Name That Player

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Tell him to give me a horse instead

Tell him to give me a horse instead

cuesmith said:
Damn Freddy! Sounds like you caught a gear that day! Hey, I've got an old buddy of mine who wants to trap you at the Derby this year! Billy Carrelli. Are you interested?

Sherm

When I seen Billy last year he was not on crutches, so that is an automatic disqualification from him being able to get down with me. A walking cane is an absolute minimum. We played a little in Hot Springs years ago.

the Beard

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Grady Mathews, in his promotional brochure lists the players that he gambled with in his career. The list is formidable and voluminous. But I have a long list too. So Steve Booth and I are concocting a little promotion/game to stir up the forum a bit. Basically we are asking the forum members to come up with players of some reknown from 1965 to 1990 that I didnt gamble with. The first guy that accumulates ten players I ducked or missed will win a Banking With The Beard T-shirt and a BWTB or The GosPool Book. This wont be easy. There are very few players that I didnt cross swords with. Further details will be posted by Steve very soon.

the Beard

Freddie:

Did you ever play Gary the Bushwacker from Michigan in the 70's or 80's?
Also did you play a guy named Pony Tail from Oklahoma? I forgot his name.

Detroit Carla

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dont remember

Dont remember

carlajohnson said:
Freddie:

Did you ever play Gary the Bushwacker from Michigan in the 70's or 80's?
Also did you play a guy named Pony Tail from Oklahoma? I forgot his name.

Detroit Carla

Hi, Carla. While I remember Gary Nolan, I dont remember if we ever played. He played a lot on the bar table, and while I was in Detroit I seldom left the Rack and Cue. Pony Tail also rings a little bell but I need more info.

the Beard

jay helfert

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Hi, Carla. While I remember Gary Nolan, I dont remember if we ever played. He played a lot on the bar table, and while I was in Detroit I seldom left the Rack and Cue. Pony Tail also rings a little bell but I need more info.

the Beard

Freddie, you and Gary were around the same places a lot back in the 70's and 80's. In Detroit, Dayton, Kentucky and Chicago. But Gary was always a sharp cookie. He had no reason to play you, what could he gain. If he beats you playing Banks, he's done. Kapeche?

And you're a little too smart to tangle with him at 9-Ball, his best game.

The Baron

Terry Ardeno said:
The only thing I would like to add to that marvelously accurate description is he was actually Jimmy Cattrano Jr. His dad was also a somewhat renowned 3 cushion player.
Jimmy was sort of like a "lower level" Boston Shorty, in that he was equally proficient in both 3 cushion and pockets.

Terry, I have to take exception to the "lower level Boston Shorty" remark. Jimmy Cattrano, Jr. in his day had numerous runs of over 200 at straight pool and could play with anybody. At 3-cushion Cattrano was hands down better than 'Shorty'. Believe me, I played them both many times and Shorty wasn't in Jimmy's league. Cattrano has never gotten the recognition he deserved, however; some of that was self inflicted. First off; with straight pool, the tournament scene had basically died in the NY area in the '70's. He wasn't much of a 9-ball player. The local scene was worse in 3-cushion, but there were many tournaments held in those years that weren't recognized. Because of the demise of the ABA (and a few others), the record keeping wasn't an exact science in those years. What I can tell you from being there and playing in those years is this; Cattrano was as good as any American 3-cushion player.

The Baron

Jimmy Cattrano, Jr.

Jimmy Cattrano, Jr.

I wanted to explain my 'self inflicted' remark. Regarding straight pool, Jimmy simply gave it up because there wasn't enough money in it. In my opinion, money was more important to him than fame. Of course he also had a family and a mortgage to take care of. Regarding 3-cushion, and again, in my opinion; Jimmy was extremely stubborn when it came to the way the equipment in the game was changing. He absolutely hated the faster cloths, and as crazy as this sounds, he probably would've preferred using ivory balls. When the tournament circuit had finally revived itself in NY, Jimmy had no interest (or desire) to put the time in anymore. And as much as I pleaded with both Jimmy, Jr. and Jacy (Jimmy, Sr.) to dump the old Brunswicks and get some newer, heated tables, they had no interest. Subsequent to that they lost their lease in Queens, New York and opened up a room way out on Long Island, and his playing career was finished.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
The Baron said:
Terry, I have to take exception to the "lower level Boston Shorty" remark. Jimmy Cattrano, Jr. in his day had numerous runs of over 200 at straight pool and could play with anybody. At 3-cushion Cattrano was hands down better than 'Shorty'. Believe me, I played them both many times and Shorty wasn't in Jimmy's league. Cattrano has never gotten the recognition he deserved, however; some of that was self inflicted. First off; with straight pool, the tournament scene had basically died in the NY area in the '70's. He wasn't much of a 9-ball player. The local scene was worse in 3-cushion, but there were many tournaments held in those years that weren't recognized. Because of the demise of the ABA (and a few others), the record keeping wasn't an exact science in those years. What I can tell you from being there and playing in those years is this; Cattrano was as good as any American 3-cushion player.

Good posting Baron, and welcome here also!

The "lower level" remark was not intended to be disparaging to Jimmy C Jr, just my take on their respective speeds. And to be honest with you, I know way more about Larry than I do about Jimmy. From what I do know about them both, if they had an "all-around" showdown between these two, and the games were 1P, 3 cushion and 14.1, I would still have to take Shorty.
Maybe others will pick Jimmy also. No matter,because all any of us can do is speculate now anyway....
I like these type of posts a lot, the comparisions of one great player with another. Thanks for your contributions to this thread!

The Baron

Terry Ardeno said:
Good posting Baron, and welcome here also!

The "lower level" remark was not intended to be disparaging to Jimmy C Jr, just my take on their respective speeds. And to be honest with you, I know way more about Larry than I do about Jimmy. From what I do know about them both, if they had an "all-around" showdown between these two, and the games were 1P, 3 cushion and 14.1, I would still have to take Shorty.
Maybe others will pick Jimmy also. No matter,because all any of us can do is speculate now anyway....
I like these type of posts a lot, the comparisions of one great player with another. Thanks for your contributions to this thread!

Thanks, Terry.
For the record; I didn't take your remarks about Jimmy as disparaging. It was just ironic to me that you mentioned Jimmy and Larry in the same post. I was very tight with both of them. The amazing irony to me was this; if there was anyone who truly knew JC Jrs 'all-around' speed, it was Larry Johnson.

I loved playing against both of them, but I also loved when they played each other. The two of them had a love/hate relationship. They respected each other greatly, yet at the same time HATED losing to each other if they played heads up. Still, if one lost to the other they could stomach that more than if they had lost to 'one of the other guys'. They also shared a common bond; they both missed the '60's.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Amen.....

Amen.....

The Baron said:
Thanks, Terry.
For the record; I didn't take your remarks about Jimmy as disparaging. It was just ironic to me that you mentioned Jimmy and Larry in the same post. I was very tight with both of them. The amazing irony to me was this; if there was anyone who truly knew JC Jrs 'all-around' speed, it was Larry Johnson.

I loved playing against both of them, but I also loved when they played each other. The two of them had a love/hate relationship. They respected each other greatly, yet at the same time HATED losing to each other if they played heads up. Still, if one lost to the other they could stomach that more than if they had lost to 'one of the other guys'. They also shared a common bond; they both missed the '60's.
Don't we ALL miss the sixties ???

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
Never ran into San Jose Dick until the mid 90s. Never ran into Chuck Morgan either. Would have ducked both of them anyway, they were both monsters. No Onepocket for sure.

the Beard

Freddy,

I sure hope that the Duck doesn't see this:) .

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Freddy,

I sure hope that the Duck doesn't see this:) .

Dennis

Not to worry, Bar Rag Breath...Super Duck has once again saved the world from Blusterbeard and his dwindling minion's..;)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Suddenly I'm accurate?

Suddenly I'm accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
Never ran into San Jose Dick until the mid 90s. Never ran into Chuck Morgan either. Would have ducked both of them anyway, they were both monsters. No Onepocket for sure.

the Beard

Freddy,

I sure hope that the Duck doesn't see this .

Dennis

Exaggeration of course. Right Duckie? Has your pal the Freezer called you yet with his victory news? Have you thoroughly investigated the "hug" the Beard story yet?

Huggie Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Quote:

the Beard

Freddy,

Dennis

Exaggeration of course. Right Duckie? Has your pal the Freezer called you yet with his victory news? Have you thoroughly investigated the "hug" the Beard story yet?

Huggie Beard

BlusterBeard,

(1)...I do not understand your "ran into" sentence...(2) What makes you think I would care in the least, if you and Scott are gay..(not that theres anything wrong with that)...:p

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:

the Beard

Freddy,

My memory isn't what it used to be so I'll ask you. Wasn't there a barbox at the Rack, up front by the(closed in my day) snack counter? Isn't that the table that Watson beat Rosie or someone out of a million on?

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yeah that's it

Yeah that's it

Cowboy Dennis said:
Freddy,

My memory isn't what it used to be so I'll ask you. Wasn't there a barbox at the Rack, up front by the(closed in my day) snack counter? Isn't that the table that Watson beat Rosie or someone out of a million on?

Dennis

Yeah, that put a bar box in the late 70s,80s? It wasnt there in the beginning. In front of the old snack counter and the bathroom. It was next to the 4 1/2 x 9 that got most of the action. (The table where Romberg beat Weenie Beanie out of 200k). That bar box was where Watson came from sleeping on the bench to beating Rosie out of millions. I never played a game on it.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
More proof of senility

More proof of senility

the Beard

Freddy,

Dennis

As the Duck Diver has espoused so regularly, how can you take any of my claims without a wink and a nod?

What I meant to say was:
Never ran into San Jose Duck until the mid 90s. He would have "ducked" me anyway. He threw cold water on everything, he was a "moisturer." No Onepocket for sure, except on a 5 x 10.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
Yeah, that put a bar box in the late 70s,80s? It wasnt there in the beginning. In front of the old snack counter and the bathroom. It was next to the 4 1/2 x 9 that got most of the action. (The table where Romberg beat Weenie Beanie out of 200k). That bar box was where Watson came from sleeping on the bench to beating Rosie out of millions. I never played a game on it.

Beard

That barbox was pretty much just a place to sit while watching a match as I recall. I never did see a game on it but I wasn't an everyday fixture there either. Watson played near my speed and we played several times on the snooker table. A good guy to gamble with. I've seen him in a couple of large games at the Rack.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:

the Beard

Now he's just a Duck:eek: .

P.S. I didn't realize I had already quoted this post twice. I started reading it(this thread) from the beginning and stopped when I saw Freddy's post. I guess this is the 3rd time I've done this:eek: .

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Pops "Peanuts" Panczko

Pops "Peanuts" Panczko

the Beard

Now he's just a Duck .

I absolutely refract that statement. As a famous old-time burglar in Chicago (Pops "Peanuts" Panczko) once told the police, "I dont know nuttin', and I can prove it."

Beard