Newbee #7 wwyd

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Well, that was an easy one. Let's see what we can come up with one just a little bit more difficult to see a viable solution. As is usually the case, there are several potential answer to these problems. That is one of the many beauties of One Pocket. In this case, if you can't find a good shot for your own pocket you had better come up with a very good response to this situation.

Your opponent has just broken the balls and left you here. wwyd? :confused:

Attachments

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
And here is the third image.
BTW...you can only see half of the one ball.

Attachments

wincardona

Verified Member
And here is the third image.
BTW...you can only see half of the one ball.
I'll let this one alone for a minute and let others give their opinion and by tomorrow if it hasn't been solved i'll offer mine.

Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I'll let this one alone for a minute and let others give their opinion and by tomorrow if it hasn't been solved i'll offer mine.

Bill Incardona
Sounds good Bill, but I'm not trying to test anyone here. If the new comers can see the right shot or if the right shot is pointed out to them it is Okay by me.
My goal like yours is to inform the new players so they become better at the game. We who have been around this game for decades have a duty to pass along some of what we know. Times have changed and teaching has become acceptable. The torch the old school players have held must be past on to the young guns so we can keep this beautiful game alive.

Everyone is always welcome to chime in with their thoughts.

Tom

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Yep. Tough spot. That 5 ball is going to hurt you eventually. With all of the options I looked at (jacking up, banking the 9 and trying to stick the cue ((wrong angle and too cue too close to the rail)) or rolling up on the stack) I think that now is the best opportunity that you may have in a while to make it or get it out. Therefore I would come underneath the 1 rail first and try to carom over and make the 5.

mr3cushion

Suspended
Mkbtank is correct IMHO, play the "tiki" behind the 1 ball softly with 5 O'clock English and pocket the 5 ball for your opponent, sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
While I agree with ya'll that the 5 needs to go, the reason I chose my shot was if I didn't make the 5 I still had him frozen to the stack with no shot other than kick at the 5.--Smitty

NH Steve

Administrator
Think I might fire the 13 off the top of the 1 to make the 5 and freeze the CB on the stack.--Smitty
If the 3-2-10 could eliminate the 5, then I would rather use that and leave the cue ball stuck at the top of the stack rather than low on the stack. Up at the top, the stack might (hopefully) end up protecting whatever ball or balls trickle over to my side on the shot. If not, then I like the ticky shot too.

bstroud

Verified Member
A mistake here and you lose the game.

If possible my first choice would be a slight masse on the one ball and into the 5 ball.

If that is not on then I would shoot the 13 into the side of the one ball to make the 5 ball hard and force follow the cue ball to the end rail.

If I get away with either of these shots I would thank my lucky star.

Bill S.

petie

Verified Member
From the way it looks like the balls line up (always hard to tell exactly,) I would send the 13 into the end rail and make the 5 then go up table a little bit as I tried to cinch the cue ball on the end rail under the one. Doable for me.

tucson9ball

Verified Member
1) I say to myself ****! Nice break #######!

2) I start checking his racks, cause the corner ball on my side of the rack didn't move at all? joking...

3) Hard to see all the angles exactly, but from what I see, the rail first carom from the one ball (ticky) would be my shot. Looks like a easy one to pocket the 5.

Island Drive

Verified Member
I'd roll the cueball between the one and the rail, make the combo with rail first. My main reason for choosing this course was was simple, my line of shot is already in place.

Now a day later,
Since my cueball is so close to the rail, I no longer like this shot. Like others have said the tiki is the only way to go.

Last edited:

Dudley

Verified Member
From my perspective the tiki is the only shot I like--> as Mr3cush suggested.

very dependable solid shot.

I avoid going into the wrong side of the stack with all my might.

Dudley

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I consider Mr. 3 Cushion Smith the Bible on this kind of shot. If he say the tiki is the shot, then that's what I say. The cue ball is so close to rail. Can you still hit at five o'clock and execute accurately?

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Intentional

Intentional

What about rolling the cueball up to the eight? Taking an intentional.
I don't like taking this intentional because of 2 reasons. The 5 is still a huge threat and they can glance off the 15 and put you close to the same spot (or off the 4 and leave you all the way uptable with the 5 protected).

I think the carom off the 1 and pocket the 5 is the only shot I see that will get me out of this.

beatle

Verified Member
no ones going to like my two shots but here goes. remember i am not playing a world beater here who runs out every time i make a mistake.

i might leave him after an intentional up on the short rail on his side so he can shoot the combo and if he misses which he will some times i am open.

or there is that combo for my pocket that looks like it can go. both shots let me completely turn the tables when i am a huge dog to win.

a big positive side to getting the game over when i am a big dog is to start another where most all times i am a big favorite to win. also most games dont last and you have only so many to play before he quits.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
A mistake here and you lose the game.

If possible my first choice would be a slight masse on the one ball and into the 5 ball.

If that is not on then I would shoot the 13 into the side of the one ball to make the 5 ball hard and force follow the cue ball to the end rail.

If I get away with either of these shots I would thank my lucky star.

Bill S.
I'd have to be at the table to know for sure, but it looks to me like you could hit the one without any masse, and make the five hitting the footrail first with the onebail (Tom said you could see half of the one ball, but this shot only needs 1/4 of the one ball). Hit hard enough to not leave the one hanging, and play the pretty natural line for the cueball to go straight at the 4-ball in the stack. This shot goes real bad if you hit the 7 ball, though.

Cory