooting to set up a move. In this case the shot to make a ball far outweighs the move because of the implied value of continuing the run with more open shots. The four ball potentially opens the door to winning the game outright.

Thanks for the question Cory. It gave me an opportunity to explain my thinking.

Tom
Makes sense to me. Thanks & Happy Holidays!