New 2015 DCC "trapped/wedged ball" rule

chicagomike

Verified Member
I was informed by a friend and verified on the DCC website under one pocket rules:

"Trapping or Wedging the cue ball: it is a foul if you deliberately trap or wedge the cue ball in the jaw of the pocket. In addition to the foul penalty, your opponent receives ball in hand behind the head string."

Has anyone heard of this rule and can anyone describe or draw a situation in which this rule would apply?

That is a VERY severe penalty for a table foul!!! What could be the reasoning??? It seems like this type of situation may be very unique so why the harsh rule???

chicagomike

Verified Member
I just realized they must be referring to pressing the cueball against the inside jaws of a pocket with the tip of your cue to keep your opponent from having a shot. There must have been a lot of complaints regarding that in recent years.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
it could be that trapping/wedging the cue ball is egregious......:eek:...;)
unsportsmanlike conduct....:eek:...;)
;)
and instead of losing the game your opponent gets ball in hand in the kitchen
:)

chicagomike

Verified Member
I guess the typical response would be to press it back to your opponent creating longer games as players would owe additional balls.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I was informed by a friend and verified on the DCC website under one pocket rules:

"Trapping or Wedging the cue ball: it is a foul if you deliberately trap or wedge the cue ball in the jaw of the pocket. In addition to the foul penalty, your opponent receives ball in hand behind the head string."

Has anyone heard of this rule and can anyone describe or draw a situation in which this rule would apply?

That is a VERY severe penalty for a table foul!!! What could be the reasoning??? It seems like this type of situation may be very unique so why the harsh rule???

I don't think that's a new rule. Pushing and holding the CB against the rail has always (i think) been a "special" foul with special punitive measures, not severe enough to cause loss of game, but worse than a normal foul.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Yep, old rule, although the BIH part is not always expressly stated. I like the BIH part because otherwise, the man gets a big advantage by doing something he knows is wrong.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Yep, old rule, although the BIH part is not always expressly stated. I like the BIH part because otherwise, the man gets a big advantage by doing something he knows is wrong.

What's the difference between trapping the ball in a corner pocket and taking an intentional foul by ticking the CB when it's frozen on the stack or in some other disadvantageous position??? Aren't those scenarios equal???

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
New 2015 DCC "trapped/wedged ball" rule

Does this include pocketing a ball and trying to leave the cue in the jaws so the opponent is hooked?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
What's the difference between trapping the ball in a corner pocket and taking an intentional foul by ticking the CB when it's frozen on the stack or in some other disadvantageous position??? Aren't those scenarios equal???

i believe
if you dont hit the cue ball with the tip of your cue
but lets say for example you hit the top of it with your ferrule
its a foul and your opponent also gets ball in hand behind the line
i beleive this was called on ike runnels one year
im old my memory might be wrong....:eek:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think because it's an illegal intentional double hit (more like a full second's hit:)).

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I believe that new rule is adopted from the CSI One Pocket rules -- the ones that Mark Griffin uses for the US Open.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

NO, Jamming the CB against the facing and holding it there would probably be about 3/5 fouls in the same shot. If you were pushing thru the rack when not frozen, you wouldn't be holding the tip on the CB that long.

Everyone used to do this,(myself included) finally someone realized how wrong it was.
Rod.
P.S. I was corner hooked playing a guy in San Antonio. I turned and bumped the other facing and the CB settled back where it was, he said "That may be the best shot I've seen in a long while"
Rod.