New Cloth

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The club that I play at most often just got their Brunswick 5 tables reclothed with Simonis 860 -- the kind with the extra reinforcement in it because the tables get so much use lol.

Anyway, I always like brand new cloth because banks that otherwise won't go on those tables suddenly go -- nice to know :)

In fact the first day I made a long three into the far corner off the foot spot (L/S/L). Also the cross corner off the spot into the far corner goes real easily on new cloth. Also, normally on those tables, I usually figure the foot spot is about the farthest off the long rail that you can make a two railer into the corner pocket back under where you are shooting from (L/S), but on the new cloth that limit moves another 3 inches or so farther off the side rail.

Of course Diamonds are a different animal anyway... but what do you guys see as far as different banking on new vs worn cloth?

beatle

Verified Member
steve i just use cloth/table speed to determine how hard to hit the shot.

with any strange table i hit a few special banks and see where they go. if short i hit them longer and visa versa. then i hit some hard and soft to see how the rails send them off.
and i will spin a 3 railer off the 3rd diamond from the corner pocket to see how it goes around and how much it slides.. and i am good from there.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yeah, with new cloth, banks go wider because of the slide off the rails. Newly polished pool balls are the worst-- almost impossible to make any 3-railers from the corners...:(

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
NH Steve, Howdy;

Interesting, Last week the Mgr. for my local VFW decided to actually clean the
cloth on both of our Valley tables :eek:, and the balls as well. First time (I think),
since they were last recovered (10 years ago). Balls were sliding all over the place
like they were on ice. So, relying on some of the stuff lll & Whitey have been kind
enough to share with me I went ahead and did a Corner-5 shot to see what the "new"
was and it was a whole diamond long :confused:, That's when I noticed the table
had been cleaned as well as the balls and it wasn't even the last Sat. of the month.
Good thing I have that little routine, I've since expanded it to all 4 corners and
do some +2 shots to check out the close to the corner bits of the rails. About
5 to 10 minutes gives me a good general idea of how the table plays.

hank

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
NH Steve, Howdy;

Interesting, Last week the Mgr. for my local VFW decided to actually clean the
cloth on both of our Valley tables :eek:, and the balls as well. First time (I think),
since they were last recovered (10 years ago). Balls were sliding all over the place
like they were on ice. So, relying on some of the stuff lll & Whitey have been kind
enough to share with me I went ahead and did a Corner-5 shot to see what the "new"
was and it was a whole diamond long :confused:, That's when I noticed the table
had been cleaned as well as the balls and it wasn't even the last Sat. of the month.
Good thing I have that little routine, I've since expanded it to all 4 corners and
do some +2 shots to check out the close to the corner bits of the rails. About
5 to 10 minutes gives me a good general idea of how the table plays.

hank
Hank what you are describing is certainly consistent with new cloth -- I did not realize that a thorough cleaning accomplished some of the same effect.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
New cloth time of year at one of the clubs this week that I played at. I made a nice 5 railer that positively would have come up short on older cloth, but lengthened nicely for me on the new cloth and went :)

Likewise the long three off the spot went easily first try. That only seems to work for maybe a week lol.

Banks that you normally struggle to get them to long enough are much easier on new cloth. But the converse is true of course also. You have to adjust -- right away.