Name That Player

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Statute of commiserations...Same thing !

Statute of commiserations...Same thing !

fred bentivegna said:
The statue of limitations should be up by now.

Beard

I once gave an underage (17) hooker, who I met in K.C, Mo,...a ride back to San Jose to reconnect with her long lost mother, who lived there... She looked like a 21 year old Playboy bunny...And yes, I was smitten, but not quite enough to give up my happy home.

She said she wanted to quit that lifestyle, get a job, and go legit., and I really wanted to help her achieve that goal... Mr. Cautious that I was, at every state line, I would put her on a bus to make the crossover. I was sure (?) that would absolve me of the federal, "crossing a state line with a minor" law.

A younger good friend of mine, (Joe Kaptur, where are you ?)...also became smitten with her, and they soon fell madly in love... Sadly about 6 mos. after Elaine's arrival in San Jose,..she was killed in a car accident. She was by then...18.

Joe was unconsolable, and left town shortly after her demise... He was my good buddy, and he loved one pocket... He would put up his last sawbuck, to go in with me, even if I were playing God (or Ronnie Allen).....He did visit me/us in Phx about 20 years ago..but we lost touch with each other...I'm writing this in hopes some of my old S.J. friends may know of his whereabouts ...Joe would be around 60 or so now... I would really like to re-connect with him. (we nick-named him "Santa Clara Joe")...Joe couldn't make a ball, but he loved being a name player..:)

PS..If there is a Mrs Joe Kaptur now, and she should get wind of this...please disregard this message...:eek:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Cincinnati Clem

Cincinnati Clem

SJDinPHX said:
I once gave an underage (17) hooker, who I met in K.C, Mo,...a ride back to San Jose to reconnect with her long lost mother, who lived there... She looked like a 21 year old Playboy bunny...And yes, I was smitten, but not quite enough to give up my happy home.

She said she wanted to quit that lifestyle, get a job, and go legit., and I really wanted to help her achieve that goal... Mr. Cautious that I was, at every state line, I would put her on a bus to make the crossover. I was sure (?) that would absolve me of the federal, "crossing a state line with a minor" law.

A younger good friend of mine, (Joe Kaptur, where are you ?)...also became smitten with her, and they soon fell madly in love... Sadly about 6 mos. after Elaine's arrival in San Jose,..she was killed in a car accident. She was by then...18.

Joe was unconsolable, and left town shortly after her demise... He was my good buddy, and he loved one pocket... He would put up his last sawbuck, to go in with me, even if I were playing God (or Ronnie Allen).....He did visit me/us in Phx about 20 years ago..but we lost touch with each other...I'm writing this in hopes some of my old S.J. friends may know of his whereabouts ...Joe would be around 60 or so now... I would really like to re-connect with him. (we nick-named him "Santa Clara Joe")...Joe couldn't make a ball, but he loved being a name player..:)

PS..If there is a Mrs Joe Kaptur now, and she should get wind of this...please disregard this message...:eek:

Clem went to jail for transporting a hooker across state lines. "Trasporting a female for immoral purposes." Same federal law that the black fighter Jack Johnson got busted with.

I did the same thing SJD did with my old girlfriend many years ago. She was 17 also. I took the back roads from Wisconsin into Illinois and I made her get out and walk over the state line, and then I let her back into the car. The thing I most worried about was her getting upset with me later and holding that over my head as snitch material. Its hard to outmove a onepocket player.

Beard

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Fred.. Did you ever play some the Houston guys besides Jersey Red..Jeff (Tall Jeff) Sparks, John (Duke) Dowell, Keith (Squirrel) Thompson, FlyBoy..I believe Squirrel won the Johnson City All Around 72 or 73..not sure and also James (The Sniper) Christopher)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just check the "list"

Just check the "list"

MARK..HOU TX said:
Fred.. Did you ever play some the Houston guys besides Jersey Red..Jeff (Tall Jeff) Sparks, John (Duke) Dowell, Keith (Squirrel) Thompson, FlyBoy..I believe Squirrel won the Johnson City All Around 72 or 73..not sure and also James (The Sniper) Christopher)

I dont remember everything about my foray into LeCue in Houston. Jeff Sparks rings a bell but I dont know if we played. I remember Duke being in there. Dont remember if we played. I played Greg Stevens, but never got down with Jersey Red. We were probably too friendly.

In 72 Keith Thompson and I played daily at Johnston City. I was giving him a ball playing one pocket and took the 7 playing 9 ball. He won the all around playing with my cue stick. Lot of sets with Flyboy playing him 9 to 7. Didnt do very well. Played the Sniper in Hot Springs and Detroit. Played him 9 to 8. Won pretty good $ off him in Detroit, even tho he was not too famous for going off, as you probably know.

Played a Texican onepocket player from Amarillo in Hot Springs for big money. His first name was Richie. I been trying to remember the last name. He was a pretty good player. He played in Banana's pool room.

Of course I played with Steve the Lizard Smith and UJ Puckett. (Hot Springs AR) Two more Texas boys.

Plenty of pool players in Texas.

Beard

Just remembered who that player from Amarillo was after reading Jay's report on the Eddie Kelly/Cornbread match (the one that was professionally touched up by CaliRed). Been trying to think of his name for years. His first name wasnt Richie, it was Jerry. Jerry Prado. Jay mentions him in the article, he knocked Ronnie out of the tourn. My "beat list" groupies will be pleased to know that Jerry will be inducted today. He was a pretty good player, maybe a little over me, but I pushed him a little out of his comfort zone (we were betting $600 a game). Giant stakes for the early 90s. He won zero games.
Now just to show what a sporting treat I could be back then, after finding out his speed, I ran into him again later and he wanted a rematch (but only for $200 a game). I refused and asked for a ball. I told him he had his chance and he blew it.

Beard

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Typo. I know you know the real dates.

Typo. I know you know the real dates.

fred bentivegna said:
In 72 Keith Thompson and I played daily at Johnston City. I was giving him a ball playing one pocket and took the 7 playing 9 ball. He won the all around playing with my cue stick.

Beard

Fred,
Keith won the 1970 9 Ball division at Johnston City and the 1970 All-Around.
In 1972, Danny DiLiberto won the All-Around.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Should be safe

Should be safe

fred bentivegna said:
The statue of imitations should be up by now.

Beard

Fred,

According to the Illinois statute of limitations for statutory rape....you can be charged up to 20 years after the fact.

(j) When the victim is under 18 years of age at the time of the offense, a prosecution for criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, or aggravated criminal sexual abuse or a prosecution for failure of a person who is required to report an alleged or suspected commission of any of these offenses under the Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act may be commenced within 20 years after the child victim attains 18 years of age.[/B]

If you don't post for a spell, at least we have a clue on where to start looking for you.

I promise, I'll write to you often. Keep you up to speed on what the fellas are doing and what not.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Terry, how about if he could come up with a credible witness to testify that it had been more than twenty years since he was last capable of rape? :D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Youre right

Youre right

Terry Ardeno said:
Fred,
Keith won the 1970 9 Ball division at Johnston City and the 1970 All-Around.
In 1972, Danny DiLiberto won the All-Around.

It was 1970 because that was the year I came in 5th in the Onepocket, getting knocked out by Ronnie after having him 3 to 2 and 7 to zip. In 72 tho, I believe that was the only year that they ran 2 tourns. down there. Spring and Fall.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Safe

Safe

Terry Ardeno said:
Fred,

According to the Illinois statute of limitations for statutory rape....you can be charged up to 20 years after the fact.

(j) When the victim is under 18 years of age at the time of the offense, a prosecution for criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, or aggravated criminal sexual abuse or a prosecution for failure of a person who is required to report an alleged or suspected commission of any of these offenses under the Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act may be commenced within 20 years after the child victim attains 18 years of age.[/B]

If you don't post for a spell, at least we have a clue on where to start looking for you.

I promise, I'll write to you often. Keep you up to speed on what the fellas are doing and what not.

I believe Im safe -- on that one.

Beard

jay helfert

Verified Member
MARK..HOU TX said:

I knew Jeff Sparks from when he was out in California. I heard he quit pool to sell cars. Whatever became of him? James Christopher was the best player in Texas back then (in the 70's and 80's). I also played Flyboy (Jimmy Spears) a couple of times in my poolroom in Bakersfield.

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
jay helfert said:
I knew Jeff Sparks from when he was out in California. I heard he quit pool to sell cars. Whatever became of him? James Christopher was the best player in Texas back then (in the 70's and 80's). I also played Flyboy (Jimmy Spears) a couple of times in my poolroom in Bakersfield.
Jeff is still around...he spends a lot of time bay fishing.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
James won a nice piece of money at the "RACK" in Detroit back in the late 70's, he almost tore the hinges off the doors trying to get out of town so fast with the money. Always played it pretty close to the vest.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

jay helfert

Verified Member
androd said:
Not even close. :) :p ;) Although a very good player.
Rod.

What do I know? Of course I knew James couldn't beat Greg Stevens, but no one else could either. That is until he was awake for three days. :)