New guy

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I'm a new member but I've Lurked for many years. I always enjoy the wwyd threads and usually have the shot in my head as soon as I see the table. I love the game and hope I can contribute to the conversation if you'll allow. Thanks in advance. Oh btw I live near Memphis and haven't heard anything on here about the Nevell Compton match is anybody watching on the Internet? Well heading over to pool room to sweat round 3 thanks , ToddW

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Welcome, Todd. Living in Memphis I'm sure you know "Memphis" Bill Rousey. For the others, he's a great guy and is a big supporter of players at Southaven Rec Center.

Todd, you've probably been to the SCT events in Tunica. If Greg has another one next Summer, be sure and introduce yourself.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Welcome and say hello to Bill Rowsey for me. I played in his poolroom and took a thumping there from Vernon Eliot once. I couldnt get Rosie or Rowsey to play even, so I had to settle for bank pool with Vernon. :frus

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Hello Todd, and welcome to the site. I'm sure we know one another, you're too old to have missed seeing me, or Vice versa. :lol

Plus you get an extra warm welcome for getting Fred to admit that he lost playing bank pool.:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I keep hearing about Vernon Elliot on OP.org. How good of a One Pocket player was Vernon? I played him once in Don Steel's room back in the late eighties and I beat him four straight games and he quit me quick. I doubt he made more than two or three balls total. It can happen that way sometimes. That two players fairly even in game have lopsided results in a short session doesn't have to mean a thing. So how good was Vernon, please?

Tom

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I keep hearing about Vernon Elliot on OP.org. How good of a One Pocket player was Vernon? I played him once in Don Steel's room back in the late eighties and I beat him four straight games and he quit me quick. I doubt he made more than two or three balls total. It can happen that way sometimes. That two players fairly even in game have lopsided results in a short session doesn't have to mean a thing. So how good was Vernon, please?

Tom

Vernon was a phenomenal banker and terrific 9 ball player. One pocket and especially straight pool were his low points. But he was one of the all time great bankers.

Beard

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Vernon was a phenomenal banker and terrific 9 ball player. One pocket and especially straight pool were his low points. But he was one of the all time great bankers.

Beard

And back then, anyone named Vernon, got action, just KUZ of his name :heh Gettin' thumped was part of the trade, though it wasn't a good habit for your health/well being. But man, in the heartland of USA, them Southern boys could play........Tennessee Tarzan.